pineapples

Pineapples
I love reading and writing (obviously)
he/they, they/them preferred

"have I killed my thoughts right before their prime?
have I bit my tongue one too many times?
have I said it all the way I really meant to?"
~ben platt

just thought i'd republish for the sake of pride month (because it's ending and all,,)

I don't have an agenda. | #proud

22
"I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You are not scared. You are an asshole." -Morgan Freeman. 

"I do not support the homosexual agenda."
This agenda you speak of is my life. I am forcing absolutely nothing on you. 

"The Pride parade is unnecessary, and gay people already have rights."
You were never killed for loving. Governments are still peeling at the rights which we fought so hard toward. We are not even close to justice. 

"Gay people are flamboyant and extra."
Nobody said flamboyance was extra except you. I do not owe you seriousness, or professionalism. And I do not have to fit into your stereotype. 

"Trans people make me uncomfortable." 
I owe you nothing. I do not owe you comfort. I will not live lies so that you can be comfortable. 

"It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve."
One thing being true does not make another untrue. And I do not have to conform to your religious beliefs.  

"We're going to fix this. You're going to be okay."
is not an appropriate response to a child or adult making themselves vulnerable and telling you a part of themselves that is still considered controversial to this day. 

"Oh, so do you like me?"
is also an inappropriate response to somebody coming out. Because I like one gender does not mean I like everyone of that gender. 

"That's so gay."
Gay 
is not an insult. It is an identity. It is a sexual orientation. Being gay should not have negative connotations. Being gay is normal.

"Homophobia's gone. You have marriage equality. Go home." 
Tell that to the LGBTQ+ people who have been harassed or even killed in the past few years. Tell that to the young kids in school who face homophobia and ignorant bullying and discrimination every day in their lives just because they might be different. We are a long way from equality. Do not tell us otherwise. 

"Lesbians are hot. Gay guys are disgusting, though."
Our love should not be the object of your sexual fantasy. You cannot say that lesbians are not fetishized  and say that 'lesbians are so hot.' And at the same time, our love should not be disgusting. Two people in love should not disgust you. 

"I get that you're gay. Just don't shove it in my face."
If we are silent, we are forgotten, and the law will be against us. When we raise our voices, you tell us that we are too loud

"You're going to hell."
I will see you there.
Even if I were to be of the same religion of you (and I do not have to be) do you think God, or whoever you worship, would create something that automatically gives one a ticket to hell? God, or whoever you worship, would give me a chance. Unlike you. I am not going to hell for being gay. Or trans. Or queer. Or LGBTQ+. 

"
Gay parents will turn their children gay." 
My parents were not gay. am not straight. Children have their own brains. Children are not their parents. 

"
You're too young to know you're gay."
Why should one be too young to know they're gay, but it is assumed that children are straight. Sexual orientation is not mystery. You are not straight until proven otherwise. Straight should not be the norm. 

"
You're name change/pronouns are too confusing."
If you do not even give any effort to make me comfortable, then you do not deserve my friendship. If you don't care about me enough that you don't respect my pronouns/name, then I will not care enough about you to call you my friend. 

"I have a gay friend, it's okay."
Having one LGBTQ+ friend does not excuse you from homophobia. 

"
They is plural, not singular."
Grammatically, it is not. And if you care more about grammar than human rights, you need to check your priorities.

"Will you be my gay best friend?"
No. 

I don't have an agenda. 
I am not my stereotype.
I am not a threat to your children. 
My marriage should not be a debate.
It is not political to support LGBTQ+ people. 
My rights and my protections should not be a debate.
And you cannot control my sex life or my romantic life. 
My gender or sexual orientation is not political debate. 
Nothing you do  will change my gender or my sexual or romantic orientation. 
My validity as a human being should not depend on what the law says about it. 
Your refusal to serve me or sell to me hurts, but ultimately, whose business does it hurt?
You do not need a parade. need a parade. 
You were never killed for loving. 
You cannot erase my history. 
I am not controversial. 
I don't have an agenda. 
I am a life. 

My community is not just gay guys. 
We are so much more than that. 
Lesbian.
Gay.
Bisexual.
Transgender.
Queer. 
Questioning.
Intersex.
Asexual.
Pansexual.
And so much more. 

Why must you hate so much something that barely impacts you?
Why do you waste your time interrupting our parades with hate? 
Why do you insist on turning the narrative toward you with you "straight pride parade?" 
What would it cost you to leave us alone?
For those of you who aren't aware, in the United States, President Trump is taking away LGBTQ+ protections that were put in place by the Obama administration. 
...During Pride month. 
...On the fourth year anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shooting. 

• JadeAndSerpentine

Thank you for writing this in such a powerful and concise manner. It really needed to be said, and you definitely did it in the most eloquent way.

Despite all the horrible things that are happening, happy pride to everyone!

• WinterBerry

Ok, I absolutely love the way that this is said. It is straightforward and gets the point across. I do not follow the news or keep up to date with political based things, but once I read that Trump was taking away rights from the LGBTQ+ community, ON PRIDE MONTH, and on the 4th year anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shooting, I actually cried. I do not understand why people cannot let us live like humans, and do this to us. I just do not understand. Thank you for posting this.

• BizzleWrites

*Insert clapping in aw*

• Sadiez

This Is a brilliant piece. I love that you addressed so many of the horrific and offensive comments we face as a community. It’s a really great piece!

Trump is a vial person who has no empathy or compassion. Him removing the legislation that protects trans people’s access to medical care is truly nothing but evil and I cannot describe how angry this makes me and the timing in which he is doing this is just unbelievably cruel. You may already know but there is a petition on change.org to stop this from happening. If you want to sign it then just go on to change.org and search, “Stop Congress from Reversing the Transgender Protection Laws” and you should find it pretty easily.

• crow_e

thank you for sharing this! I saw that in the news and immediately the “i’m in danger” meme flashed through my head

Also, happy pride!

Yeah, it's sad and super HORRIBLE that Trump is taking that away. That is not fair. Thank you for pointing this out!
    ( We should vote him out, he was never a good president anyways.)

• mia_:)

Wow! This is so powerful and important, especially now! I loved how level-headed and to the point your commentary was. Thank you for writing these responses so we can use them in conversations! someone needed to write this and you did it so eloquently! Thank you! Happy pride!

• Writers of the World

The second quote you mentioned made my jaw drop, never heard anyone say that and it's absolutely outrageous & your commentary was everything. Omg, go you!

• Pravartika Wankhede

power and pride. to you. <3

• asta

his presidency's coming to an end, so hopefully you'll be rid of him soon enough! good luck!

• delete

Trump seriously needs to be gotten rid off! I hope he’s not president for another term! Thank you so much for posting this, I agree with every single point. Even though I’m a bisexual woman that’s never faced much homophobia, I’ve had people say some of these points in front of me like when talking about TV soap operas with gay couples and saying they don’t like gay being shoved in their face. Then, older people saying explicitly to me ‘oh gays used to get locked up you know’ as if I’m doing something wrong.

• inanutshell

you really hit the nail on the head here. also, didn't know trump was doing that. :/ there's really an endless amount of reasons to hate him, especially with the sh*t he's pulling w Juneteenth as well

• jun lei

thank you for writing. much love.

• EliathRose

This is beautiful. I just saw the stuff about Trump revoking rights, and I just... wow. Thank you so much for writing this powerful piece.

• lindsmariebuck

Wow! This is well said.

• pineapples

thank you for all of the kind comments! Y'all are Fabulous :)
    Happy Pride!

• poetri

Obama needs to come back, this babysitter's weird... (saw this on a few posters for pride, blm, and other things. Thought it'd be applicable here :)
    I LOVE THIS, by the way. For one human to try and tell another human they aren't valid or they're wrong/scary/weird because of who they love is such idiocy. Literally its 2020 and we've seen so many horrible things as a society. Love and sexuality has never been one of them. Happy pride, thanks for coming to my ted talk :)

wonderful piece. you say everything so clearly. i saw what trump’s administration did, and i was shaking with rage. as a fellow LGBT sibling...i can only hope we’ll get through this together.

• BizzleWrites

I am so grateful for this post. You just got a new follower!