sunny.v

she/her | asian
wtw community’s official older sister
running off into the sunset with circe
est. april 27, 2020

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
satire sorceress, lady knight

she clasps peonies, allure, & love

!!!!! TRIGGER WARNING: discussion of current events (systemic racism/protests). i hope this helps people that disagree with BLM understand. edit: do not twist my words so you can claim that this community is somehow “unsupportive”. you do not HAVE to publish BLM pieces, nor do you have to feel like anyone’s discouraging you from making any action on wtw. in fact, in #7, i say as such. this is your safe space, but this is also ours to speak up about what’s bothering us. i’m not pressuring you to do anything or not do anything.

questions you may have about BLM

33
the elephant in the room is the pot has officially been stirred. i’ve seen my fair share of reservations, counterarguments, and questions about BLM. i’m going to unpack all of them, gently, so if you find yourself asking some of the questions, i hope i’ve provided a fair explanation for you.

1) “hi, i’m white, and i’m offended. why do you keep saying i have white privilege? white people have problems too.”
you’re correct, you do! white privilege means, though, that the color of your skin will never be one of those problems. you will not fear for your life at a routine traffic stop simply because you are white.

2) “okay, but black lives matter excludes other races. ALL lives matter, why should we ONLY care about black lives? asians/latinx/indigenous experience discrimination as well. i don’t get the point of BLM.”
first, the contrarian has explained this very succinctly, so i suggest reading up on it here!
second, my simple analogy is this: of course all lives matter. NO ONE said that they don’t. but because black lives right now bear the BRUNT of racism and oppression in America, the absolute most and FULL FORCE of it, THEY are the ones who we will protect. take it this way: if your friend gets a paper cut while i’m having a heart attack, who would you focus on saving? me, correct? why? because my situation is much more severe. by saving me, you are not invalidating your friend who has a paper cut’s pain. you’re prioritizing. 

3) “okay fine, BLM. it’s horrible what’s happening to them, but the looters and rioters are horrible, too! that’s no excuse for anarchy.”
as i saw on ig, i found this helpful: if your first thought is “it’s horrible what happens to the black victims of brutality, but the looters and rioters are just horrible!” instead of “it’s horrible that there are looters and rioters, but there are black people being killed!” you are prioritizing the wrong thing.
the looters: are sometimes not even affiliated with the protests. poor news coverage.
rioters: stonewall for LGBTQ+ . the women rights’ suffragettes. the civil rights movement. the american revolution. these were all riots. and again, poor media coverage. news anchors rarely show how the protestors started off peaceful and were quickly maced after cameras stopped rolling.

4) “fine, protest. there’s no need to say ACAB, though. there are bad people on both sides. and if you say ACAB then i can say that all black people are criminals, with your logic.”
first: Norah has explained this wonderfully. not only is the piece wonderful, but check out the comment section, where we have a discussion about it.
second: if you read up on that to understand ACAB, absolutely NOT to the second part of the statement. you cannot turn your back on minorities just because you feel like they insulted you. whether or not your feelings were hurt should NOT determine how you support POC.

5) “i saw a cop kneel, actually. and i saw one hug a protestor.”
cool. so…the cameras were rolling? go back to point 4 where Norah explains this.

6) “we just need peace and unity. fighting fire with fire won’t do anything, this hate just adds to the problem!”
your “peace and unity” implies a return to the way things were. the status quo was NOT good. it was NOT benevolent to BIPOC. we need change.
as for the “fire with fire”: you do not get to police how minorities react to centuries of oppression and systemic racism. try to understand POC instead of making an image in your head. and don’t call this “hate”. we’re educating and reforming. and we're hurt. don't try and turn me speaking about this actively into "hate". we're not the enemy.

7) “so what, you want me to post about it constantly? that’s not fair.”
you’re right, and i sincerely apologize if i made you feel this way. as Anha pointed out, wtw is a safe space for many of you, and you are not obligated to leave a means of escapism. however, i’ve seen people actively make passive aggressive actions against BLM pieces and make pro anti-BLM pieces, so forgive me if that doesn’t sit right with me. but again, you have every right to not participate in this. no judgement.

8) “don’t politicize this. BLM is controversial!”
there is nothing political about civil rights. and there is nothing controversial about protecting human rights.

9 ) “okay, i’m convinced. i’m sorry, what can i do to help?”
everyone has room to grow. i'm not mad, per se, at anyone. we’re all young here. i’m 15 and i made the poor decision as an insomniac to word vomit this last night! but it’s what we do after our mistakes that defines us.
donate, sign petitions, protest, support the black community, lend a voice, shut down and educate ignorant friends. this is how you can help. see the contrarian’s and babybluelamentations’ wonderful list of resources and links! here and here
-if you have questions/reservations, please ask in the comments, but keep it civil.
-special thanks to the queens Anha, Norah, the contrarian, and babybluelamentations, as i've linked them in the piece! incredibly informed and awesome gals.

1) this is wonderful. I agree with MOST of this.
    2) the only part I disagree with, that I've kinda kept quiet about because I don't like to make people mad at me, is ACAB. My dad is a cop. He is also the kindest, gentlest, most loving person I know. He is not racist in the least. And neither are his partners. Sure, there may be some cops who are NOT GOOD PEOPLE--but that doesn't mean all of them are. That is like me saying "oh, this dog bit me. well, therefore, all dogs are bad". It's just not fair to say "all", because there are many cops who are wonderful people.
    I really don't want to start an argument, I hope you don't see this as unkind or rude. Black lives do matter. I am strongly for that movement. But I am also strongly against ACAB. I hope you understand...
    I'm sorry for the long comment. Hope you're having a wonderful day <33

• Ashley Steward

thank you :')

• LilaP

Thank you a million for helping me understand better!! Honestly though, I’m sorry that this problem ever existed.

• løne wølf

Thank you for creating this, it really answered some of my biggest questions news reporters couldn't <3

this is all so important and you articulated it really well. it’s awful to think that there are people on this site who would disagree with any of this, but i’m hoping that if there are, they have open minds and can change their views.

• black_and_red_ink

I really like how you tackled common misconceptions in this piece. Very well-written.

replying: haha, there's your comment about height! i *might* have exaggerated it for certain purposes (laughs evilly). also, this may sound weird but you remind me of my best friend a lot, cause she's older than me by a bit and also WAYY shorter

• mia_:)

Hey! Finished my Women in the Media essay! I knew you were interested, so here's a link!

• books4life

wow. thank you so much for educating us on this very important topic

• babybluelamentations

replying: aw, ty darling! you’re the amazing one, though; i see your comments on every single post about the current events, i could never. and yea, that was essentially my line of thought as well, and i’m not great at articulating long thoughts/informational pieces, so i figured i’d help lead people to pieces and sites that do just that :)

• joella

sunny, you're incredible. for real. linking this piece in my bio because it needs to be SEEN. you're constantly spreading awareness and educating others on this important topic- kudos to you <3

Replying: Cool!

• acrosstheuniverse28

Thank you for these important words!
    Replying: Thank you <3 Will do :)

• Halopoet

Replying: ooh i like necromancers. They seem cool

• mia_:)

Replying: tysm!!! I can't wait to get it! :)

• Onion3102

this is so very well done - thank you for sharing!

you're an absolute icon, thank you for this. i've linked this in my compilation piece so hopefully it gets more traction. (you put the wrong link in the comments babe)

Replying: Ohhh okay. Yeah, it is a completely different vibe. I hope you get the chance to chill at a local shop sometime soon.

Replying: I'm... slightly confused as to how you've never been to a coffee shop? Like I don't even drink coffee, but they have a great vibe and plenty of non-coffee things to order...

• delete

Sunny, you’re such a fantastic and lovely person and you clearly care about the community and what’s happening at the moment. I love the format of the typical questions that a lot of white people and others are having at this moment, you’re educating people directly on their ignorance and I just love you for that.

• babybluelamentations

yes! this is an awesome faq and i will definitely be referencing it in the future. “there is nothing political about civil rights. and there is nothing controversial about protecting human rights.” is so perfectly phrased. that’s exactly how it is. tysm for these amazing pieces; i really can’t articulate too well in informative pieces, so i have you and all the other amazing writers on wtw to thank for writing these so wonderfully. <3

• the contrarian

Thanks so much, my dear! As Norah said, keep up the good work.

• Norah

thanks for the boost! keep up the good work

"there is nothing political about civil rights. and there is nothing controversial about protecting human rights."- can i just say that you've explained everything so, so perfectly here.thank you sunny for always speaking up and using your platform <3

Replying: Thank you!

• mia_:)

Thank you so much for this! <3