Peer Review by linaria17 (United States)

To Eat or Not To Eat: Living with a Food Allergy

By: mia_:)

Every time I step inside a restaurant, I wonder if I will leave healthy or poisoned. As a teenager living with food sensitivities in a culinary society, a single misstep can lead to sickness. Though food safety is progressing, I must tread carefully to ensure my safety. 
    I was diagnosed with celiac disease at age five. If I eat gluten, which is in wheat, barley, and rye, my immune system attacks itself, leading to flu-like symptoms. However, avoiding these ingredients isn't the hardest part. People with celiac disease are often so sensitive to gluten even a crumb falling into their glass of water can trigger a reaction, called cross-contamination.
    Communication is crucial in making sure people living with food allergies are safe, but it is often lacking. I was in New York for Thanksgiving and my parents took us to a gluten-free restaurant. We wanted to get their Thanksgiving special, which consisted of turkey, potatoes, and cranberry sauce, much like our traditional Thanksgiving meal. Our waiter came to take our order and my mom went down the customary checklist to see if it would be safe for me to eat. "Do you clean your cutting boards? Your ovens? You're a dedicated gluten-free facility, right?" The waiter assured us everything was gluten-free. My mom went on to grill him about the meal we planned to order and he promised it was safe for me to eat. "So, the Thanksgiving Special, with the turkey and the mashed potatoes, is one hundred percent gluten-free?" The waiter was shocked. He seemed appalled we would even consider a gluten-free rub on turkey. By making that single dish with the allergen, the place was no longer a dedicated facility. If my mom hadn't pressed on about the meal, I would have gotten sick. That experience scared me and caused me to be more cautious about my allergy than is probably healthy.
    When I get contaminated, I feel awful. I throw up, have headaches, and feel extremely fatigued. My immune system attacks my villi, structures in the small intestine that absorb nutrients, which can lead to a nutrition deficiency. It can take weeks to fully recover. Still, that is nothing compared to what happens if someone with a more serious allergy gets exposed. My father's co-worker was camping with his daughter, who had a severe peanut allergy. It was dark and she ate something that would normally be peanut-free, but wasn't. She went into anaphylactic shock and passed away. I was upset and scared when I heard about her death. Though I'm not in danger of anaphylaxis, her story fed into my fears. A misplaced ingredient robbed a teenage girl of her life, which could have been saved by a cardstock sign over the food, warning her what it contained. Could I have my health stolen from me too?
   Our communities have made huge strides toward a safer society, but people with food allergies, especially kids, still face intolerance daily. One-third of children with food allergies are bullied as a result. There was an incident where a child with a severe dairy allergy passed away after being chased with milk by his classmates. When I heard about it, I was horrified. This young boy, fallen victim to ignorance and cruelty, made my heart ache and my face burn. My community is supportive, not limiting me to my disease. I'm not just the celiac girl; I'm also a believer, a dreamer, an achiever. This boy died an outsider, the allergy kid. Did he want to be an astronaut? An artist? An acrobat? And now he never will.
    Another problem food sensitive people face is the cost of living. I've noticed gluten-free food is more expensive, but this doesn't worry me now, because my parents support me. However, I am concerned about moving out and going to college. How will I be able to afford a living space, tuition, and student debt, while dumping my minimum-wage paycheck into food that is up to 145% more expensive?
    Food allergies also have an emotional impact and can lead to conflicting views within the household. My mom is very careful and when I ask her if something is safe for me to eat, she usually responds with, "Is it worth it?" To me, it's never worth getting sick, so I often don't eat foods that are probably safe. In retrospect, she told me, she wished she'd been less paranoid since her over-cautiousness caused me anxiety. My dad, however, thinks I should expand my horizons and try new things. I don't want to live in constant fear, but it's hard to rewire the way I've been thinking since my diagnosis.
    Another issue I experience is a lack of trust. My librarian once tried to pressure me into eating ice cream, even though I assured her I couldn't. She kept telling me, "You'll be fine," and "What's the worst that could happen?" The experience stressed me out. If someone offers me something and tells me it's gluten-free, I still double-check the ingredients to be certain.
    Trust goes both ways, though. I have elevated levels of gluten in my blood, even on a gluten-free diet, and I've had a nurse look at me skeptically and ask if I was "cheating." My mom reassured her I wouldn't and how I prioritize my health over pleasure, but the nurse didn't trust me. "Teens cheat all the time, and don't tell their parents." I knew my mom believed me, but it hurt that a nurse I didn't even know had already pegged me as a liar.
    Staying safe with a food allergy is difficult, with social pressures, the elevated cost of living, fear of contamination, and even bullying, but I feel confident that the world will learn to prioritize food allergy safety. We're only a few ingredients away from a safer, more inclusive society and, if we work hard and don't forget to clean the oven to prevent cross-contamination, the final product will be something everyone can enjoy.

I was intrigued by the topic of this essay. I do not know many people with severe food allergies, so it was interesting to see that it is truly a very significant problem to be dealing with. I enjoyed learning about the role of food allergies in relationships and was somewhat shocked to hear that it impacted the way the person with food allergies was perceived. The way you describe a food allergy is almost the way some people describe their chronic illnesses. It reminds me of this video I once watched about a person with epilepsy who said "epilepsy has affected every aspect of my life, from employment to my participation in sports". The way you treat the subject matter with such gravity and sensitivity drives home the importance of food safety.

Kudos to you for making this piece seem like something so much more than food, something that is literally a matter of life or death. I felt that the interactions of people with food allergies with society were brilliantly portrayed, and I liked the reference to a family gathering at Thanksgiving. However, I really wanted to know more about how your food allergies affected your relationship with the people around you. Do you get special treatment because of your allergies? Do people ever make you feel guilty for being a "picky eater"? What are the emotional consequences of such actions to yourself or others?

I really want to know more about how food allergies have impacted your relationships with your friends and family. You mention that other people have been bullied for it, and that you've been fortunate not to have similar experiences, but how do you think you would have been viewed differently if you didn't have a food allergy? Furthermore, I wanted to know more about how you felt emotionally in the moments when your food allergy impacted the way you interacted with people and society, like the anecdote you gave about the nurse saying you "cheated". How did it make you feel?

I love the beginning. It absolutely highlights the magnitude of the problem of unsafe food in the context of food allergies and is very concise in doing so. I like that the last sentence of your first paragraph is a clear transition and progression into your discussion of how this issue has affected you personally.

I love this piece! I love the tone, the balance between anecdotes used as evidence and calls to action for more rigid enforcement of food safety regulations. I love the questions you interspace in the prose that brings it alive through dialogue.

Keep writing! It is a strong piece and I thoroughly enjoyed having the opportunity to review it.