inanutshell

she/her/illiterate

a repost & re-edit since the old one was taken down

the girl with the whole world in her eyes

11

She sits across from me, unaware of the outside world except for the one she holds in her hands.

Her ears perk up just as the train conductor's voice rings out over the PA system, announcing the next stop. But she never looks up, never shows any sign of getting up. Listening to the announcement, her eyes stay fixed on the page, always keeping one foot in the doorway of her little world. Her eyes become pools of joy, tears brimming to the surface as she fights the burgeoning smile on her face. It's clear that not much else matters right now, as she takes the plunge, and the world envelops her entirely.

She moves ever so slightly each time she turns the page. Anyone watching could see she's accustomed to the act, like a magnetic force pulling her in, with each page enticing her more and more. She knits her expression back into a cool, collected state, with only her fingers tapping rapidly on the cover betraying any sign of her pulsating joy. Gripping the book protectively, she's happy to let the story command her - she's just in it for the ride. 

Her world ends with a slam of her book, as she looks up and faces the outside world for the first time since she sat down.  A ghost of a smile lingers on her face, her distant eyes focused far away. I recognise the enchantment she's under - entranced by another world, reluctant to return to this restricting one. She gazes out the window and looks for microscopic signs of her world in ours, eager to let her imagination run wild along the streets. 

She stands up across from me, the train pulling to a halt, and looks into my eyes for the first time. And I see her whole world through her eyes - flashes of love, magic, and happiness, flowing through different streams in her eyes. And I feel the hope that keeps them alive shining through everything. As she walks off the train and onto the platform, she leaves me with this parting gift, to forever remember the girl with the whole world in her eyes.

1

• Chloe :) <3

Replying: Contest Results are Out! https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/178685/version/356929

oh my god this reminds me of like the end of a Bollywood movie, but literally in the BEST Way possible. like it's so magical, and something about the words you've used to weave this is so ethereal and hopeful.

“ As she walks off the train and onto the platform, she leaves me with this parting gift, to forever remember the girl with the whole world in her eyes.” this was literally so magical and adorable i can’t? like your description is just so smooth and easy on the eyes, wow wow wow.

• Wicked!

This is so beautifully written ahdjzneb

Um um um this is so beautiful I can't even do the coherent thing ACK "the girl with the whole world in her eyes" sounds like magic and woah.