Cressida

she/her | mixed
aspiring scientist and writer | musician

status: constantly eating cheetos

joined: late april, 2020

I don't know what this is! Yay for (poetic?) insanity on a page?

metal metamorphosis

12

it has begun to char again. this heart, that is. this heart that caves
    in upon itself, heaving up beating bits of blood,
                                        carving off crimson to the slaughter.
                (to some sort of sacrilegious sacrifice.)

& tell me:
         why does my heart not whirl in mechanical synchronization?
    why does my chest not click, a metallic machine that no god ever created

(click, click, click).

& do you ever remember a moment (yes,
            a fraction of a moment) when this heart existed,
    purely existed,
                            of cerulean butterflies & twilight moonlight?
            dancing with naked feet on sandy, pitch beaches.
                                plucking ripe apples off of divine morsels
    of nature humanity did not deserve to desecrate. no,

no. this heart was manufactured
            for ones & zeros,
    true & false,
                                                but, it has begun to char again,
            put to the scorching. some sort of hellfire/holy fire/an angel's burning breath.

& it would be easier to be metal.
    ticking, melted clocks & spinning gears. malfunctions that have explanations.

(but, watch the heart's flesh flake off, black & molted. watch closely. watch this metamorphosis occur. blood to wires. thoughts to code. meat to metal). 

& a scorching may come / [a scorching will come], / & my lethal liquefaction will arrive / [silver skin melting, dripping, shining]./ but, these metallic lips will give an electric grin / & whisper: "it is time."
This makes utterly no sense. I've been in a little bit of a writer's block lately. Well, I don't know if I would call it 'writer's block.' It's more of a "I have no motivation to do anything." But I tried to churn something out, and honestly, this is pure nonsense. Though, I did want to write something nonsensical, so there you have it? 

• Dmoral

im in love with this, oh my gosh...

reading this is so incredibly visceral, and it has a certain rhythm to it, like the pounding of a heart getting faster and faster and more desperate. god, the imagery here is just so specific and fantastic!

• Eblinn

I love this! it kind of makes sense because poetry always does in its own way :)

• sherry171

"& it would be easier to be metal.
    ticking, melted clocks & spinning gears. malfunctions that have explanations." Wow. Even if this was meant to be nonsensical, I can find so much beauty and meaning in these little lines. With all the pain and heartbreak we suffer, sometimes it does feel easier to be metal. Awesome piece! :)

• purplepanache

this tugged at a raw nerve of mine somewhere. there is something chronically sad about it.

“ but, watch the heart's flesh flake off, black & molted. watch closely. watch this metamorphosis occur. blood to wires.” i LOVE this!! it really gave me action movie sci-fi vibes, honestly, and I love how you put in all the details like clicking and ones and zeros—that’s so clever.

this is beautiful 'nonsensical' and wow. kinda speechless rn because that last stanza hit way too hard and the build up was just *chefs kiss* even if you regret publishing this, i definitely do not regret reading this! <3