inanutshell

she/her/illiterate

hello, peer reviews for this would be appreciated! it's my first time writing in this formatting/style so i'd appreciate any good or bad feedback!

life advice no one asked for

13

it's hard for two people to grow and change at the same rate, and yes, everyone will learn that the hard way.

this hold she has over my heart / refuses to let go, like her / my heart clings to our past / disloyalty lurks in the background / did i create it? / or has this hesitation been here all along? / i need to stop pretending i know what i want / she thinks i've changed / i say you mean you haven't?

you may see an unbreakable future with someone, but i will tell you this vision will be split apart multiple times before you find the one you're meant for.

she sows the seeds of distrust / plants them in her own mind / without so much as a memo / was it that hard to let me know? / i don't need a knife in my back / to know what betrayal is / shifty eyes and dodged calls always / speak for themselves / we may change / but what we have never will / ... so at what point do we stop lying to ourselves?

you weren't put on this earth to suffer at the hands of people you love, but unfortunately, you will.

i yell at her, voice hoarse / hurt occupies itself in my mind / she'll call and explain soon, she promises / she drops meagre scraps of lackluster happiness in my lap / i fall for it every time, it's a gift she bestows / my honour to receive / so i say okay, i can wait / my pride shakes its head at me from a distance / humiliation welcomes me back / like an old friend, she walks away anyway / our growth chart halts itself, sensing a shift in our universe / all clear: universe proceeds to implode / what's the dissolution of a friendship / without the end of the world?

there's no promise the universe can't undo, no end goal that will look the same once time is done messing with it.

nothing stays the same / and all that will matter is acceptance / because people will come and go, / you will be pushed around from place to place / and your heart will never be the same / it will take a lot for you to realise that that's okay / don't we spend our whole lives trying to figure out life?

accept that change will be the only constant in your life, and laugh at the irony of it.

listen, i don't completely know what this is. realised that I'm a lot older than most of the people here despite being fairly new so here's what my bastard brain came up with. is this very cynical? yes, and also very driven by bitterness. don't take the title too seriously, this is more of me venting than actual solid advice. best i can give you: make good choices, and stay safe kids.

1

• HelpMe512

replying: oh no! I'm sorry your pride month hasn't been the best, but I'm also really glad my pride pieces have helped you. I hope it gets better, and I'm rooting for you in every possible way! <3

• naomi ling

thank you elder :")) HAHA this is so lovely and poignant. we have a bit of an age difference i think (??) and this is vv helpful. also noooo emotions are beautiful i was just feeling cynical and bitter then LOLL

• aditi

*mouth falling open* okay, this just might be one of the best pieces I’ve read on Wattpad. Thank you so much, totally needed this:P

• A Rose

Replying: honestly body positivity is so punk rock. Thanks for reminding me of that with your word choice of defiant!

• V-Rose

I just submitted a review!

replying: good luck with school next week!! and thanks for the love <3 i seem older than I am? interesting :o

• The Midnight One

That last line, wow accept that change will be the only constant in your life, and laugh at the irony of it.

I needed that, and this piece, thank you, so much.

• batman_is_a_cracker

Q&A answers are out!

"i don't need a knife in my back / to know what betrayal is" wow. thank you for writing this brilliant piece and for the advice! i've got a whole ton i could learn from you and this piece is just so poignant and stunning and wow. will reread definitely <3 love you.

*bows* thank you senior for the advice ;). but seriously “ you weren't put on this earth to suffer at the hands of people you love, but unfortunately, you will. ” made me cry. ALL of your lines of advice are so so poignant and so genuine that it astounds me. i’ve reread this about a hundred times—and i’ll do so in the future!! you should’ve put “you’re going to now reread this” in this advice piece ;) <3

*reads the below comment* oh cool we have the same birthday month lol
    Cool piece! Quite well written.

i love the seamless transitions between the little statements and then, the more philosophical/poetic verses in italics. and "accept that change will be the only constant in your life, and laugh at the irony of it."? one of the most hard-hitting and well-expressed statements ever.
    (thank you for the advice, and since you turn 19 in sept, i'm pretty sure you can stay on wtw till march, so don't leave us just yet! :)