The Sky Buffalo

I am a student at BART Charter Public School; my first competition is based on the book King Leopold's Ghost.

I would like to know what I can do better, what I can add, grammar mistakes, and missing information.

Hayden Daugherty - The Rubber Imperialist

Imperialism, the policy of extending the rule or authority of an empire or nation over foreign countries, or of acquiring and holding colonies and dependencies. In his book, King Leopold’s Ghost, Adam Hochschild describes the brutal plunder of the Congo by the Belgian king, Leopold II. Hochschild brings to life the horrors of Imperialism and this specific time period through a careful depiction of historical figures and events. Hochschild relates the story of the author Joseph Conrad who went to the Congo and “was so horrified by the greed and brutality among white men he saw there, that his view of human nature was permanently changed.” King Leopold was the rubber Imperialist, scavenging the congo for the material, mistreating and abusing the citizens, and doing it all secretively; other countries to be oblivious to his actions. This book opened my mind, personally, to the events that occurred in the Congo, and what King Leopold and many other of his advisories, such as Stanley and Williams, have done. From a personal perspective, Imperialism is relative to Nazism, the concurring of a country, taking over the rights and the will of the citizens, and doing what one pleases, in an area that is not occupied by themselves. In Joseph Conrad's, Heart of Darkness, in a section of the beginning of the book, he speaks of a group of black males walking, chained together, roped, tied, he could see the bones and joints of the slaves, being led by a single white man with a rifle. This is an example of imperialism. A white man is controlling a group of people that were found in their own homes, and without their consent. Back to King Leopold and the tyranny he ensued, he commanded many of his troops to head into the Congo and scout out the area; African's were taking as slaves, and if they fought back, were killed. The white men asked to do the work, were told they could do anything they wanted to do to the African's, as long as King Leopold got the resources he wanted, which after conquering the Congo, was rubber. His troops forced Africans to acquire the sap needed to produce rubber, and the troops would do whatever pleased them to the African's, most notably cutting off hands, whipping Adults, Women, Children whenever, and where ever they wanted. This were the imperialistic actions taken by King Leopold, discussed in Hochschild's book, King Leopold's Ghost.

Say whatever you want, anything is helpful criticism.

1