avoiding the big bang

writes abt: books, cats, and self-deprecation
anti -isms and -phobias

i like the more alternative side to pop, because the radio can't make me sick of it - there are only mainstream stations where i live.

My Favorite Desperation Songs of the Moment

12
I create seasonal playlists and my spring/summer quarantine one is coming along nicely, with about 95% of the songs featuring raw desperation in some shape or form.  While not all of these are downright emo they collectively make a great vent for some quarantine-inspired angst.

"This Is Why We Fight" by The Decemberists
The Decemberists spend a little too much of their time trying to be meaningful, and listening to them exclusively can get quite tiring, but let us not forget the pure joy that can be caused by Colin Meloy screaming "Come hell!" at every pre-chorus.

"We Belong Together" by Vampire Weekend
The ultimate alpha couple song.  Recalling all that I know about Brit Lit (which, to be fair, is not very much) I was frustrated upon hearing the lyric "We go together like Keats and Yeats."  Not only do the two names not rhyme like they should, Keats and Yeats had very little to do with one another historically; choose Wordsworth and Coleridge if you want a dynamic duo (nevermind the vomity extra syllables).

"Run Dry (X Heart X Fingers)" by Patrick Stump
Your average banger about alcohol and "making mistakes."

"I Think You're Great" by Alex the Astronaut
I love her music because it's so earnest!  A little song about the various mental illnesses that affect romantic relationships and yet the singsong-y admiration that accompanies this.

"Defenceless" by Louis Tomlinson
1. A technicality: the main chorus is "Never been so defenceless / But you just keep on building up your fences" which implies that "defenceless" means "without fences."  Once this thought enters your brain, you cannot un-think it.
2. An intense song about vulnerability?  Please.  This song smashes with joyous poppy melody.  We listen to it to dance to it.

"Perfect Places" by Lorde
More of Lorde singing about how hard being nineteen is.  The harmonies in the chorus are perfect, brings tears to my eyes every time, although I'm not sure if I'm crying because of the perfect harmonies or because the rest of the album is so much worse than this song.

"Creature Comfort" by Arcade Fire
Can I get a "what-what" for information overload and societal ills!  Seriously don't listen to this song; even the angstiest of the angsty shall not be able to handle it.

"Pressure" by Muse
While this song is heavily disguised by "put-your-hands-in-the-air" "run-around-the-stage-and-bellow-into-the-microphone" levels of banger, have no fear - the lyrics are still about the insane stressed caused by unmatched levels of pressure, so you  can let out a few tears while dancing wildly around your bedroom.

"Destroya" by My Chemical Romance
Of course we'd finish off with MCR; what else?  This song is just as juicy with pent-up rage as its title might suggest.  What would we do without you, Gerard Way?

• June 16, 2020 - 11:45am (Now Viewing)

• Dmoral

i'll keep your opinions in mind lol, but once i more into the book (i literally just started) we should definitely have a mini-book talk lol, i'd love to hear more! i'll let u know when i've read more !!

ahh as we all have probably been, i’ve been desperately following anha’s highlights/the status of them in regards to these ridiculous guidelines, and i traced my way back here. if you don’t mind me asking as well: pssst, whats your prose?

reply: one word - yes.

and just saw your message to readers- (*whispers* what's your prose?)

• purplepanache

replying: i absolutely know right, i've been living a lie :/

reply: i'm sure you can acknowledge that for every rule, there will be ways to work around them. (there is a reason they're called "guidelines" on wtw.) there is no need to fear - i will do my best to ensure that monthly highlights will continue, even if the way it looks may change a little. i am equally or possible even more displeased with the change in these restrictive rules, especially since we signed up for was not such a dystopian system where we are judged solely on writing and taking no time to appreciate those who support our work. i will not be participating in the #giveusbackourwords movement, as i've been receiving an influx of what you could consider diplomatic threats from management, but know that i support it wholeheartedly.

Replying: yeah, might have to end up doing that. thanks for always being so eloquent and supportive btw. <3

• Dmoral

definitely going to have to try these songs out!! (thanks, i was looking for new music!)

june highlights are live!
    https://bit.ly/31QLd2l

replying: yeah," this year" is amazing. and no, i've def not had enough! i like their sound- it's kinda emo, kinda 90's, angsty, head banger-types, but also so pessimistic? thanks for the recs :)

replying: aw yusss. vampire weekend ftw! thanks for your help!
    actually, rainandsonder is the one that introduced me to the mountain goats (honestly, i'm so glad i put indie rock enthusiast in my bio, bc since then i've got such amazing recs from wtwers!) but so far, i've only been listening to "no children" and "this year", of course. and that's between me listening to the wallows 24/7.

• purplepanache

replying:
    can i begin by telling you that your comment on my piece suffices as a work of art by itself, and while i am *clutches chest* EXTREMELY flattered that someone like you took out the time to read my little rant and make such intelligent observations about it, i am also completely in awe with the way you've worded your comment so precisely, effectively and artistically. it is arguably the best comment i have ever received on anything i wrote, from anyone- the whole squinting at a painting analogy is just brilliant, and while i dont know whether my smol piece deserves that sort of attention, i am sure that if i had seen an observation like that made about someone else's work i would have drowned myself in it.

you can say that while writing the piece, i was a little vulnerable and unsure about my state of mind. i was terrified of triggering a trauma induced reaction in somebody else and i'd rather have the piece taken down than hurt another person. i think including a tw had to do with me being rather unsure about how my piece would be received by a reader, it was just a precaution i took.

meanwhile, i have carefully screenshotted your comment away to relish in case my piece gets taken down.

• avoiding the big bang

@sunny.v thx haha! really appreciate it.

this is a bit odd, but i feel that whenever i comment my opinion on a more discourse-y piece, i see your comment as well, and it’s very well worded and usually aligns with what i tried to say, but much better. i suppose this is just me appreciating/commending you for being so well articulated? and also me finding slight contentness in knowing that there’s someone else who agrees with me. anyways—yeah. kudos, i suppose!

• Doodleninja

this is awesome! I'm a huge music fanatic, so I'll take a listen to some of these songs. Honestly, what WOULD we do without My Chemical Romance. XD

• asta

"The Decemberists spend a little too much of their time trying to be meaningful"--djdsjhd ain't that the truth