Zhaoen Xu

Sugar-coated Haws, The Taste Of My Childhood Happiness

I have loved sugar-coated haws since childhood, sweet and sour. With a bite, the crisp crackle sounded, the light yellow rock sugar cracked together with the hawthorn, the sweet taste of crystal sugar came from the tip of the tongue, and it was accompanied by the delicious sour taste of hawthorn. This taste is really unforgettable for life.

Sugar-coated haws originated in the Song Dynasty of China. During the Song Dynasty, the emperor's favorite concubines fell ill. People have tried various methods, but they are useless. Seeing that his favorite concubine was more and more haggard, the emperor was in a hurry, so he could only seek medical advice. A doctor came to the palace and after diagnosis the pulse of the concubine, said: "Just boil with rock sugar and hawthorn, eat five to ten pieces before each meal, and it will be fine without half a month of illness." People followed suit. Soon after, the concubine's illness was cured. The practice of sugar-coated haws has spread to the people.

The practice of sugar-coated haws is not complicated. Pick the hawthorn or other fruits first and string them with bamboo sticks. Then pour the sugar and water into the pot according to the ratio of 2:1, cook until the syrup can pull out the wire slightly, turn off the fire. Dip the syrup evenly on the hawthorn or fruit and cool it.

In fact, hawthorn has many effects, such as dilating blood vessels and lowering blood pressure. And its most important function is to help digestion, which is beneficial to the stomach. It may be because of its efficacy that it will be used by that doctor of the Song Dynasty. Moreover, the sugar-coated haws made with hawthorn is also the most authentic.

When I was a kid, I didn't know much about sugar-coated haws, I just thought it was delicious. Whenever I saw sugar-coated haws on the street or on the side of the road, I would get my mom and dad to buy me a bunch. Sugar-coated haws are generally made of hawthorn. String the round haws together to symbolize happiness and reunion. Take a closer look at the sugar-coated haws. Several hawthorns are skewered on a thin bamboo stick. Through the light yellow transparent rock sugar, you will find that the color of the hawthorn is very bright and beautiful, and the gorgeous red color shows the passion of the hawthorn. The dense white spots make the hawthorn look more delicate. Just looking at the appearance of the sugar-coated haws, you will feel that it is as beautiful as a piece of art.

I don't know if it's because of the sweetness of sugar-coated haws. Every time I eat sugar-coated haws, I will have a feeling of happiness. Sweet, light yellow, thin and crunchy rock sugar accompanied by sour, beautiful red hawthorn, from my mouth, has been sweet to my heart. The family was with me, laughing and talking. The laughter seemed to make the sugar-coated haws a bit sweeter again. I don’t know, is it because of the sweetness of the sugar-coated haws, which makes the atmosphere between the family a lot sweeter? Or was it because the family got together to sweeten the sugar-coated haws? In fact, this problem has always been a mystery to me. From my childhood, I have been entangled with me until now. However, I willingly let it entangle me all the time, and never want to solve it, because this problem is extremely sweet and extremely happy.

Sugar-coated haws, sweet and sour, this is the taste of happiness in my childhood. The unique deliciousness of the sugar-coated haws and the scene when my family accompanied me were deeply imprinted in my heart, and I could not erase it in my life.

are you talking about tanghulu? i'm going to be completely honest, i've never actually had them before :/. i usually eat haw jelly, but this makes me want to try sugar-coated haws!