chrysanthemums&ink

ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴡᴏʀʀʏ 'ʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴛᴏᴍᴏʀʀᴏᴡ ᴀɴʏᴍᴏʀᴇ.

i actually wrote this WEEKS ago but only really remembered now. i could probably write it better but there's nothing saying i can't revisit this at a later time, right? *shrugs

girls, don't be afraid to ask your nurse or coach for tampons or pads (if you don't already keep them in your binder or smth). if you have a good, guy teacher, they'll understand, especially if they have daughters. and if a guy in your class asks you rudely? just say you're bleeding out. bc you are. it's life or death.

gosh i just realized how much i could overshare abt periods lol. but yeah, i reserve the right to have the opinion that pads kinda really a lot suck. TOODLES-

have i just been betrayed

shampoo, water, and red tinted fingernails

22

who knew tampons could soak up red wine / here's an invitation to the nuptial of / scarlet soaked seat covers and / rust red mattresses / and you wonder why i know how to scrub blood out my clothes / the wedding bells ring in the fetal position / smashes against my ovaries / flesh wallpaper is being / forcefully stripped off its walls / no, even the tears of adolescent girls cannot compare to the horror of seeing their own body / splayed out on the sheets / 

who ever told dad what it was a good idea to not have / a trashcan / in the downstairs bathrooms? / socks slipping on mahogany floor tiles / i almost break my arm slamming into the / hallway wall / run girl run / do you cry in the middle of the night / or grit your teeth / losing sleep to scouring blood off of / undergarments? / 

little girls learn to not think about their bloody future / and to not hit the sixth grader that blocks your way to the girls' bathroom / learn to mind the 1cm crack in the door / and wonder who the hell designed restroom stalls / crouching in the dark and unwrapping a floral patterned sanitary napkin / little girl, does it hurt? / bottles of ibuprofen jingle like bedazzled backpack charms / clutch the eighth grade water fountain / soldier on / 

a whole week of / dying in our skin / it's best not to look forward in cases like this / to not remind yourself that the many years you will be alive will be / red / close the curtain / let the next three weeks pass without reminding yourself / until that day comes again / 

it's just a little / red /

• July 9, 2020 - 2:06pm (Now Viewing)

Wow this is amazing and so, so true. Thank you for this! "a whole week of / dying in our skin / it's best not to look forward in cases like this / to not remind yourself that the many years you will be alive will be" I definitely relate to this so much. And the ending is spot on!!! Brilliant.

• poetri

Reply: Of course you may link it! It's meant to help people, after all, and so you spreading the message would be wonderful. Thank you for your kind words, too :)
    All the best

• kealoha

Just...Wow. Never thought I'd be reading a piece like this, but it is so breathtaking. You really did this subject justice!

• løne wølf

oooh, i really like the imagery and word choice here. i love the last line, "it's just a little / red /" i love dis <333

replying: hAhA! that's just another example of my limitless stupidity. im so, so sorry for calling you sunny; she used to have a pfp similar to yours ;-; haaaaaaaaaa, im stupider than i thought lmao. your writing is amazing, beautiful, and marvelous in every aspect; i just want you to know how much i admire you, even though i messed up your user :)

• aosora

menstruation just really sucks, but i adore how you have taken the mundane pain and twisted it into something so lovely, kind of like popping an unassuming piece of candy and realizing you really do relish it. that is how your poetry reads, so simple, so pure and so invigoratingly magical.

for your smol, tiny age, you're way ahead of the curve and it makes me envious lmfao. kids these days are way too talented.

• erin!

i mean the first sentence had me intrigued, but this exceeded any expectation i had prior to reading. i'm not NEARLY this eloquent on my period (i mostly cry and complain) but i felt every bit of this here's to more taboo subjects and truth!

• A Rose

Bro.....this is gonna run through my mind...next month. You're welcome for the tmi

• fatpanda

first of all, i want to say that i absolutely LOVE it when people write about menstruation. i think it’s amazing how something so natural is said to be dirty/filthy or sacred, and how the writer gets their point across. “who knew that tampons could soak up red wine”-- i love that blood is being compared to wine here (is it?), it’s very well, poetic and ethereal-- like a ‘is my blood not as precious, and why do you roll your eyes when i say it hurts’ kind of vibe.
    “a whole week of / dying in our skin” beautiful beautiful beautiful.
    also really like the ending line-- it’s just enough “it's just a little / red /” amazingly encapsulates all the dismissal, it’s hurtful and strong; great job!

yessss girl periods are so taboo so it’s like *megaphone voice* to see them so openly talked about. it’s funny how at my school, boys can talk about their...stuff...but ONE girl goes to the bathroom with her bag/purse and everyone’s like “EWWWWWWW.” anyways.
    “ / and you wonder why i know how to scrub blood out my clothes / the wedding bells ring in the fetal position / smashes against my ovaries /” is such a raw and nasty line that I love so much. like, you really get into the nitty gritty mess of periods, and the “smashing” really brings in how much pain it is to be having one LOL.
    “ a whole week of / dying in our skin / it's best not to look forward in cases like this / to not remind yourself that the many years you will be alive will be / red /” YES. the anticipation/anxiousness of the years to come of periods is *cries*. you write it so vividly and with the exact sentiment.
    and that ending line? perfect. it’s so lighthearted and sarcastic, especially since we know it’s an understatement. bruh u can even make a piece about PERIODS glorious like the talent? whew. so poignant despite the subject matter. queen talking about taboo topics and slaying as per usual!

• inanutshell

periods are def a taboo thing so it's great that you're openly sharing about it here! "the wedding bells ring in the fetal position / smashes against my ovaries / flesh wallpaper is being / forcefully stripped off its walls" that's such a unique & apt way of putting it, always feels like a part of me is being ripped out (which i guess it is). great piece! but sorry gotta agree w outoftheblue pads are def better to me :) prob the asian culture thing, tampons are rarely sold here bc of that.

omg also the restroom stalls thing... when i visited the US that was something i def did not expect. why is there a glaring gap between the stalls??? is that not super weird??? thought it was a mistake until i noticed every public restroom had the gaps lol

• Dmoral

throwback to when i had an unexpected melt down in chem class and asked my teacher to go to the nurse, only to find out she wasn't there and go to a psychology teacher i loved (i never had) and get, and overall skipping class for 30 mins and return with 3 hall passes all from different teachers. came in crying still, but had on a new pair of pants (that didn't match my outfit), sat in the back of the room taking no notes for the remainder of class, and then when the bell rang i went up to my chem teacher and said "sorry that happened" and he was like "it's okay, i understand" cause he JUST KNEW and acted like it was cool and okay. because it was. i was having one of THOSE period days.

"crouching in the dark and unwrapping a floral patterned sanitary napkin / little girl, does it hurt? /" Okay wow. Did not expect to relate so much to this. Is it odd that I kinda want to see more period poetry now? Bc the way you've expressed it is just- just so compelling "losing sleep to scouring blood off of / undergarments?/
    And then this end- "it's just a little / red /"
    *Chef's kiss*
    (pads are way better than tampons imo ;)