sunny.v

she/her | asian
wtw community’s official older sister
running off into the sunset with circe
est. april 27, 2020

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
satire sorceress, lady knight

she clasps peonies, allure, & love

oof i definitely sucked at this prompt

seek refuge from a tender heart

PROMPT: Refuge

13

refuge is found in the gentle scratch of nails against my hairline, in the white noise of conversation pulling me into a trance, in the deft fingers that curl soothingly through my hair
refuge is found in a crushing embrace that pleasantly pushes the air from my lungs, in the comfort of being held for a minuscule pocket of time, in the giddy feeling of swaying back and forth in caring arms
refuge is found in linked fingers and palms pressed effortlessly together, in swinging arms while walking side by side, in soft skin against skin that seeps warmth into my veins
refuge is found in a shoulder to lean my head on, in squealing and squishing friends like pancakes onto their mom’s couch cushions, in tickling each other until a champion is crowned

refuge is found in touch from friends, and missing them is just part of the deal

quarantine’s left me kind of quote unquote touch starved :( i just want a hug from some friends, because truly, physical affection and love from my gals is my refuge <\3

Why have i just found this now... it's so beautiful. im crying, hun. join the club for touch starved... to be fair me and my friends we never really hug lol, we just violently express our love by playing 'ouch'. this is so sweet though. i really like it.
    'refuge is found in the gentle scratch of nails against my hairline, in the white noise of conversation pulling me into a trance, in the deft fingers that curl soothingly through my hair'
    this made my heart drop, it's so clearly described and i could visualise it so vividly.
    ' in squealing and squishing friends like pancakes onto their mom’s couch cushions' this is so relatable... <3
    if i were to offer a constructive criticism it would be maybe expanding on the last line a bit?? idk, that's up to you ofc. it's really lovely nevertheless...
    also, on a side note, i'm having great fun with writing that piece. i'm too much of a sarcasm lover for it to make any sense lmao. also i think my sense of humor really is showing through in it heh.

• birthdaycandles

sunny: a crushing embrace that pleasantly pushes the air from my lungs
    me: getting squeezed to death so you can barely breathe

Exhibit a, sunny writing about one of those kinds of hugs we all know you get from your great aunt at Christmas and other family gatherings, and yet still managing to portray it so delicately and beautifully.
    And what you said about missing touch, that reminded me of the end of that 5 feet apart movie ;’( *sending a plethora of virtual hugs your way*

• Eblinn

This made me totally soft! the sweet, tender safety this radiates is immaculate.
    "in soft skin against skin that seeps warmth into my veins" !!!! i'm speechless, this is outstanding!!!
    "in squealing and squishing friends/ like pancakes onto their mom’s couch cushions"
    pancakes on cOuch cushions, that's brilliant, wow
    I would have to quote every single line of this piece because I adore them all. (I won't though, to not waste any space (this is just the internet, I know buT principles)
    Having said that, if I could print and frame this, I totally would.
    Also, thank thank thank you for your comment!!!
    YOU stay awesome :)

• A Certain Type of Decisive

Wholesomeee :) Humans are creatures made to hold each other- this piece filled me with the warm fuzzies!!

• Gabriel Goodwin

You did great!!! This was lovely and I too miss my friends the dearest bunch and I just want to see them too and give them one big hug! Keep writing!

• mia_:)

this is so sweet and relatable! it breaks my heart that we all have to go through this, but we'll take it in stride together! your virtual hug should arrive on your front porch in 3-5 days . . . :) ily! This was so well written! *mwah* *hugs the gremlin*

• elliem

This is so heartbreaking and stunning. Also, I’m sending you virtual hugs right now!! :)

"refuge is found in a shoulder to lean my head on, in squealing and squishing friends like pancakes onto their mom’s couch cushions, in tickling each other until a champion is crowned" possibly the CUTEST images ever, and something i can relate to as well!

wHAT i found this too late. i don't think i was that touchy touchy with my friends (like to the point that you wrote), but reading this definitely made me miss them :/. the school year ended too early. no, you didn't suck at this prompt! this was beautiful and so sweet :)
    "refuge is found in linked fingers and palms pressed effortlessly together, in swinging arms while walking side by side, in soft skin against skin that seeps warmth into my veins" ;-;

• naomi ling

this!! i'm pretty touchy and i miss hugging and punching my friends playfully u and me girl :"))

I know! I'm not that touchy with my family, but I am with my friends, so my parents have been getting extra cuddles lately. And I love how you write this piece!!
    Is your love language physical touch?