sunny.v

she/her | asian
wtw community’s official older sister
running off into the sunset with circe
est. april 27, 2020

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
satire sorceress, lady knight

she clasps peonies, allure, & love

this was a mess that i’ll probably unpublish but here’s to coming of age and forgetting enigmatic beauties on cruise ships and mourning childhood and loving cherry limeade from a shot glass. mwah, really.

i think i cried for a desert mirage

18

my dream sucker-punched me ‘till my temples were purple and turned to give me butterfly kisses ‘till my cheeks turned pink

smoking isn’t allowed on cruises
i think people smell nicotine and remember that the water can only gets you so far away. i think it grounds them to reality
and i tell the girl that sits next to me at the pool bar as such, a stub between her fingers
(i think she’s real pretty. i don’t remember her face, but sometimes—you just know.)
she laughs, and uses my glass ice cream bowl as her ash tray

i keep my mouth shut more often than not, i’m not embarrassed about that
but with the way this girl tugs her collar and murmurs how her suite’s too tidy
i think it’s a right shame that i don’t have the nerve to ask for her name
and i think she knows i wonder, too; she gives a juice box to me for the night

(later, i think: she looks like butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth. she looks like she’d be real good at cussing. not that i’d know anything about that.)

she gives me a cola out on the upper deck
(i think she tips back a glass of gin. i think the light that shines off her helix piercing looks real nice.)
and i think she tells me my baby fat cheeks make me look young. i think i tell her that i’m way older than she thinks.
she smiles. i think she likes the way i’m that shiny faced, bushy tailed immature, but it’s hard to tell with her

i think i like the way she holds my wrist too tight. i think i like the names tattooed across her knuckles.
(i think she looks real nice like this: disco colors bouncing off her cheeks, hair wild in a half-done bun.)
she writes some jargon i’m too much of a teen to understand across my palm. i think i like the way the expo sharpie makes me cry.

i think she likes it, but it’s hard to tell with her: she calls it a souvenir. she kisses my forehead goodbye. she walks onto the dance floor. i think there’s sweat drying on the back of my neck.

-i was going for a “coming of age” vibe with this one but somehow mixed in “cruise summer fling” and you’re gonna pretend you don’t see it. was it a dream? did i dream this up?
-you know those coming of age stories where the protag meets a slightly older teen that’s kinda grungy and bad news and jaded, but they’re fun and they know way more than the protag and they’ll have a good time anyways? yeah. this is the epitome of all my yearning for someone to be like that guiding figure for me
-i really tried to play around with the contrast of youth v maturity. i think it came out all teenage turmoil angsty but! again! coming of age. *smashes bottle onto floor*

• June 17, 2020 - 10:24am (Now Viewing)

• mia_:)

WHOAAA I love how nostalgic this is and the coming-of-age and the characterization! Your main character is so well developed! "and i think she tells me my baby fat cheeks make me look young. i think i tell her that i’m way older than she thinks." I love how you keep saying "i think" because it feels more like a memory or a kind of detached moment and I love how eager your character is to prove herself! LOVE THIS SO MUCH! *chef kiss*

• mia_:)

Replying: I'm so glad you like it! I think that some of the parallels were accidental, but I am so honored that you think so highly of me! *blushes* I like really idolize you and you inspire me so much! I LOVE YA!!! Your comment made me so happy! <3

• mia_:)

Here's the piece!
    It's rough, but I'm proud of it!

Replying: Thank you! After I posted it, I actually suspected you'd get it. And you're welcome lol. If I remember correctly (I probably don't), you're 5'2? That makes me 2 inches taller than you, but you're probably strong enough to pick me up lol (it doesn't exactly take much XD).

replying: thank you sunny! <3
    and aww with the bombshell thing lmao. *winks*
    and i'm glad i got to know you too!

• loquacious_lil

I love this!

"i think she’s real pretty. i don’t remember her face, but sometimes—you just know."
    Yeah, exactly! There are some people who you get the gist of, and you know they're pretty, but you won't remember their features. You described it perfectly!

replying: hahah, I agree flappers will forever be ICONIC

• inanutshell

i love all the different ways you've described her! (ngl she seems like exactly my type of girl.....) but also yes this very much comes across as a coming of age tale, the whole 'i think' contrasted with the girl's confidence just SCREAMS yearning and i love it :)

• mia_:)

<3<3<3

• mia_:)

This piece looks stunning! I can't wait to come back and read it more in depth!
    Replying: Oh my gosh! Of COURSE you didn't cross a line! it's so sweet of you to check on me! Honestly, I'm a bit worn out and am still chipping through a block with like a toothpick, so my writing isn't as bright lately. And i'm kinda sick of the pandemic stuff and our world is kind of a mess right now. I'm fine, though, and I REALLY appreciate you checking in!!!! ilysm!!! <3<3 *finger dances*

• rosemarywisdom

This is so beautiful! I especially like the line "i think she looks real nice like this: disco colors bouncing off her cheeks, hair wild in a half-done bun." You're so talented and you conveyed this genre perfectly. One of my favorite pieces ever.

• PouringOutTheSun

oh this is so pretty

• Jasmine_K

i'm obsessed with this oh my gosh? "i think she looks real nice like this:" is so UGH

• elliem

Reply: thank you so much again. You are the sweetest and you seem so cool. :) <3

• elliem

replying: thank you so much for your comment, dude! You inspire me so much because you are so unafraid to protect the things you believe in, so it was really cool seeing your comment on my piece. Thanks again! :)

• naomi ling

replying: i j wanted to say thank you so so much for your kind words and tips just now; i'm so glad i stumbled upon this community today! means so much <33

Replying: thank youuu
    also for the jazz club thing: we have to write about like a specific one in the 1920s, so do you know any cool ones? (I was thinking the cotton club or something in New Orleans)

replying- i did warn you, you one percented little fuffling bumblebee riding a fizzling frog
    also- thats so nice of you sunny! i'm glad you liked the poem, i was going for a folk-vibe, so happy to hear it

how. do. you. write like this sunny! It's so gorgeous!! I interpreted this as a really beautiful friendship, that could have blossomed, but did not, and its so so pretty. goes to show someone may not be as alone as they think they are <3.
    also- replying- you did not dare. do you know what you have just unleashed?? i'll be one percenting everything now. watch out, hun ; )

whhHHHOOOAAA. this is good. i can see the way you brought your vision in the footnotes to life like wow. the characterization in this is absolutely brilliant like what?? i can see a girl leaning far off the sides of a boat, popping bubblegum and smoking at the same time (is that possible???), licking cherry lipgloss off her lips and hiding her amber eyes behind sunglasses. wowwwww and the narrator is so well written whAT? we stan a talented kween cuz this is absolutely amazing and makes me wanna write prose again. such versatility what?????? this is so good??? the characterization???? i'm using too make question marks?????? mwah you're amazing and i need some sunglasses cuz you're too bright for my eyes.

I LOVE HOW GAY THIS IS
    kinda reminds me of those indie teen movies where a teen discovers they're gay through these mysterious, vv. edgy characters and then proceeds to have a full-fledged montage of the two of 'em making memories, ya know?