sunny.v

she/her | asian
wtw community’s official older sister
running off into the sunset with circe
est. april 27, 2020

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
satire sorceress, lady knight

she clasps peonies, allure, & love

here’s to the playground slide being too hot and going to get a spongebob bandaid from the nurse and the cafeteria serving $1 ice cream popsicles on thursdays

your childhood lies on the bottom of the hourglass

29

an hourglass sits on the bottom of a dusty bookshelf / sand spills through, you are powerless to stop it / size 4 rain boots discarded under your bed / there is an old board game that you can’t find the instruction manual to / your mom probably threw it away / or was it you that tossed it out, childish pride and a lack of hindsight? / what’s the use in remembering?

minute by minute / your favorite dress with sequins is now much too tight / but your mother’s shoes fit just right / silly bandz and crayola smeared hands / rewind, rewind, grown girl / the static of the hot playground slide made your hair stick up / you don’t know if it still does / and you probably never will / you wonder if the mulch will miss you

caprisun raids and sweaty soccer games / look in the mirror: see how you’ve changed / follow the line leader to get to recess / but who leads me now? / jumprope competition and hopscotch repetition / the lunch ladies point you to the bathroom pass / your kindergarten teacher sends you off to read to the class / “your daughter’s a pleasure to have in the classroom, you know”? / turn back time, and see where you’ll go

-true story lol during nap time my pre-k teacher (bless her heart) was like “pst sunny wake up and take that cat book to ms. m’s first grade class to read to them” and i did because i was a boss
-childhood nostalgia and missing when you were younger! there’s no turning back time to the kindergarten era, but at least you’ll keep the memories
-this is my first time trying this format and i nearly cried. i don’t know what i’m doing. i just make evil little words with my evil little hands and then they’re your problem

• June 26, 2020 - 1:56am (Now Viewing)

i love the sensory details here, particularly the bit about the static on the slides and the caprisun and soccer games- just hearing the word "caprisun" brings back such a vivid taste. great work here! :)

• inanutshell

love the title! the second stanza hits close to home for me, esp the part about the playground 'you wonder if the mulch will miss you' i haven't been for years and its so different now, i wonder the same as well :( this piece makes me weak but in like a good way if that makes sense

also, q&a answers are up! thanks for asking! :)

• elliem

Reply: oh ahaha thank you for doing that and for bringing it to my attention in the first place. The way you approached it was really mature and I’m flattered that you did that for me. Have a good day/night! :)

• anonymous_123

replying: Oh my goodness! I should have thought of that! I wasn't thinking, but I think it's ok though since I gave them credit but I guess I'll still ask

• Gabriel Goodwin

replying: ACK! I DUNNO AHNA IRL! (oh also sorry all caps not mad hehe) I just know her here in WTW because I'm that O L D ~~~ Like really old, so old I'm old.

I still have a lot to do before I go... I realized that after going through this site huhu but rest assured I'm doing great and this community is amazing!!!

Also hi ;)

• Gabriel Goodwin

replying: You're flattering me too much ;-; I just miss the community here in WRITE THE WORLD AHHHHHH And, well, as much as I wanna stay, I wanna try other things too, like writing for college and other places, so it's really sad that I'm leaving but it's probably for the best...I did come back to pack up and go so at least I can do this much ;-; I'M NOT CRYING YOU ARE AHHHHHHHHHHH BUT THANK YOU ALSO FOR BEING SO SWEET AND WELCOMING WITH A WRITER YOU JUST MET I MEAN I REALLY AM THANKFUL SUNNY AHHH!!!

Hope you keep writing! I'll follow your IG soon huhu my fellow INFJ friend :D

• A Rose

This puts all my feelings as of late in one place

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

This piece is beautiful, and so relatable too!! I love how you threw in some rhyming bits in the last stanza, it made the piece all the more fun to read!! "caprisun raids and sweaty soccer games" -- yessss, I can very much relate to that; when I was younger somebody would always bring juice after our games but then I'd have such a hard time not poking the straw through the back of the juice pouch lol. Anyways, this was a wonderfully written piece, it felt as if I was immersed in nostalgia the entire time I was reading it: your imagery is so vivid!! Incredible job!! :)

• aosora

replying: thank you for your lovely comment. while the thigh/femur bit is not to be taken quite literally (as in not a physical injury) but i think you can figure out the vestiges of what i mean lol.

i hope your acl is getting better, and i hope it comforts you when i say i am thinking of you.

• Gabriel Goodwin

Replying:

"aaaah cyborg boyfriend? you did this so flawlessly, i love it~"

YESSSSS!!! You guessed it right hehe! And, honestly, I was just having fun writing the piece. Thanks for loving it!

"ack i’m vietnamese but i’m often asked if i’m a filipina (did i use that correctly?) but anyways: this was so cool!!"

You used it right don't worry :D I can see we would be mistaken as the same thing XD Asians just being asians HAHAHA

• elliem

"follow the line leader to get to recess / but who leads me now? /"

• elliem

Reply: thank you so much for your sweet comment on my piece! You had me smiling the whole time. Yep. YA authors definitely need some more diversity in their works. Have a great night! <3

• Gabriel Goodwin

Hi sunny.v!!! Thanks for saying hi on my post (and for being the first comment too *yehay high-five!!!*) I'm still fixing up some things here and there before my profile says goodbye :((( But, thanks for recognizing your seniors XD IDK WHAT TO SAY REALLY HAHAHAHA BUTTTTTTTTT....well, feel free to check out my works and I'll be doing the same huhuhu I just miss writing here ;-;

Anyway, I like this piece!!! It's poetic and goes so well with each image you were incorporating into the piece!!! It does its job well to send nostalgia to the readers (even if this was a personal memory of yours). It's relatable and I love the imagery. I love the title too!!! It sounds like the hourglass is a time machine for a "trip down memory lane" for me :D

That's all! Have a great day!

• løne wølf

<3
    teach me your ways!

• naomi ling

replying: thank u for the wishes; the crepes turned out acceptable for a first try. you might have to teach me a thing or two sometime! also for june highlights i'm debating commenting again and nominating all of ur june pieces... they're phenomenal <33

Replying: Haha I didn't even realize that was a real term; it just felt right. And we're all under the untouchable category, but I'm the only one she said "genuinely scares me from time to time" about, so if you look at my comments on that post, you'll see me desperately trying to set the record straight.

Replying: Yeah, I did edit it for a comp a while ago; you're fine lol. I'm stunned (and nearly horrified) that Sid thinks I'm scary. According it BuzzFeed, I'm 50-75% cottagecore, which sounds about right. I love cottages and the cottage life, but I'm more of a semi-rustic cabin at the edge of the woods person.

• Vinter Vejen

*slams head against desk* this is so lovely. you violent piece of words. teach me your ways.
    ‘ an hourglass sits on the bottom of a dusty bookshelf’
    I love that part so much. the vibes it gives me is just everything. i love it.
    also saw your comment on one of mia’s works. what are you going round wielding chainsaws for, hm? violent cockatoo you

ahh this is so wonderfully sweet and nostalgic. line breaks are such a fun format, I'm glad you're experimenting with them as well, cause it definitely works.
    Also, oh my goddd silly bandz are such a throwback. I swear I have like a pack that's just gathering dust at the back of my cupboard.

• naomi ling

YES THIS and also i saw ur comment on someone's post (i forget) and i'm making crepes for father's day too tomorrow :")) first time i'm trying so i hope it won't flop!!

• mia_:)

replying: yeah, trying to be better at reading more work and writing longer comments, so i decided to start with your work since i HECKIN LOVE IT! so glad that i made your day and thank you for cutting onions with a chainsaw (quite a show, my dear) and for the nectarines *promptly shoves them into my mouth* ILYSM!!!!! <3<3<3

• mia_:)

*sits stunned for half of eternity* ack, the nostalgia hit me in the feels! your flow was amazing and i loved how some of the lines rhymed and it was so *chef kiss*. this would make great spoken word! your footnotes are hilarious, lol! this is the best *problem* i've ever had to *deal with* :D why can't we all be peter pan and never grow up?
    "caprisun raids and sweaty soccer games / look in the mirror: see how you’ve changed" the flow, the rhyme mmm yesss. for some reason this almost feels dr. seuss-esque (?) and i also love "silly bandz and crayola smeared hands". this kid in my fifth grade class unsuccessfully tried to "bring back" silly bandz lol. i was rock painting with my sister yesterday and she was like using her hand as a palate! that was like, why? so, yeah, this piece was kinda a bittersweet tribute to growing up and i loved it! sorry for my incoherent babbling lol <3<3 *returns to the park with the gremlin and pushes her down the slide gently*

• birthdaycandles

ahhh i don't wanna grow up, TAKE ME BACK! this brought back a lot of nostalgia.
    "crayola smeared hands" reminded me of the time i spilled juice on my crayons, so i put them on the radiator to dry them out, and well yeah you can probably picture my mammy's face when she realised lol! it takes a special kind of writer to write something that everyone can relate to or remember something similar from their own lives- and based on my comment and some of the others before mine you've clearly managed that well! kudos to you :))

haHA i bet you weren't expecting that 38 minute wait time ok nevermind-
    "your favorite dress with sequins is now much too tight / but your mother’s shoes fit just right" clever clever wow. isn't that both the saddest and proudest thing?
    "or was it you that tossed it out, childish pride and a lack of hindsight?" ack, that one thing you remember vividly from your childhood but can't seem to find even though it's that close. line leader...caprisuns....those last few lines..... my brain's sorta fried rn but i miss elementary school and you wrote it out and maybe i don't need elementary school i just need this piece.
    you did great with this format! don't rag on yourself, it was something different that you tried for the first time and you totally rocked it! imma take a page from your book (that decision happiness quote is MINE) and say mwah<3 *blows kissies runs away

Replying: Yeah, that 2nd version was probs NIrV. My bro is definitely more popular than me XD. Either you love him or hate him, and it's usually the former. One of his most recent quotes "If they turn her face into spaghetti on page 90, I'm gonna have serious concerns about your reading content."

Replying: Oh, and the black dress is prettier than it sounds; for being covered in sequins, it's so elegant and pretty.

Replying: Bwahaha, I can relate to your dress raving, your teacher having you read, and the translation thing. NIrV is NIV for kids and I was so prissy about being able to read the "real" version so young. There's this video of my brother and me on stage at like 4 or 5, and I'm the one reading (he took a year to catch up) the story of Solomon or something. But he's just standing there and rocking back and forth, leeeaaaaning over my shoulder, and generally being an attention hog XD. He's had a dramatic flair since he could breathe.

Replying: hahaha its actually totally fiction.Its just a character I made up.So ya I don't have a boyfriend or anything like that lol but thanks so much heeehee

Replying: K so the first dress I mentioned is a somewhat form-fitting sequined black dress with beautiful designs on the front my cousin in Israel gave me because my other cousin ended up getting married while we were there and I had nothing to wear. It was a tad big for me then, but a couple years later fit like a dream. The other dress is its polar opposite; a seafoam blue-green knee length beauty with simple ruffle and lace detailing. I wore that for my 8th-grade promotion and a 9th-grade dance.
    I remember at the tiny church I went to when I was little, I was in a combined class for pre-k (me) to like 3rd grade or something. And I was correcting much older kids on reading the Bible. My mom was helping out and trying not to crack up. Oh, and the NIrV translation was so offensive to stuck up elementary school me.

Ahhhh this is so nostalgic and perfect and so freaking relatable I am in awe. I also have so many dresses that I love that are too small! *annoyed face*
    Also your footnotes are hilarious !

I also relate to your pre-k anecdote. In like 1st grade, I was accepted into a class for like 2nd-4th graders because I could read as well as them (and sometimes better XD). And when I was 4, I participated in my first theatrical production for 3rd-5th (I think) graders for the same reason. My reading level is probably about normal now, but as a kid, I could not stop. I think it's because I was super bored of the kiddy books.

• Eblinn

this brought back so many memories. wow, i guess we can never go back to those times huh. i like the format, trying new stuff is scary but always works out!

This is so accurate and nostalgic it's ridiculous. Like how can it be possible to relate to something that much?? "your favorite dress with sequins is now much too tight" UGH mine is!! Well not that tight, but too short to wear to school dances and too fancy to wear anywhere else. Which sucks because it's like the prettiest dress I own (besides one other dress that's also short now).