Dmoral

est. 2018
she/her | junior
semi active; chaotic life.
published writer + classics enthusiast.
obsessed with name titled poetry & songs.

i'm known for my long freakin' comments and highlight crazy reviews, but like seriously? life's been to crazy y'all, so bear with me, please.

___
p.s
if i call you "love" or "lovely" that's just how i talk, so don't freak out lol

Guide to Getting Out There, Avoiding Entitlement, & Your "Unalienable" Rights: Republished

26
New Intro:
My computer glitched and deleted my previous post & save, so I'm left with a previous save I had. Upon editing/adding, I realized I do not like the word "popularity" because it makes me come off snobbish. And even you didn't think that, I thought that about myself. So I changed it to "getting out there". My goal here on WTW is to be so kind it kills, because that means I supported you to the grave ;). Therefore, via my phone I reworded this and moved things around. I also got a comment about the "entitlement" aspect-I made changes & also, I am in no way entitled to talk about entitlement. I just did because I wanted to go over it. Also, it's okay if you disagree with me anywhere in this piece. I completely understand! Also, going camping so + my computer's broke, so no more computer.

Previous Intro:
Upon request from anonymous (actually, I know who they are but I won't tell you-sorry!) fellow writer here on WTW, has asked me to share with you a few tips on getting out there but also understanding aspects of entitlement. Now a quick disclaimer: I am in NO way telling you how to act or live nor am I presenting myself as the most popular person this site nor am I dissing anyone, that simply wouldn't be right. I'm just attempting to help you guys out by sharing my story along with advice about fully enjoying yourself and having support, and "getting out there on WTW".

First, let's start off with definitions so we're all on the same page.
Entitlement is, "believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment” (hercampus).
Privilege is, "having special rights, advantages, or immunities" (hercampus).

Now, Table Of Contents (aka if you only want to read 1 part, control f for this):
Part I: Guide to Getting Out There
Part II: Avoiding Entitlement
Part III: You "Unalienable" WTW Rights & Privileges
Footnotes: I Love You All, So Let's Return WTW to it's Former Glory

Part I: Guide to Getting Out There
So keep this in mind: "write the world may choose to advertise itself, it is, at its core, a social media platform. if you feel stressed or anxious about your reputation or your online friends, or if you're just going through some writer's block and it's freaking you out, take a break; go on a hiatus" (shout-outs, tips, how i think the community could improve). Being popular shouldn't be a goal. No, your goal should be writing & getting you voice heard--Getting out there. So here are a few things that I did:
  • Interaction: Like AND comment on other writer's pieces. A follow doesn't mean anything if you don't actually like their work. Just by liking it's like mentally giving that writer a *high five* because you think they deserve it. And honestly? Even if their work wasn't the best, you can still like it, to show that you've read it. Also, once you like, find a reason to comment. Now, I know you think "but I don't know what to comment" and yes, that may be true AT THE MOMENT, but here's some things to comment about:
    • Favorite lines (even by just copy & paste them into your comment and saying "favorite lines"  is supportive enough)
    • One thing they could improve (notice I said 1, because more than one is kind of a review thing-ya know? Also, when you do this, be respectful & nice, yet still honest, about it)
    • What stood out to you most (pointing this out also helps them know what to focus on or keep in mind, regardless of how small it is)
    • How you reacted (whether you write an action like, *claps* or tell them your immediate thoughts, things like that helps and shows support )
  • Follow: If you support a writer, follow them! Having the least amount of people you follow isn't cool or an accomplishment, it really isn't! I know I may seem like a hypocrite but I tend to think I already follow more people than I actually do. But if you've noticed lately, I'm starting to follow a lot more people! Also, there is a good amount of writers out there on WTW who do a "follow for a follow" system. For example, I especially adored .amelia. for this because in her bio she said, "I follow back because support goes both ways." Here are a few other lovelies that I know (or think) do a follow for a follow too:
  • Try New Writers: You don't have to follow the writer with the "most follows", just because everyone else does. Best said by the_enclave "please do not pass over these new people. i don't ask that you look at every piece that gets posted. just... go out your comfort zone a bit. read pieces from people you've never read before" (things are looking down. please help this community look up.). Sadly, I did fall victim to the, gosh, here comes another wave of newbies. But after giving them a chance, I learned to love them! So here are a few people that came in a new wave that don't have a lot of followers (less than 100) that I dare you to give a try:
  • Write, Post, & Republish: If you wrote an amazing piece and posted it two days ago and it didn't get enough attention--republish it! Now, best quoted by the_enclave again, "spamming pieces will get you banned. spamming the same comment on pieces will get you banned OR make you enemies" (stop spamming the write the world feed please.) And here is r|A|i|N's comment, living proof it's a bad idea, "don't spam the wtw feed, particularly on issues that the admins are touchy about. i had my old account removed because of that" (an overall message to the write the world community (shout-outs, tips, how i think the community could improve). Therefore, I suggest republishing at most, twice a day-and spread it out because writers are on at different times, meaning if you republish the same thing 3 times in 1 hour, you're most likely just annoying the same currently group of active writers. Therefore, if you wait, let's say, 5 hours, the probability of new people being on is extremely high. So once again, space it out! Also, if your piece has 25+ likes, I'd republish it at most like once a day or less, like spreading it out weekly. Only because it gives other writers a chance to be at the top and get their new pieces out.
    • Republishing a Piece but not Losing the Comments & Likes
                                                1. Go to 'manage versions'
                                                2. Click 'unpublish this version'
                                                3. Go back to 'options'
                                                4. Hit "publish this version for peer review"
                                                5. Go to "publish"

Part II: Avoiding Entitlement
Okay, so know this, "wtw users do not owe you anything. they do not have to participate in your contests, they do not have to read your stuff, and they do not have to comment. all of that is out of kindness" (a thing that frustrates me (and one that frustrates others). writer ad/vice). So below I'm going to list, respectfully, a few things you guys may forget or need reminding or should keep in mind:
  • I think FOMO (fear of missing out) is also a problem here. Beloved writer, jun lei, has done a couple of challenges focusing on shouting out & appreciating writers. And I understand if some feel discouraged when not seeing themself on the list. But you must understand a few somethings:
    • Often times the people forget to give you a shout out. Like me, I forgot sweet little Samina and lovely Christy Wisdom, along with other writers, and I feel absolutely horrid about it.
    • Someone is already being nice enough to give shout outs to people, why ruin it?
    • Thousands of people in history have been underrated or received a lack of congratulations--so you're not the only one. I know this sounds a tad sad or irritating, but the sad truth is: never everyone who deserves a shout out gets one. For example, check out these 10 Underrated People of History
    • Shout out or not, you're wonderful & appreciated!!
  • Plagiarism, Citations, and Other Fun Things You May Have Forgotten in English Class.
  • Following is a CHOICE! So never take your followers for granted. I suggest that if you hit milestones (like 50, 100, 150, etc) you publish a little thank you. It's the little stuff like this that shows people you appreciate them (& that also helps you gain a following). And know, you are not entitled to a single follower actually, because as I said, it's a choice.
Part III: You "Unalienable" WTW Rights
It is a privilege to be on WTW, one that admins can easily revoke. There, do not abuse this privilege by being racist, sexist, or bais/mean toward anyone or groups. Respect them at the bare minimum. Best said by Anha, "for a lot of us, this website is a means of getting away from the real world, to escape for just a little bit while fires rage and guns are fired. please do your best to keep this community as safe as possible, both mentally and emotionally" (psa - this is meant to be a safe space). Meaning, no one comes here expecting to be outcasted or hurt, but instead free and open.
This also means it is your "unalienable" right as a writer here on WTW, to avoid these cruelties and bullies. Therefore, if you have a true problem, you have every right to flag and report them. And if the reason is valid, I 100% support you. Let your voice be heard, not silence by the haters. For example, when hearing of discrimination of her community, the contrarian stood up for them: Just An Important Note On LGBT+ Rights/Discrimination! Republished. And if ever needed, I'm sure she'll do it again. If not, I will.

Best said by N., "write whatever the heck you want (within wtw guidelines of course): a phrase that almost reminds me of the "kilroy was here" signs at this point perfectly sums this point up: write free. beyond the rules on content that wtw gives you, there is no criteria for what you should write" (advice no one asked for). 
"Write free" is a popular expression here on WTW, one we truly mean. And whether you write for yourself, others, or both, you should always write from your heart. And I want you to know, that no matter what, you're valued. Numbers of followers shouldn't define you and nobody words should hurt you. We're a community meant to build each other up, not break each other down. I have faith that we can become not the community we once were-but better, stronger.

Until Next Time My Dearies,
                                            Dmoral13
For advertising purposes & to make sure this message gets across, I'm linking this to my message box. Feel free to do the same. I may also republish it repeatedly in the next 48 hours, but then sadly, I shall be disappearing again. The only reason I cam back was to write this upon a lovely friend's request. So here you go! 

Decided to make myself a trend/series of Information:
From a WTW Vet: Her Journey with These Writing Lovelies
From a WTW Vet: Tips, Hints, & Other Miscellaneous Things to Know When on WTW

P.S
I call myself a WTW Vet because I've been here a while & I've grown so much as a person and a writer, but if you don't think I am, I completely understand. Best wishes *kisses*

• June 7, 2020 - 9:01am (Now Viewing)

• anemoia & lattes (#dreams of autumn)

Extremely helpful and well-said. I'll be referencing back to this.
    P.S.! I'm new (joined 10.5.20), and I'm so enjoying this community. Followers aren't the most important thing to me, but if my work interests you whatsoever, follow/like/comment/review. Or not. It's cool.

• Wisp

You're a literal icon, queen, god, legend.
    This piece, I wish more people would read it, especially the newbies (I'm not saying they're like this, I'm just saying that everyone should read this as an introduction to Write the World). This needed to be said, and I'm glad you said it in a respectable and professional manner. You're a literal gift to Write the World and I am so freaking glad I came across you and your writing.

• N.

replying: aw i think that's sweet (and not weird at all)! of course you can be a cryptic soapmaker with me! i have that in my bio because i'm absolutely fascinated with cosmetic chemistry, so i'm kinda hoping that someday once i'm a retired ~chemist~ i can just vibe by the beach and sell my own soap and organic cosmetic products. that comment made me smile at work, so thank you :)

replying: hehe go head to head in catching up on each other’s work? well, u started it. i’m gonna start on that rn ;)
    never thought i’d luv a big sister *rubs my kissed cheeks sheepishly* ^3^ hehe <3

• joella

thank you for saying this!! i agree. i feel like lately many wtw have become focused on their popularity versus sharing their work...anyways. we miss you <3

• N.

very well said, this gives me peace ;)

• Christy Wisdom

I agree with Samina, thanks for writing this and that's so sweet of you!!

once again thank you for your hard work! have fun on your trip <3

• Chloe :) <3

This is so important!! I hope everyone reads this, understands it and really embraces it! Thank you so much for writing this!

• Doodleninja

this was awesome and so helpful! Def gonna link this in my message box :D

thank god you republished. i need this in my life.

• poetri

Very nice! I love this piece and am happy you took the time to republish :)

thank you for sharing this! super helpful for people who haven't been here very long, but I'm really sad you're leaving :(
    also *this is me talking myself up in the comments I guess*

• Samina

Thanks for writing this... You called me sweet little samina... I am very happy and dancing now... <3 <3

Thank you so much for the advice.You are so kind and caring.I already miss you lol.

• Cressida

Thank you for sharing this! Definitely more people need to read this. Now, I'm going to go link this in my message box.

Thank you!! rEsPeCt.