CactusKid

"Living without passion is like being dead." - Jeon Jungkook of BTS

Keep going :)

Writer. Reader. Music-lover. Fangirl. :)

My eternal resolution will be...to do too much. - "Orlando" by Blood Orange

See Me

A friend texted me. I'm not black, but I see you.

We go to different schools and have different friends, but our friendship grew from our shared experience and love of French class, books, and K-pop. 

But with those six words, I suddenly felt like an alien. Isolated.

I'm not black, but I see you.

Why should my skin color matter in a friendship? Why does that have to be an unusual factor at all in any black person's life? Why can't we walk to the store, go for run, and pursue our aspirations without the chains of prejudice constantly holding us down? 

Throughout my life, I've always been in the minority. When I was younger, I didn't see it. But growing up, I've come around to getting used to it. I try to not notice it, but it's always at the back of my mind. How am I any different from the kid sitting next to me?

I'm not black, but I see you.

But do you feel the pressure? Do you feel the weight of expectations? 

"Speak properly. Straighten your shoulders and lift up your chin. Wear nice clothes and clean your shoes. Work hard." My dad reminds.

I'm not black, but I see you.

But do you see how we have to work harder than anyone else? Endure more than anyone else? Despite our best efforts, there is always someone who treats us different and looks at us different.

And that's painful.

I'm not black, but I see you.

I'm not so sure about that. Do you really see that we all have red blood that flows in our veins? Do you really see that we are human too?

Yet here we are today, still finding it difficult to see each other as one.

This is so powerful!!! (also welcome to WTW!)