elliem

Apparently, I'm 17
Come to my feed for free hugs :)
Somebody run through castle ruins at midnight with me

Acting
Dancing
Singing
Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
Petrichor
Soft girl/Dark academia mix
Virgo
ENFJ

WtW pixie

Thank you for reading and let me know if I missed anything! (If I get enough responses with ingredients that I missed, I may just make a part two.) ;)

5 Ingredients Every YA Fantasy Novel Needs

9
    1. The definitely-normal, feisty protagonist
    She's short and spunky, and she probably has either brown or red hair. She has one layer of her personality, and that's sarcastic. Of course, she's supposed to be written as a major-feminist, but really just comes off as a man-hater. Whoops? She develops the Insane Power That Nobody Saw Coming (TM) about two-thirds of the way through. Probably has daddy issues, and is as straight as a rod. She's the only one who could ever defeat the villain *cue rumbling thunder* (see below). At least one of her parents is out of her life (death, left at birth, etc.) or present in her life but horrible to her. Plain in appearance but also oh my gosh absolutely stunning.

2. The good-boy best friend
    He is more often caucasian than not. Bonus points if he's a blonde with such rare aqua-blue eyes wow. He tries to get involved in the action, but because he doesn't have the Insane Power That Nobody Saw Coming (TM), he's essentially useless in battle. He jokes around to hide his secret insecurity and is only there for comedic purposes. Even though he's known the definitely-normal, feisty protagonist his whole life, he only starts having feelings for her when she's shoving her tongue down the throat of the *bad* boy (see below). However, he's adorable and must be p r o t e c t e d at all costs.

3. The *bad* boy
    Bonus points if he looks identical to the good-boy best friend apart from his hair colour (which is probably black). He likely has had powers, or the ability to fight without breaking a sweat, for his whole life. He's an absolute master of his abilities and has nothing else that he could possibly learn, even though he's only seventeen-nineteen. He fights as much as he can, especially if it's a fight over the definitely-normal, feisty protagonist with the good-boy best friendThe definitely-normal, feisty protagonist will inevitably choose him because he's *attractive as heck*. However, he's always an asshole that rarely cracks jokes and has toxic masculinity so powerful, it poisons everyone around him.

4. That one gay character
    The fan favourite for many reasons. As opposed to the other characters, they are interesting, adorable, funny, and ignored too much in the book. They probably will die in the end (and only for the purpose of distressing the readers). Stereotypes are strong, and they are only there to insert diversity into the book. They play a smaller part in the plot than they should. They're the only one with their head screwed on straight. They are constantly pulling the first three ingredients out of trouble. Puts up with the definitely-normal, feisty protagonist's BS. The most multidimensional and layered character in the plot, but plays a painfully small part in the book.

5. The villain *cue rumbling thunder*
    Either really ugly or *really shmexy*. The true villain is often the hot and brooding son of a person in power (president, queen, leader of a rebellion, etc.) Sometimes the same as the *bad* boy. An absolute master of The Insane Power That Nobody Saw Coming (TM). If they begin the story as someone pretending to be good, that one gay character is probably their best friend. If they are "evil" the whole book, that one gay character absolutely hates their guts (likely because of a dark backstory). They are unstoppable, even though they never win any fights during the book. They will lose the final battle shortly after they kill that one gay character. :( All the villain *cue rumbling thunder* characters have the same personality: cunning, brave, probably homophobic, manipulative, and slimy. A lovely mixture!

Mix your five ingredients together with a dash of The Insane Power That Nobody Saw Coming (TM), a sprinkle of love triangles, and a teaspoon of plot holes, and you have yourself a YA Fantasy novel!
This is a plea to have more diversity in YA novels. This piece is inspired by Queen anoushka1705’s original piece, “5 Ingredients Every YA Novel Needs”. (Mine isn't nearly as funny or perfect as either of hers.) Thank you anoushka1705 for letting me use this idea! Make sure to check hers out as well as her sequel to it and show her some love! <3

• BizzleWrites

Oh, and also, I'm a huffleclaw to! :D

• BizzleWrites

Oh and also, it says link if you want a review in your bio so I was wondering if you could review this:
    Only if you don't mind.

• BizzleWrites

The one gay character is Nico from Percy Jackson.

• BizzleWrites

The one gay character is 'the only one with their head screwed on straight'. :D

• batman_is_a_cracker

Replying: Thanks XD I kept thinking of the vampire prompt like "that would be so uncomfortable but also funny" and the rest is history.

• batman_is_a_cracker

Replying: No, I haven't considered posting it on Wattpad. I'd probably make a second account (to keep all of my terrible fanfiction separate from a serious novel). Do you think I should?

everyone shading my comments :’( boohoo this is all of your villain origin stories >:’)))

Ahhdkdkshdgdjsks I LOVE THIS SO BLOODY MUCH. And omg the Insane Power That No One Saw Coming absolutely took me out every. Single. Time. I read it. This is way more in-depth than my piece lol. *Sees footnotes* awww Queen? Ah, you're too kind and I'm glad my crappy attempt at satire inspired this masterpiece. You must make a part two.

• MimiChoudhury

Why do I get major Shadowhunter vibes from this?? Lmao!!

Also, Chrys is so correct about the Sunny thing XD

Replying: Eek thank you

*rule of thumb: commenting after sunny will only give your own comment an inferiority complex which will be the driving reason for the best friend character's descent into evil (because main girl is too good at stuff oooOOOoo) and no one ever addresses the complex despite it being completely valid COUGH.
    honestly, there are so many ways tropes could be done RIGHT but YA authors be like: 'nope'. also, always frustrates the heck out of me when the main heroine is completely unlikable because she's just so... bland? like where is your personality outside of your willingness to follow the bad boy off a cliff? and is that even a personality trait? gosh, so annoying. loved this piece, can't say it much better than sunny did but wow i really fricking loved this piece. nO *insert creative girl name author made up themselves* hating men doesn't mean you're for feminism! it just means you're a misandrist! and ig that toxic masculine bad boy the exception to everything you 'hate' abt men amirite.
    haha i loved this. <3

I AM *DYING* HAHAHAHA I NOW SOUND LIKE A MANIAC

• spurtsofdarkness

Replying: Thanks! And also, greeeaatt piece :D

“ Of course, she's supposed to be written as a major-feminist, but really just comes off as a man-hater” OH MY GOSH I LOVE THAT. like every YA author is like “and she stands for WOMEN’S RIGHTS” but she...never...does anything...for other women. the “straight as a rod” literally took me out on impact, girl, i laughed so hard you are so right.
    “ He is more often caucasian than not” THE TRUTH THE TRUTH
    “ he only starts having feelings for her when she's shoving her tongue down the throat of the *bad* boy” oh my gosh call them out girlie! i get soooo annoyed at this trope so often so it’s like *deep sigh* the see it called out
    “ However, he's always an asshole that rarely cracks jokes and has toxic masculinity so powerful, it poisons everyone around him. ” high fives for you, my dear. high fives for you.
    “ They probably will die in the end” @ EVERY AUTHOR DOING THE “bury your gays” trope—STOP. JUST. STOP.
    “ The most multidimensional and layered character in the plot, but plays a painfully small part in the book. ” girlie that’s facts...our community *winks winks cough* is quite layered but so underrepresented. give us the spotlight, authors!
    “Either really ugly or *really shmexy*” let’s be real we’re all a sucker for a smexy villain
    THE LOVE TRIANGLES...SOCIETY HAS PROGRESSED PAST THE NEED FOR THEM.
    anyways this was so funny and so true and oh my gosh I love you for this *curses out ya novel writers* stop being soooo predictable and annoying, you writers! hehe thank u for writing this, it was so fun~

• inanutshell

haha yes. i dont read fantasy novels often but if it has any inclination of the first trope i usually skip it. "strong" female characters are always written the same way & its awfully annoying. you definitely hit the nail on the head there.