sunny.v

she/her | asian
wtw community’s official older sister
running off into the sunset with circe
est. april 27, 2020

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
satire sorceress, lady knight

she clasps peonies, allure, & love

!!!!!! TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of systemic racism and violence in regards to current issues. hurt and disappointed in the people that don’t share this sentiment of protecting BIPOC. *edit: i want to clarify that if you aren’t speaking out about it on WTW, i don’t mean to attack you, and i apologize for that. this site is a means of escape for many people, and i don’t mean to attack you for wanting to hold a safe space. i was referring to those that are suspiciously silent and make dodgy actions that seem to attack BLM on my dash. go check out the contrarian’s most recent piece on BLM over ALM.

take your courage and rip off the tape

what does it matter?
what does it matter to you, yeah? all your bravery, all your “make the world a better place”, all your “love to all people”, what does it matter?

tell me, and tell me quickly, because i have worn the shackles of a country that has scorned my people and has scorned my siblings of color and has scorned those who were anything but a different breed than them,
and i am out of patience, and you are out of time.
hide under the guise of “universal love and piece”, oh, wear a muzzle! wear the muzzle that you kept over us, because we will speak now, and you will hear us.

my black siblings, i will not allow you to be silenced for longer, and i will shout your anger, i will shout your pain, i will shout your deliverance, and my voice is raw, but you will choke me out before i am silent.
they begged for you to hear them, they begged for you not to put kneel over their necks and smother, begged to breathe, but such is america, and they were turned away.

do not come to me with your tales of “not only” and “but not all”, because i have grit my teeth and blinked back tears, and i can explain gently, but you will not listen.
those that have bore the brunt of a nation’s history of hate deserve our attention, they deserve our voices, they deserve to matter more to you than your impassive ignorance and your hiding and indifference.
it is not enough to turn a blind eye to their cries and pretend that you do not see how we keel over and beg.
if you say you are brave, then prove it to us now, and stand, because we have had far enough of your silence when you have demanded as such from us for the sake of how “comfortable” you must feel.

rubber bullets and pepper spray and mace aren’t pungent enough for you to see, but those who are labelled as “thugs” are enough for you to denounce a call for revolution?
the media shows you robbers and criminals, but they do not show how peaceful gatherings were driven through by trucks, and a teenager was aimed at directly to the head, and so, you become the oppressor.

is it so hard, to ask you to care? is it so hard to ask that you do not kneel over us when we move to speak? if you are uncomfortable with how i rip the tape off your mouth and demand that you stand with us, then for the first time in this movement, i do not know what to say.

except, i do. black lives matter.
-i’m angry. if you’re uncomfortable with how i and other wtw authors speak so much about this, then imagine how black people must feel having to go through this.
-of course all lives matter. NO ONE said that they don’t. but because black lives right now bear the BRUNT of racism and oppression in America, the absolute most and FULL FORCE of it, THEY are the ones who we will protect. take it this way: if your friend gets a paper cut while i’m having a heart attack, who would you focus on saving? me, correct? why? because my situation is much more severe. by saving me, you are not invalidating your friend who has a papercut’s pain. you’re prioritizing.
-if you are not a POC, it’s hard to understand this yourself, so making it your job to understand the plight of minorities instead of reducing the cause to looting and rioting should be a priority.

1

• Dmoral

"do not come to me with your tales of “not only” and “but not all”, because i have grit my teeth and blinked back tears, and i can explain gently, but you will not listen."
    aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh

this whole damn piece hit, sunny, good god

• delete

YES, SUNNY! You speak out! You deserve your voice to be heard on this platform full of diversity and teenagers who want to make a change. You made some extremely valid points and I will not be on the side of the oppressor because I’m white. I stand with you and you deserve to be angry about this because it’s a defraud of human rights. Every human deserves to speak and not have their necks crushed and their voices silenced. I am disgraced with how police have been kneeling but not out of peace, but to get protestors to come near them so they can shoot them with rubber bullets and spray tear gas. It breaks my f***** heart! How can they not understand that people of colour deserve as much human rights as them. What have POC ever done to them? I do not understand their supremacy.

Thank you for writing this. You worded this perfectly. It truly is the time for us to take our courage and rip off the tape. It's time for real change.

• mia_:)

Replying: Yep! Thank you so much again! *hug*

• mia_:)

Replying: Thank you so much for offering to do a review! I republished the contest piece under a free writing page to avoid unpublishing it, so could you do the review on the original one that says it's for the food comp? Thanks! <3

this is so powerful, thank you for always speaking out about important issues sunny.

• ect.13

"i have worn the shackles of a country that has scorned my people" - This is so brilliant and such an important issue! Well done for speaking out - I can't even imagine how bad it is. Everyone needs this kind of education <3

• anonymous_123

I'm sorry that you felt that way about my piece. I thought that Black Lives Matter meant really only black lives. I just wanted to provide some peace, that was my intention. I respect your opinion, I just feel like unity and peace should be shown. That's my opinion. I hate that black lives are in this much jeopardy!

also, don’t reduce anyone speaking out for BLM and being reasonably frustrated to “hate” or the “bad guy”. everyone i’ve seen has been incredibly informative and has spoken to be HEARD. if you are more upset and bothered by POC speaking out against racism, reevaluate. we are not your enemy.

• babybluelamentations

this is more than speech-worthy. this needs to be screamed out to the entire country and beyond. my highest praises go to you for your tireless efforts in educating the people. keep going strong. <3

• Kaitlyn ❄

Don't feel bad about the misspelling! This was amazing and powerful

• black_and_red_ink

Such a powerful piece and you did such a great job of showing how anger is not a bad emotion, it's an important emotion that can be used for change. And you talked about how we should be supporting BLM not with words but with actions. Well done and thank you for speaking out about this topic.

ah, shoot. i’m so embarrassed. i was so ticked off that i misspelled “universal love and peace” as “universal love and piece”.

@white mountains: yep, i’ve been on nearly every BLM post on here. and i’m tired! but duty calls, and it’s just unlike me to NOT speak out on this. gotta go continue educating strangers now!

• joella

reply: thank you :) i think we're all angry and hurt and upset *hugs you back* dm'ed you to say this but it's worth saying again: i've seen you comment on almost every blm piece on this site and i really admire the way you're raising awareness. you might not be calm or collected but you're fighting for justice and educating others and that's really important. kudos to you.

• joella

this is so, so important. kudos to you for speaking out.

• ava09

Thank you for writing this..it's well said and you voice the feelings perfectly. I've struggled to find what I want to say but couldn't figure it out and you've found the words. Thank you for speaking out and sharing your voice. I hope I can find mine soon too. <3

• the contrarian

Reply: You asked me to write a piece on why All Lives Matter isn't an appropriate response to Black Lives Matter, and I threw it together because I saw another piece in addition to the one you originally sent me, and I was too irked to wait and write it at a later date. Sorry that it's super short!

• Two Heartbeats

I love this. "e i have worn the shackles of a country that has scorned my people and has scorned my siblings of color and has scorned those who were anything but a different breed than them," SO POWERFUL

the narrator's voice in this is insane. but in a good way.

• Remaking_The_World

Ps. Is there a way to like, broadcast this to the whole world?!?

• Remaking_The_World

I can’t even begin to explain how much this spoke to me. I struggle a lot with feelings of “Am I doing enough to help?” “Am I doing the opposite of helping by not saying anything?” But you’ve inspired me and next time I get the chance, I will say something.

@aditi thank you! i don’t blame people for not speaking out on Wtw specifically, per se, since this website is for some people, escapism and such. but if you’re silent about blm and then you do dodgy things on the dash that go against it...yeah, doesn’t sit right with me.

• aditi

thank you so much for writing this. it really enlightened me and i agree with the lack of words on this website. im not saying it's wrong, but it was nice to read a change of pace from the normal romance or everything else. this was totally needed, especially at a time like this

• asta

you've worded this beautifully, thank you for speaking up.

• mia_:)

Totally agree with this! By remaining silent, you are siding with the oppressor. Thank you for writing this!