inanutshell

she/her/illiterate

read footnotes pls! :)

ok so this prompt came out (haha) a while ago but after i had written this piece I was a lil scared to post it. idk why. actually i do but i think nows a good time. been reading up on the lgbtq culture/ experiences in my country & how it has changed over the years. some stories really broke my heart but they gave me the courage to want to be heard.

all the colours of our flags

we hoist our flags up, bold stripes flying unapologetically high. against the stiff winds, we're relentless - the cold cuts us down and still we resist, marching on with our shoes planted firmly on the ground. they taunt us, yell at us to move, but we refuse. we're the movement, we chant. it's your move.

look out across the sea of colours and see waves of purple, pink, and baby blue lapping over the edges of our stripes, blending together to form the harmony we'd always dreamed of. here, any stark differences fade out into the background as we stand tall and unafraid, no longer content with existing - we want to live. taking centre stage, we keep marching on, our footfalls in sync all the way down the road that leads to our common destination.

through it all we wait, for ourselves and for each other. we're not defined by the colours we bleed or the colours we're still hesitant to wear. through it all, we're just here - one united community marching, always marching, to remind ourselves of what we fight for. with so much of history on the line, the freedom to unabashedly don these colours need our voices now more than ever. pink triangles be damned - we're here to take back our rightful place in the world.

how many times have we been here? standing in front of an institution founded on liberties, but fails to protect ours? we reach their gates and stand in silence, in solidarity, hand in hand as we wait in anticipation. the lights switch on and the house is bathed in all the colours of our flags, an illumination in the night. the colours splash across the white exterior; the canvas offering a long-overdue welcome. tonight we're alive, we're seen. we let these swathes of colours proudly wrap us in its embrace for the first time, and as we gaze at the lights in all its splendid glory, we hope and pray that it never lets us go.

i remember june 26, 2015. i was on the other side of the world, but seeing the white house light up in the rainbow flag colours was really something else. we're still pretty conservative over here. over the years, as i've started to question myself more and more, that sense of shame and doubt has only intensified. i'm pretty sure, but also what if i'm faking? imposter syndrome really a cause of conflict here. in a lot of ways i'm still where i was 5 years ago, confused and afraid, but seeing that image of the white house illuminated with rainbow colours ignited this hope in me i can't dull or put out. so, here's this.

"...to be accepted as ordinary requires an act of superhuman bravery."

• June 18, 2020 - 6:43am (Now Viewing)

• Mack Thompson

This is absolutely beautiful! I love it!

• Ardyon weisse

I tried finding words to describe how much I love this but I could not, which I suppose is indication enough. Thank you so much for this piece,congrats on getting featured, you totally deserve it, and happy pride :).

• WinterBerry

Oh my god, why didn't I read this sooner, this is so inspiring! I am so happy this got featured, you totally deserve it :)

• Pravartika Wankhede

replying: thankyou for your kind words. also-congratulations. know that our LGBTQ+ community is diverse, free and there hangs a NO JUDGEMENT HERE sign when you come in through the gates into queerness. We welcome you with open hearts. <3

• thisiswhoiam

Hey, you aren't faking it <3 We all go through the questioning, doubting stage regardless of who we end up as. You're just a teenager, this might not be your final form and that's okay. You're still welcome in the LGBTQIA+ community and there is no need for shame here, even if it turns out you don't fall into any of those categories. This is a lovely piece, I feel as though I'm there with you. I might write a review later for you.

• The Midnight One

Wow, beautiful, stirring piece, I can really relate to some of the lines. Only more enhanced with being written in this perspective, love it so much,

• ect.13

"we're the movement, we chant. it's your move."
    Well done for getting featured!! Great work - love this line (and all the rest of it too haha) <3

"how many times have we been here? standing in front of an institution founded on liberties, but fails to protect ours?" oh yes. oh YES. thank you for writing this <3.
    oooOOOOOOooo i'm disappointed that i didn't find this before it got featured. congrats!

I'M SO HAPPY THIS GOT FEATUREDDDDDD!

AAAAAAA DUDE YOU GOT FEATURED I’M SO PROUD YOU DESERVED IT SO MUCHHH

• spurtsofdarkness

Replying: Haha thanks :)

• joella

this is beautiful!! "how many times have we been here? standing in front of an institution founded on liberties, but fails to protect ours?" you tell 'em!

aw, much love to you. “ tonight we're alive, we’re seen” indeed. :)