~wildflower~

15
Loves music, nature, poetry, emotive writing, thinking
Passionate about the environment
pianist, Christian, tall
~in love with the stars~
Joined April 2020

Proud member of the (unofficial) AHPU (Abnormal-Height Peoples' Union)

Previously called ‘Daisy + Sage’
—————
“Not all those who wander are lost” - J.R.R. Tolkien
“You can choose to either see the weed or the wildflower”
“Somehow, after everything, she still bloomed I’m the way she was meant to” - Morgan Harper Nichols
—————
Favourite words: whisper, echo, amongst, wanderer, lost, forgotten, meadow, galaxy, stardust, wisp, sonder, luminescence, nubivagant, solivagant
—————
Review for review

Australian National Refugee Week

5
—possible, minor trigger warning, mainly for paragraph in italics—

Hey everyone,
In Australia, this week is national refugee week... so I thought it would be the perfect time to bring up some issues around the topic of refugees and asylum seekers and raise some awareness.

Who is an asylum seeker and who is a refugee?
There is a common misconception of the definition of an asylum seeker and a refugee and the difference between them. In short, an asylum seeker is someone who has fled persecution on danger in their home nation and is seeking protection in another country, but has not yet been processed or officially recognised as a refugee. When they are processed and their asylum claim is considered valid, they become known as a refugee.  

How does a person become a refugee?
It is important to remember that people do not choose to become refugees - theoretically, it could happen to any one of us. A refugee is a person who is in such great danger in their country (and is often not protected by their government) that they have no choice but to leave. Things that may cause this are violence, wars, extreme poverty, persecution for religion, race etc. or it could result from natural disasters. 

What is immigration detention?
When asylum seekers/refugees arrive in a country, they will be held in ‘immigration detention’ until their claim has been processed and it is decided whether they will be allowed into the country or deported. In Australia, these people may be held in closed immigration detention facilities - which are essentially asylum seeker communities that they are not allowed to leave, or in community detention. While some countries have a limit on how long a person can be help in immigration detention, in others - such as Australia and the UK - they can be held indefinitely.

Statistics: 
- There are 70.8 million forcibly displaced people worldwide.
- 37,000 people are forced to flee there home every day, because of conflict or persecution. 
- The average time spent in immigration detention in Australia is 513 days, or 1.4 years. 
- Currently, half of all refugees in the world are aged below 18 (just like many of us), and about 110,000 of them are separated from their families. Currently, 3.7 million refugee children are out of school.

Asylum seekers are some of the most vulnerable people in the world, yet they are frequently mistreated. They are often imprisoned in immigration detention centres for years before they can enter a country, and this is only after facing the extreme danger that caused them to see asylum in the first place. But what is worse is that while kept in these detention centres, they are sometimes mistreated, facing inhumane conditions. According to ‘Amnesty.org’, “Asylum-seekers detained in the USA have often been treated like criminals: stripped and searched; shackled and chained; sometimes verbally or physically abused. Many are denied access to their families, lawyers and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) who could help them.”. In Australia, “They endure unnecessary delays and at times denial of medical care, even for life-threatening conditions. Many have dire mental health problems and suffer overwhelming despair—self-harm and suicide attempts are frequent. All face prolonged uncertainty about their future.”
Though some countries do treat these people properly, there are still major problems with the system of detention of asylum seekers around the world, and we need to make change.

----

Thanks for reading this! The purpose of this was to raise awareness. I encourage you to research this  in relation to your own country, and to find out how you might be able to help from where you are.
xx Daisy + Sage.

P.S
If you want to learn more about this issue and find out how to help, try checking out these websites: UNHCR (the UN refugee agency), Amnesty International or the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre.
I also strongly recommend the young adult novel by Zana Frallion, 'The Bone Sparrow'. It is beautiful, heartbreaking, harrowing, incredibly powerful and so so sad, but it is essentially what empowered me to pursue this issue. It is set in an Australian immigration detention centre, but I'm sure it would apply to other places as well. 

• June 20, 2020 - 1:05am (Now Viewing)

• lindsmariebuck

This is most definitely helpful and informative :)

Thank you for educating me.

thank you for spreading awareness!