Ibex

as in Presbyterian Church in America
(denomination)
Writer
Novelist
Reader
Ambivert or something
Self-proclaimed band nerd
Planet Earth nerd
etc, etc
Joined September 10, 2019

um... this happened today and I really don't know what it is

anatomy of a freshman

7
  1. her feet with chipped toenails painted periwinkle blue / are all her failures / her lost friends and crumpled photographs / her discarded dreams and forgotten loves / she treads on them now / leaves them dusty and dirty and doesn’t care enough to wash them / after walking all these years and dragging them behind her / she’s gotten used to the smell
  2. her legs that she forgets to shave / are her vessels / running the race for her / she trusts them to carry her to the finish line / but some days they buckle and give out from beneath her / and she finds herself on the ground with skinned knees
  3. her intestines are her nemeses / some days they don’t cause trouble / but on others they spring upon her in the middle of the night / stabbing her abdomen with daggers / and no matter how many foods she cuts out of her diet / how many habits she learns to change / they still remain / as painful as ever
  4. her heart that beats without fail / is her treasure / given to only those who can unlock it / she is wary now of who she gives herself away to / hidden here in the atriums and the ventricles / are the betrayals and the false smiles / she is careful so that her heart will not break again / she has pulled her heart back into herself / like a turtle into its shell / and locked it away and thrown out the key
  5. her mouth that she has learned to keep shut / carries her regrets / always exhaling in a constant sigh / some days she wonders if she could take it all back / swallow her mistakes in a single gulp / but they remain to tease her / like the stars she’ll never reach
  6. her hazel eyes with flecks of gold / are the windows into her soul / so deep and dark / and full of life / don’t look into her eyes / you’ll get lost in them / but amidst all the pain / these are the eyes that search for hope / and find it

• June 2, 2020 - 7:51am (Now Viewing)

Wow... I am so impressed! This is amazing!

• Wicked!

This is beautiful, especially "but they remain to tease her / like the stars she’ll never reach"

This is so effortlessly stunning!
    "but on others they spring upon her in the middle of the night / stabbing her abdomen with daggers" Is that about cramps? Because I get that sentiment so much I wrote an entire poem about it XD.
    "hidden here in the atriums and the ventricles / are the betrayals and the false smiles"
    Gosh that's my favorite line. Keep up the good work!

i love this so much! especially as a freshman myself

• mia_:)

Amazing!