best at procrastinating

Nissei, Leo, INTP, Slytherclaw, dancer, and oldest child

Band kid - a clarinetist. don't worry, I'm not some uncivilized percussionist or big-headed trumpet

Hoards bookmarks I'll never use

Regrets choosing this username

Check out the footnotes of this piece. I was going to put it here, but it ended up being too long. :)

Of a Dancer #IAmContest

7
I am the body of a dancer without a stage
I wonder where these legs will carry me someday
I hear applause from a future that might not be my path
I see spotlights on a solo that I might not be cast
I want to learn the choreography to show me the way

I pretend that it's easy, each pirouette, each rond de jambe 
I feel stage-fright, stage-joy, and always stage-love
I touch ​every itchy costume and pray I won't spill my food
I worry​ the other girls hate me and just don't want to be rude
I cry​ when each curtain falls and I can't stay
I am ​the body of a dancer without a stage

I understand ​that not everyone can touch their head with their toes
I say ​I'll still dance for you if you're in the back row
I dream ​that all my dreams will someday come true
I try ​to stay on the music and stay with it too
I hope​ ​when my cue is played that I won't wait
I am ​the body of a dancer without a stage​
Some of the lines might sound kinda literal, but most have a deeper personal meaning in my life. I've been told and encouraged by so many people to pursue ballet professionally or at least for college scholarships but for some reason it just doesn't feel right. I have a a natural "ballet-body" (arched feet, flexible everything, long legs) and I feel like I don't deserve a lot of it. I want to create my own future and earn it, not just take advantage of a gift I didn't ask for. I'll probably publish a story on WtW inspired by these thoughts. 

• acrosstheuniverse28

Replying: So cool that we're so similar! Thank you for your well wishes, and I'll "see" you around here more often sooner or later! <3

• AbigailSauble

Good job with the rhythm/rhyming. Also, I love the repeating line. It invokes your reader to actually think about what they're reading, and about how it could relate to them even if they personally do not do ballet.
    Well done! Keep on! God bless!

• acrosstheuniverse28

As a fellow ballet dancer, I can relate to this a lot and I know a lot of others who've struggled with similar questions. I absolutely love ballet, yet I'm not sure a professional career is right for me (but at the same time I feel like that's what I've been working towards?). But thank you so much for writing this piece! It gives a sense of hope in the midst of uncertainty. And in the end, do what will make YOU happy, even if it's not what others want from you!