inanutshell

she/her/illiterate

so i'm not from the US but have been following this closely. just wanna say that I chose not to comment on America as a whole as I don't live there, am not American, will never know what it's like, so i feel that it's not my place to comment on that aspect of this tragedy.

instead, i chose to focus on the apathy some people have for this, both here in my country and everywhere else. a lot of people really like to pretend racism isn't a thing, and get so uncomfortable talking about it (don't even get me started on the IG story chains).

this isn't a takedown of Singapore - we have a good system in place, far more advanced than most but still nowhere near perfect. our attitudes towards people outside our country especially could use a lot of work. there's so much xenophobia here people forget we actually depend so much on foreign talent. but all lives don't matter until black lives do, and we can do our best to support black Americans at this time when they need us.

*reposting to highlight other pieces by actual Americans who have articulated several strong points, pls check them out.
https://bit.ly/3eHBkHi (#BlackLivesMatter Over #AllLivesMatter: An Explanation by the contrarian)
https://bit.ly/304jDxA [some educational counter-points to things I have seen people say about current events (+free resources) by Norah]

I can't take it anymore - TW

TW for recent events - protests, racial inequality

I live in a country that likes to pretend racism isn't a thing.
We're a melting pot of diversity!
(...or so I've been told)
for a country so built on equal opportunities for all
we refuse to acknowledge the racial implications of
our meritocratic system,
our implicit biases,
or how I've always heard

"not my country, not my problem"

so when does it become our problem?
you say that as if there aren't black people in our country
who must be hurting by our silence.
if "all lives matter" why do you get to pick and
choose who you care about?
if you think "they're not doing this the right way"
then what is?
Kaepernick's silent protest cost him his career.
the people of Hong Kong were ignored for years.
protests, peaceful or otherwise, 
are still banned here in Singapore.
(that's how much they fear us.)

it's all "out of sight, out of mind"
until it arrives on your doorstep.
what will you do then?
it's so easy to ignore what's in front of us
but harder to confront our deficiencies and actually empathise.
"I can't breathe"
echoes around the world while
we log off and continue to breathe easy.
but not for Eric Garner, Muhlaysia Booker,
Sandra Bland, Alton Sterling, 
Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor,
George Floyd.
and those are just some of the names we know.
what about the others
whose names aren't immortalised in a hashtag?

from the other side of the world,
I know we can't objectively do much.
but we can educate ourselves,
call for an end to this long-standing racial inequality,
stand with black folks around the world,
and do our part to incite change.

so yeah,
fuck
your ignorance,
your silence,
your Instagram story chains.

"tak boleh tahan"
I can't take it anymore.
reference
- Wikipedia. (2019). Tak Boleh Tahan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tak_Boleh_Tahan
- Malay for I can't take it anymore

I'll admit I'm not the best person to recommend good sources for reading up on this, but we all need to start somewhere and if you do intend to, here are some good starting points where i've learned a lot!
- Between the World & Me, We were Eight Years in Power, both powerful books by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Black Lives Matter movement (search for their carrds, can't link them here in case this gets taken down)
- Minnesota Freedom Fund & Reclaim the Block
- Change/Wethepeople/MoveOn petitions

1

You worded this perfectly, I love this! Thank you for speaking out, wonderful work! :)

i love this and how universal it is, especially outside of America. your anger is just so clear. thank you so much for speaking out on this! you worded this much more concisely then I did. much love <3

• qiyan

This was a great read! As a Singaporean, I related to many of the points you expressed. Thank you for sharing your perspective with us!

• Karma's_Coming

Wait. It’s daytime in Singapore isn’t it? Sorry. Well then have a nice day. If it is daytime. I’m confusing myself.

• Karma's_Coming

I really enjoyed reading about your perspective and how you didn’t nail it down to specifically America. Have a nice night.