crow_e

23 neurotic crows in a recycled flesh suit
he/him || 17 || intp-t || lgbtq+
prosaic poet & sci-fantasy fiction writer
community ambassador alum [summer 2020]

standing in solidarity with those angry

how to write yourself out of a corner

11

1. realise you’re in the corner—because realising you have a problem is the first step to fixing it. 
  2. touch the walls, the floor. check the dimensions. see how far you can stretch. 
  3. figure out what’s trapping you there. other words? people? your own fears? nothing at all? it’s okay to feel safer in the corner, but you can’t stay there forever. 
  4. test the boundary. yes, you’re going to write yourself out, but first you need to catalogue the space you have even more. stand up. walk around in your corner, if you can. see what happens if you try to get out
  5. breathe for a moment. whatever it was that’s trapping you in that corner probably just blocked you again. it’s okay to be afraid, just sit down and breathe for a moment. take as much time as you need. 
  6. find something to write with. hopefully, you have a pen with you - if not, that’s alright. you don’t have to write visible words to be able to write something. 
  7. tell yourself you can do this. because you can. you’re a writer, for god’s sake, you’ve done it before, you can do it again. you just need a little nudge. 
  8. scribble on the floor. whether it’s with a pen or a pencil or even the tip of your finger, just scribble something down in front of you. it doesn’t even have to be a word. just make your mark. start the chain reaction.  
  9. find a mantra, a phrase, something short and meaningful to you. write it down on the floor. 
  10. now do it again. and again. and again. write it until you’ve covered the floor in your words
  11. do the walls too. 
  12. if you want to write a new phrase, or a longer one, or something not even a phrase at all, go ahead. write whatever you want. just keep writing
  13. as you do this, you should find that your corner is getting bigger. whatever is in the way should be backing up, and you, using your words as a bridge, are gaining ground. 
  14. fill the room. fill the world. fill it all until the whole universe becomes yours. make it your own.
not sure where i was going with this but i like experimental form in prose

replying: thank you! i kinda vaguely had artemis fowl in mind and it probably showed lol. and yep, emperor’s new clothes! panic at the disco is for the gays and the gays only

• mia_:)

This is great! I honestly identified with it so much, being stuck in a block right now, and this was actually super helpful!