Jasmine_K

she/her. 16, i write poetry
est. sometime in 2017
currently waiting for wtw's 3rd golden age

I wanted to try and write a series of vignettes so here's this. The last time I tried to write a vignette was in 8th grade and let me just say: it was garbage your honor. So hopefully this is a redemption? Feedback is welcome!

my piano teacher's halloween party

9
they light my candle-wax body on fire at the party and i do not wake up. 
.
“just five more minutes,” i whisper to the tray mini tacos at the buffet table. i shovel them in my mouth and pretend not to notice the already empty container beside it: my mothers dumplings, shoved greedy into the white woman’s mouth. they take them and squeeze, feigning surprise when the juice squirts out. she has leek between her teeth and i am obsessed with this glorious image. 
.
someone passes me a cup of cranberry juice. i pour it over my giambattista valli dress. i will try to hide the stain from my mom when i get home. my skin is hot. i try to notice things. the white woman has pinned her bun up with chopsticks. just kidding. there are no white woman here, and i have decided to stop noticing. 
.
i catch my reflection in the mirror down the hall, pull out a few curls from my braid because i look lonely. at ten pm i have decided i will slap my left hand into the punch bowl and ruin the tablecloths because i am thirsty for something other than small talk. 
.
sometimes when they are at home i pretend i am not peeking with binoculars into their houses from the wrong side of the road. they tell me to speak english and i feed them more dumplings to shut them up. 
.
the white woman has gotten wasted and is playing something on the piano. i catch my mom’s eye across the room. “a mess.” and i offer her more mini tacos. tonight i help her take off her mascara. tonight she has forgotten about me, it is too late. these days i hold my breath. the pinyin in the air is toxic. 
.
i have swallowed the sun and now i am glowing, the sunlight backlighting my frizzy hair into a halo.

ok i shouldn’t be lame or anything and i’m totally gonna sound like a loser going nuts over your comment on my piece but i’m a loser that’s going nuts over your comment on my piece lol i adore the absolute heck out of your writing and your style so it’s como se dice awesome. super splendid. fantastic. to see your comment in my notif inbox...ha. thank you <3

• purplepanache

there is something so 'un-quenched' about this piece- something so bloodthirsty and passionate. you have barely delved into emotion or anything sticky like that and yet, with your detailed descriptions, you've conveyed the feelings you wanted to so precisely. very refined work, i love it.

• joella

you've more than redeemed yourself! your use of abrupt sentence endings and descriptors sprinkled throughout really add to the eerie, mysterious feel of this piece. amazing work!

you’ve done a proper redemption, i’ll say! i enjoyed this vignette a lot! you write your details out so poignant and elegant. wow. super awesome work!