the contrarian

Proud member of Dumbasses Inc.
Profile is by Sara Kipin.

Anti-gun, pro-choice, very queer, an ally of BIPOC, and supporter of the BLM movement. Read my pieces. Educate yourself.

Joined 2018. Left 2020.

Stay strong, and stay educated! Black and Indigenous Lives Matter!

#BlackLivesMatter Over #AllLivesMatter: An Explanation

35

Hello, my lovelies! Here again, to educate the masses on why saying "All Lives Matter" over "Black Lives Matter" is showing that you are uneducated and uninformed on what the Black Lives Matter movement is all about! This was asked of me by the beautiful, strong-willed sunny.v.

Saying "All Lives Matter" isn't exactly wrong per se. It's technically correct, but it is the end goal. "All Lives Matter" implies that all lives are at the same level of risk. That is to say; white Americans are at the same level of risk as our African American citizens, which is untrue.

The Black Lives Matter movement was created in 2013 by Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tometi, in response to the acquittal of Trayvon Martin's murderer, George Zimmerman. Here is a quote from the Black Lives Matter website:

"Black Lives Matter is an ideological and political intervention in a world where Black lives are systematically and intentionally targeted for demise. It is an affirmation of Black folks'' humanity, our contributions to this society, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression."

Black lives are explicitly at risk, as compared to the lives of other Americans, which is why the movement focuses on black lives. 

Additionally, the All Lives Matter phrase was only created after the Black Lives Matter movement and gained traction and more attention. So, to quickly summarize why All Lives Matter even exists, here's your beautiful truth:

All Lives Matter was created to silence the Black Lives Matter movement.

Take that as you will, but I strongly advise you to read it over and over and over again, so you don't make the same mistake again. Because I'm getting very tired of repeating myself very quickly, and I'm sure others who support the BLM movement are as well.
This was quickly thrown together, and I made it short and sweet because I'm working on a lot of projects right now, and I'm really tired of seeing #AllLivesMatter on here just because people aren't educating themselves properly. Thanks for your support! Love y'all, and Black Lives Matter!

• BizzleWrites

Thank-YOU! THIs iS grEat WOrk! Thank-you for stopping the spread of misinformation.

i can’t believe this needed to be said again, but the dash just HAD to come back around and show that people still sorely need educating.

• Chloe :) <3

Thank YOU so much for this!!! It really needed to be said

• delete

Thank you so much for posting this. A lot of people say ‘all lives matter’ because of ignorance of the racism happening to black people. I don’t think some people have bad intentions when they say that because in a life is valuable, that’s why we have laws that don’t allow murder of any kind, but what they fail to recognise is what you’ve specified here. Police and racists think it’s okay to murder an innocent black person and it’s not. That’s also ignoring the laws they are trying to enforce.

• inanutshell

thank you for this! i get so angry everytime i see comments like those & i honestly can't understand why these people need to make a movement for survival about themselves.

• joella

thank you so, so much for raising awareness. i don't know if this was intended as a response or not but i read a piece advocating for AllLivesMatter and the ignorance was deeply frustrating. keep spreading your message <3 i've linked this in my recent piece

• crow_e

thank you for this - it’s very much needed

• ava09

Thank you sooo much for posting this...it's been very aggravating to see people post pieces like that using #AllLivesMatter. This was short and to the point and really shows why anyone using #AllLiveMatter is completely missing the point of #BLM and the BLM movement. Thank you for everything you've posted so far as well, and stay strong. <3 Black Lives Matter!

oh, thank you so so so so so much for writing this! and yep, I saw the additional piece that you probably saw and i was ticked off. this helps to quell me a bit. i super appreciate you taking the time to write this all out, though. im gonna go link this now. *cracks knuckles*