the contrarian

Proud member of Dumbasses Inc.
Profile is by Sara Kipin.

Anti-gun, pro-choice, very queer, an ally of BIPOC, and supporter of the BLM movement. Read my pieces. Educate yourself.

Joined 2018. Left 2020.

We can make a change! I'm sure of it!

Resources to Support the BLM Movement

16

PETITIONS

#DefundThePolice

"Enough is enough.

Our pain, our cries, and our need to be seen and heard resonate throughout this entire country.

We demand acknowledgment and accountability for the devaluation and dehumanization of Black life at the hands of the police.

We call for radical, sustainable solutions that affirm the prosperity of Black lives.

George Floyd’s violent death was a breaking point — an all too familiar reminder that, for Black people, law enforcement doesn’t protect or save our lives. They often threaten and take them.

Right now, Minneapolis and cities across our country are on fire, and our people are hurting — the violence against Black bodies felt in the ongoing mass disobedience, all while we grapple with a pandemic that is disproportionately affecting, infecting, and killing us.

We call for an end to the systemic racism that allows this culture of corruption to go unchecked and our lives to be taken.

We call for a national defunding of police. We demand investment in our communities and the resources to ensure Black people not only survive, but thrive. If you’re with us, add your name to the petition right now and help us spread the word."

#JusticeforBre: Police officers who killed Breonna Taylor must be FIRED and CHARGED.

"Dear Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer and Commonwealth's Attorney Thomas Wine, 

I am outraged and horrified that Breonna Taylor was gunned down and shot more than eight times while in her home after officers barged in with no warrant and illegally took her life. More than two months after cops murdered her, they have faced no consequences and despite being responsible for the tragedy, they are still employed by the LMPD. 

The LMPD officers, Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, Brett Hankison, and Myles Cosgrove took Breonna’s life as she was just resting in her home doing nothing wrong. No warrant, no announcement, and no need to be in her home in the first place. These officers must immediately be fired and charged with murder for illegally entering her home, their egregious misconduct, and taking Breonna’s young life.

I am calling on you to fire and charge them now! 

Sincerely, 
[Your Name]"

FIGHT FOR BREONNA. #JustiveForBre

"Breonna Taylor was an award-winning EMT and first responder in Lousiville, KY, who loved helping her patients and her community. “She was an essential worker. She had to go to work,” her mother, Tamika Palmer said of her dedication to standing on the frontlines of this pandemic. “She didn’t have a problem with that.”

Breonna survived the frontlines of a pandemic that disproportionately kills Black people, only to have her life stolen by police."

Help Get Justice for Ahmaud

"Ahmaud Arbery was jogging when two white supremacists with deep ties to law enforcement grabbed their guns, hunted him down, and killed him.

This is clearly a hate crime, but right now Georgia doesn’t have statewide laws to help Ahmaud’s case. Ahmaud’s story is gaining national attention right now, which means we have an opportunity to get justice. But we have to act quickly.

In light of overwhelming public pressure, the Georgia Bureau of investigation has arrested Gregory and Travis McMichael and now also William “Roddie” Bryan—but our work is not done. Joyette Holmes and the GBI should bring charges against the McMichael’s and William “Roddie” Bryan, and should investigate and bring charges against Glynn County Police Officer Robert Rash, whose role in the crime is just now coming to light.

We are working directly with the family and their attorney to seek immediate justice for Ahmaud. Each signature added will also send a letter to officials who have the power to make a difference in this case. Please join us by adding your name!"

Justice for Ahmaud Arbery

"Ahmad Arbery, 25, was chased and gunned down on February 23, 2020 while exercising in the Satalla Shores neighborhood in Brunswick, GA.

His assailants followed him, cornered him, and confronted him with a deadly weapon.

The DA is personal friends with one of the assailants and has failed to bring charges against either assailant in this blatant incident of racial profiling that led to the untimely death of an innocent man. Please sign this petition so that charges will be filed and justice for Ahmaud Arbery's family can be served."

Justice for Belly Mujinga.

"This petition exists to help find and prosecute the individual who assaulted Belly Mujinga at London Victoria whilst knowingly being infected with COVID-19. This cruel and senseless act of unprovoked violence ultimately likely lead to her death at the hands of this relentless virus and the hospitalisation of her colleague.

We know how important employment is right now and most particularly the ability to be able to travel when necessary. Many essential workers rely heavily on public transportation to get to and from work, in particular trains, the tube and buses as they provide near 24/7 access to services we as a nation need most right now. These services are vital for essential workers whilst within this global pandemic. Whilst we are grateful for their continuous existence in this difficult time what we must not forget is that whilst we utilise them there are individuals on an alternative frontline, like Belly who ultimately risk their lives to keep these services running smoothly.

Belly, her colleagues and her family deserve justice. There are serious questions that need answering and changes that must be implemented in order to prevent deaths like Belly’s happening again. Belly suffered from an underlying respiratory condition but despite telling her family she “was scared for her life”, her employer decided this was not reasonable grounds to reduce her contact hours and allow her to work behind a protective screen, stop her working directly with passenger flow on Victoria’s concourse or provide her and her colleagues with adequate effective PPE. Govia Thameslink simply stated “PPE for our staff was not required”. Belly was assaulted, namely spat on whilst at work. PPE could have protected her. She should have been provided with it. This lack of protection is negligent and is a dangerous precedent that cannot be continued, the risk is simply too high.

By signing this petition you are helping to call on Govia Thameslink to provide an explanation as to why Belly was still working in direct contact with general public passenger flow whilst as her employer, they were likely aware of just how serious the risk of exposure to COVID-19 was to her, as an individual with a respiratory underlying health condition. We must also know why staff members are not being provided with adequate PPE whilst interacting with members of the public, as we may never unfortunately know if this could have saved Belly.

We also ask British Transport Police to swiftly seek to identify the individual who assaulted Belly so he can face legal repercussions. London Victoria is one of the busiest stations in London, and highly likely to still have a consistent public presence due to essential workers who commute into the city. Whether it be via independent investigation or CCTV it is imperative that this individual does not get away with assaulting a dedicated, selfless individual who was simply working to keep the nation moving in such a stressful time. Nobody deserves to be assaulted at work, your employer should protect you. It would be an injustice that an act of violence so spiteful and humiliating goes unnoticed or ignored legally.

Belly was a vital essential worker but that was just her job. She was a mother, wife, sister and friend to many and her story is although upsetting, not likely individual in nature. If we are able to protect doctors and nurses we must seek to put measures in place to adequately protect those individuals that make their journeys to work where necessary, possible. All frontline workers within Transport for London and their umbrella companies should be recognised equally and PPE should be a necessity, not a luxury."

Hands Up Act

"My name is Travis Washington. I will be graduating with an M. A, degree in Higher Education and Administration from Southern Illinois University Carbondale in May 2019. I have been politically involved, from registering people to vote, to work in the Springfield Capitol (as an Alexander Lane Fellow, January to May 2017).

We know how so many people of cultural minorities are in constant fear of leaving their household. This fear in our lives far too often comes from individuals working in public safety who harm people. Every single week we hear about another unarmed innocent vulnerable human being shot by the police. This has increased the trauma and fear that has made people of color scared to leave their homes.

We need legislation now that prohibits police officers from shooting unarmed citizens. If there isn’t a weapon found after someone has been shot (therefore, unarmed) by a police officer, then I propose that the officer should receive a mandatory 15-year prison sentence.

We have seen over and over police officers get off, even with videotape footage of citizens having been shot by police officers. This is a new form of lynching. I am pleading with you to propose a bill that protects people who have every right to feel threatened by law enforcement. We always say we need more training for those involved in public safety, and there are increasing policies and laws that mandate that police officers have “body cameras” on them. Those measures do not address the whole problem, not when the individual officers who shoot unarmed victims aren’t punished.

Senator, we are in a crisis where relationships between people of color and police officers are deteriorating, beyond the critical level. In order to build any sort of positive relationships again, we need laws to keep a balance in the lives of all the public. I might even suggest this as a title for this proposed legislation: the Hands UP ACT.

I will be emailing this to the all of your colleagues in the U. S. Senate, members of Congress, State Governors; Democracy Now, the Huffington Post, ThinkProgress; and to other appropriate organizations across the country. Once this petition receives enough attention. My goal to speak before the House of Representatives or United Nations during a committee hearing to bring attention to this policy. 

Thank You !!"

OTHER RESOURCES

The Guide to Allyship

"To be an ally is to...
  1. Take on the struggle as your own.
  2. Stand up, even when you feel scared.
  3. Transfer the benefits of your privilege to those who lack it.
  4. Acknowledge that while you, too, feel pain, the conversation is not about you."
How To Take Action And Support The Black Lives Matter Movement In L.A. Right Now

"For a radical transformation, action is necessary. To be a part of the change and support the powerful movement there are a number of tangible ways you can help."

BOOKS, ARTICLES, AND RESOURCES TO READ (source)

Anti-racism resources for white people (via Sarah Sophie Flicker and Alyssa Klein)

75 things white people can do for racial injustice (via Medium)

Ways to help (via Black Lives Matter)

IG: George Floyd: How can I help from the UK? (via Das Penman)

IG: 10 steps to non-optical allyship (via Mireille Harper)

IG: Transform Allyship into Action: A Toolkit for Non-Black People (via Social Justice in Medicine Coalition at USC)

Twitter Thread: UK-based charities, organisations and platforms whose work aims to eradicate racial injustice (Via Black Ballad)

Twitter Thread: Advice for companies from Sheree Atcheson, Monzo’s Head of Diversity and Inclusion (Via Sheree Atcheson)

Why I’m No longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge⁣⁣⁣

I’m Still Here by Austin Channing Brown

Natives by Akala

Dark Days by James Baldwin

Diversify by June Sarpong

How To Be Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi

Don’t Touch My Hair by Emma Dabiri

White Supremacy and Me by Layla F. Saad

The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander

Freedom Is A Constant Struggle by Angela Davis

They Can’t Kill Us All by Wesley Lowery

Your Silence Will Not Protect You by Audre Lorde

White Girls by Hilton Als

Brit(ish) by Afua Hirsch

Black and British: A Forgotten History by David Olusoga

The Good Immigrant, edited by Nikesh Shukla

GUIDES AND TOOLS (source)

How to protest safely during a pandemic (via VICE)

Five points to consider before going to a Black Lives Matter protest in London or the UK (via @VARAIDZO)

Know your rights (via @initialola on Twitter)

Tool for quickly scrubbing metadata from images and selectively blurring faces and identifiable features (via @everestpipkin Twitter)

Free flyer printing (via The Photocopy Club also here)
If you have any other links to add, PLEASE SHARE THEM IN THE COMMENTS! I tried my best to get as many resources as possible on here, but there are still so many out there that I know I missed a few. Thanks for your support!

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

Thank you so much for taking the time to compile these resources, I appreciate it -- also, it just occurred to me that I never asked you: is it okay if I link this in my message to readers?

• Wicked!

Thank you so, so much for these pieces. They must've taken so much effort and time to compile. Is it alright if I link this piece in my bio?

i hope it’s alright for me to add (even if it’s not a resource): do NOT donate to change dot org after signing their petitions. they’re a private corp and the funds don’t even go to the people organizing the petitions! and if you don’t have the financial resources to donate, there’re YouTube ads that you can watch that will help give money to the organizers/bail funds.
    also, i know there’s links to these matters, but quick tips/crash course if you’re protesting: do not use milk for tear gassed eyes! baking soda and water does the trick, but milk WILL give you an infection. no contacts, no makeup, rubber bullets are HUGE and misleading (they’re just metal coated in rubber). ACAB, babes.
    (thank you so much for writing all of this: you’re a beacon of light, and i know i’ll be revisiting this piece tirelessly the next few days.)

• babybluelamentations

https://www.wecantbreathenational.org/
    also here’s another petition for #WeCantBreathe

• babybluelamentations

this must have taken you so, so long to compile. you’ve been cranking out pieces by the hour! i have no clue how you do it.
    can i link this piece in my bio as a resource thread?

• joella

i think i said this on your other piece but thank you so, so much for compiling these resources!! it's honestly inspiring the way you use this platform to educate others and help facilitate change.