Anne Blackwood

16
Theatre kid
Singer (soprano)
Poet
Twin (fraternal)
Spoonie
Disfusive
Highly Sensitive Person
Living oxymoron
Kindness Krusader: Blueberry cotton candy
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

Better title maybe?

The Unity of a Summer Haze

14

There's something poetic about our Walmart parking lot.
Carts rattling, music pouring from a car speaker.
Somewhere, there's a rooster crowing, too,
But that has less to do with Walmart and more to do with this town.

The heat is fermenting the morning
Into more than the 88 degrees the meteorologists promised,
And the faint breeze is nothing more than
An infrequent whisper that barely makes it through the cracked windows.

These high heels are somewhat at odds with my t-shirt and ripped shorts,
But who can wear more practical clothing under the California sun?
We are brought together with the common ground beneath our feet.
Age and size are no matter here;
Sunglasses and short sleeves are the uniform of our home.

• June 15, 2020 - 12:15am (Now Viewing)

• mia_:)

Soooo with you on the heat thing! How is it already so hot? It wasn't too bad today, which is lucky, but we had a few 100 degree days in MAY! Anyway, this piece is amazing! I love how comforting it feels, like home.

I love how this really captures summer and all its blistering heat. Really makes me think of a hot day with haze coming up from car tops.

Replying- ah, maybe they have more than one name. Waraq inab is not actually from here, it’s more a Levantine food. The gulf has other traditional foods here which are also good ;) We use beef mostly as well.
    Also your mom is from there? that’s awesome <3 you mentioned you’ve been there before, thats cool! I also have palestinian heritage. have you been to the coast? I heard that it’s gorgeous

• purplepanache

you're writing is so sweet, it evokes all these soft, simple emotions in me TT

this is so good gah!
    Replying- i looked it up, those are the english name for them methinks...? We call them waraq ‘inab in palestine and jordan as far i am aware ; )

replying: aw thank you! eh it’s alright honestly haha i don’t let it bother me so so much

• inanutshell

oooh i've never seen a walmart but i've always heard jokes about the weirdness of walmarts lol. also 'Sunglasses and short sleeves are the uniform of our home' SAME! hot as hell here as well, this is so well written and so aptly put!

• elliem

Gorgeous again, Anne. You could take literally anything and romanticize it to make it something absolutely stunning.

"The heat is fermenting the morning" YOU'RE TOO GOOD ACK. and i can hear those carts rattling in the first stanza too, your descriptions are simply exquisite.

aaaah what the heck i love this! it’s probably cause i love mundane descriptions of city life and i love california but you describe it so cutely. the walmart parking lot drew me in LOL i have to admit. oh, sunny loves a good california description.