aosora

United Arab Emirates

meet me there someday

don't swallow gold. i have two tablespoons of sorrow.

sweetcorn

22

2009 
and sickly sunlight staggers towards
the dusk, unruly weekend-drunkards spilling
cash onto spit-studded pavements. 
i do not reach adult knees
chubby pincer-finger strangling pappa's phalanges.
one step is three skidding footprints of mine.
a lovely whoosh, air-con trailing soothe into damp
elbow crooks. creeping evenings do not halt cruel
summers. so much breath clogs up in small lungs.
there is a waft of butter in the air, prelude to
greasy fingers, smudged delicacy around wide
empty-toothed mouths. the smiling lady mixes
boiled sweetcorn in silver hemisphere (where 
does it cook?) and asks me if i'd like some black
pepper. 
i tell her to make it the spiciest she could,
lemon juice, red chilli powder, indian masala
in the gulf so poignant. scoop one ladle of
sweetcorn in paper cup. butter, butter, lemon,
pepper. stick plastic spoon. five dirhams.
mall memories. the sweetcorn waters drought-struck
tastebuds. grubby fingers that taste like salt.
hypermarket food samples, toothpick in fried sausages,
cheese sandwiches, chicken nuggets, chocolate cupcakes.
the recollection is as loud as the void of those unruly days.
childhood fools do not cry. childhood teeth tear gums 
into graveyard wounds. childhood tongues
die so early.

rift is alone now.

sweetcorn, sweetmouth, sweetmemory. unwrap the lollipop. let it explode on your tongue. twist the essence of strawberry around your mouth. remind yourself that living is too small. too sweet. too precious. bury your fears inside me. there will be old days, cold days, better days.

• July 17, 2020 - 11:04am (Now Viewing)

• Wicked!

This is so freaking beautiful asdfghjk the kind of unconventional way in which you describe things is just absolutely amazing. I usually feel really unqualified to comment on your pieces, but this piece is a damn masterpiece and I'm in awe.

i think i'm going to have to read this over again, this piece is so chock-full of gorgeous sensory details and such visceral imagery! those last lines especially hit me, "childhood teeth tear gums/into graveyard wounds. childhood tongues/die so early", i just sat back and thought "whoa." i wish i could like this a thousand times over, or at least pin it to the top of the dashboard so everyone could read this.

• asta

(woop i forgot to like this)

• asta

did we have the same childhood because i was just thinking about the food vendors at the mall ;-; sweet corn with masala in it is just *chef''s kiss*

"childhood teeth tear gums
    die so early."--this is so beautiful kill me now

unlike chrys i’m a cultured child who does know (it’s a southern u.s. thing) about sweet corn so ha-HA.
    ah, the way you write about childhood never ceases to amaze me. i’ve been in kind of a “mourning my youth while i am...still a youthful teen?” funk, and to be truthful, i reread your portfolio because i just *need* to be taken further into that mindset for whatever masochistic reason.
    “ i do not reach adult knees / chubby pincer-finger strangling pappa's phalanges. ”
    the way these lines are just PURE tiny little kid memories makes me sigh and swoon. i think your usual childhood pieces are more of a “i’m looking back now” but this piece is more “in the moment” if that makes any sense? i really love it! it’s like this little specific pocket of memory that’s personal/unique to you, yet it happens to define what childhood means for you (?) if i’m making. any sense. at all.
    “ childhood fools do not cry. childhood teeth tear gums
    into graveyard wounds. childhood tongues / die so early. ”
    i’ll admit that this threw me off a bit just because of the tone shift! i was enjoying that sweet corn and different foods but then it’s like i was slapped in the face a couple times and brought to the cynical present. so, so lovely. you’re a mastermind with your words, truly, and between me and you (shhh) probably one of the best writers on here. and there’s a lot of good writers. anyways: aosora, amazing as always! keep being your “beacon of light”-self that you are. i wish i saw you around more often, but it is what it is!! <3

me: an uncultured brat that had to search up sweetcorn. DON'T @ ME WE JUST DON'T HAVE IT OVER HERE-
    i think this may be one of the most poignantly written 'lost childhood' pieces i've ever seen on here (which i think is a sort of a common theme in your portfolio?). unlike the other pieces though, the sting of childhood is still fresh on your tongue, so close that you can almost taste it, almost relive it over and over being rose-tinted glasses. your descriptions are imagery in this section so vivid and 'real life' that we're almost there with you, buying sweetcorn and eyeing food samples. however, those last few lines bring us swiftly back to the present, and tinged with your piquant descriptions and word choices in the beginning, it brings a truly sorrowful, nostalgic feeling to the chest. lovely lovely work <3

replying: it was the least i could do to mention a brilliant writer like you! also yes, that is my age ;)

• spurtsofdarkness

absolutely brilliant. the imagery is stunning, i particularly liked 'one step is three skidding footprints of mine.' Amazing work

• purplepanache

holy, holy, holy shit. this piece has wrung my brain, it literally explodes with the taste of my childhood. god, the number of sweetcorn cups like these i have downed, outside lulu and dcc. they were heavenly, no doubt. and the food samples, they are absolutely the only reason my family buys groceries uwu. ''childhood tongues
    die so early'', this completely broke my heart. thank you so much for this gorgeousness.

p.s have you ever shoplifted shawarmas tho lmao?

• happygiggles

I really like this, it's very well written. It brings back happy memories yet it is also sad, it is very powerful. I look forward to seeing what else you write! (: