sunny.v

she/her | asian
wtw community’s official older sister
running off into the sunset with circe
est. april 27, 2020

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
satire sorceress, lady knight

she clasps peonies, allure, & love

i always make it a point to wear a cute outfit when i go to an academic competition (that doesn’t have a dress code) bc i like the satisfaction of feeling pretentious, arrogant jerks lose to a girl in a baby blue floral-patterned romper

EDIT: i really tried to convey the fact that everyone should dress how they’d like and be held in equal respect! i’m not shaming anyone for dressing modestly, please don’t misunderstand! if you dislike wearing more showy clothes, i’m not attacking you!! <3

little girl, your lace is a weapon

49

why does your admiration for me drop with each inch that my neckline plunges?

femininity is a fierce thing, but surely, you’ve spit venom at more formidable women than i
does the fluorescent glint of the light off my bare shoulders blind you so?
does the fabric of my velvet mini-skirt threaten to choke, and do the loose frills of my rose-colored cardigan murmur threats of tangling your neck in a noose?

does skin scare you, sir? and if it does, why dare to whisper to the enemy?
when treading the den of a snake, you fear her poison—do you tell her this, too?

modesty is a weapon held delicately, and to each fighter their own
but like all daggers, it is an interchangeable tool of an arsenal,
and burning pride and bare thighs and blouses that end just below the breasts fare just as well in a fight

sticks and stones may break your bones, but the wardrobe of a woman will pull your breath from your lungs;
so remember this, should you dare to say again: “little girl, cover up.”
-*switches on megaphone* why do you keep shaming teenage girls for what they wear and acting like it at all represents their intellectual capability!!! some of the most brilliant women i’ve met can wear a crop top and booty shorts and have a singular brain cell that functions better than you!
-ahem. wear whatever you’d like! modest outfits or ones that show more skin, it shouldn’t affect the respect that you’re due. also some dress codes suck and are often directed at girls and to that i say eat my pink dust

• Karma's_Coming

Heyo! Thanks for responding so quickly! Anywho, I know that you’ve gotten a lot of attention of this piece but I wanted to do a review regardless. (By the way, the questions are reiterated from the original reviews so)

What about this piece surprised, delighted, or moved you?

I loved the topic and general and loved the way you included so many metaphors and similes. You made a “typical topic” (I don’t really know what else to call it?) sound sort of whimsical and otherworldly with the style that you used.

What about this piece would you change/add/delve a little deeper into?

I honestly don’t believe I would add or change anything about this piece. (Although, I wouldn’t mind if it was elongated)

Favorite line(s):

“and if it does, why dare to whisper to the enemy?”

I’m not sure why, and I don’t know how exactly to describe it, but this line kind of...gave me goosebumps? I felt like it held so much weight and had so many different layers.

replying: okay, thank youu!

replying: aah, you're too kindd. actually, i have been considering sending some of my work to this online journal/lit mag, but keep postponing it. also, they ask for your graduation year, so in the US that means when you graduate from high school, right? i was a tad unsure.

• Wicked!

This is so brilliantly written! I adore the second stanza ansnbtb

• journal.screams (#Queenie's Halloween)

Replying: I didn't realize it was in the must-reads until you mentioned it so thank you so much for the comment! My intention was to imply that something was in the path ahead of her and that she was about to crash. I know that I asked in the message to readers whether it was too ambiguous, but seeing your different interpretation of it (which was probably much cooler btw) convinced me to leave it the way it was. Sorry that ended up being so long.
    ps. *gasps* "while they’re no match for a kid on the cymbals"??? How dare you?! Have you heard a clarinet in the upper register? Just kidding, percussionists have an insane sense of rhythm that I wish I had. At least we're both not orchestra kids *hair-flips snobbishly*

• N.

louder for the people in the back! your metaphors and similes work so well with your message, and it gives this piece a powerful punch. you are a whole queen, and i couldn't agree more with what you have to say

• aditi

Thank you for writing this, so appreciated. I agree; some of my best friends and the smartest girls in the school are the ones who dress with a crop short and totally ripped jean shorts. I wholeheartedly agree.

• lindsmariebuck

OMG!!!! I love this. I don't think anyone has said it better.

• inanutshell

wow the first line already packs a punch. i personally am more modest with the clothes i wear but i still agree! also 'sticks and stones may break your bones, but the wardrobe of a woman will pull your breath from your lungs' ok wow this is absolutely amazing!!

• ava09

I love love love love LOVE LOVE this soooooo sooo much and I completely agree and it's just beautiful and powerful and I love it! <3

• joella

yessss girl you tell 'em! the message at the core of this piece comes across beautifully through your writing.
    "modesty is a weapon held delicately, and to each fighter their own." exactly. preach!

replying: thank you sunny!!
    American humour is basically making a normal situation absurd and British humour is making the strangest of situations seem normal. also British humour is like partly saying whatever the hell they feel like but also as politely as possible lol.
    does that make sense?

• Halopoet

I meant i loved it. Hehe

• Halopoet

Ooooof i swear this is the savagest thing(if thats a word) that i have read on wtw. Welldone, such an important message implied in such a cool way. I loed it

• purplepanache

wow, this is stunning. you've made your point so well my dude, i love how effective your writing is!

in my country, women are blamed for inviting sexual harassment by dressing up 'inappropriately' . in fact, one of our political leaders was quoted as saying 'boys will be boys' in reference to a rape case. this kind of toxicity should stop, it's disgusting.

• asta

sunny,,,,,the power you hold

• jun lei

yes my queen!! absolutely!! men shaming women for wearing revealing clothing or having sex is a thing, but i'm sorry, not your body, doug, so suck it.

*vigorously shakes head in agreement*
    Yes! And you know what I hate about people (read:Indian aunties) is that they honestly use the clothes us girls wear to slutshame them, not to mention constantly victim- blame them and make them feel worthless. I've personally had teachers telling us to dress properly, so nothing happens to us, which, to me is a terrible "but what were you wearing" kind of mindset.
    Sorry for how long this is but just had to get it out there. :)

Replying: Haha SAME.

Replying: Yeah, you're cool! I know you're not a mean person or anything, but I was still paranoid that you'd be mad XD. We're good.

Oh good, you republished it! It really is a good piece. The disclaimer is a nice touch.

I genuinely appreciate you putting your opinion out there. And you did it very effectively.

...but, I have to say something. I really hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, please don't think I'm judging or condemning you! It's just, as a modest dresser myself, I felt kind of attacked/shamed by this... Like just because I have an opinion on clothing (I don't dislike people with different opinions btw), I am somehow automatically bigoted or something?

I know you're not trying to hurt anyone, and I'm probably being too sensitive...idk.

• DesyAnn

This is absolutely amazing. I love the verses "does skin scare you sir?" "does the fluorescent glint of the light off my bare shoulders blind you so?". These verses and a few others are just the cherry on top.

• queenie hawthorne is garfield

wonderful.

• mia_:)

YES! This is so powerful and important! I love "are you scared of skin, sir?" and "modesty is a weapon held delicately, and to each fighter their own
    but like all daggers, it is an interchangeable tool of an arsenal, and burning pride and bare thighs and blouses that end just below the breasts fare just as well in a fight." Your opening line was stunning too! This is a message that everyone needs to hear!

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

This is an incredible price! You did a wonderful job bringing light to this issue in a way that's so poetic and descriptive; the entire last paragraph really hit hard. '
    Awesome job! :)

• LilaP

Astounding. I absolutely adore it!!!

Fierce and absolutely true. How should I express how brilliant this piece is? Wow, the first line really punched hard, delivering the theme in one fell swoop. I remember you’d saying that you frequently “weaponize” phrases and that’s what this piece kinda is. It cuts deep and true, no room for “disclaimers” or fear of being “offensive”. People need to read this.

• loquacious_lil

This is so true! Also, your thing about wearing a cute outfit to an academic competition is such a power move.

• ~wildflower~

So true. Thanks for having the courage and honesty to write this! Btw I love the second last line <3