Writers of the World

Retired.
Love you all.
[Formerly ran by Dmoral & BurningMidnightOil]

To those who remember us,
Thanks for everything, are 2 years of activity were everything, it was truly amazing.

To those who don't know us,
You missed a heck of a couple of years, but I'm sure your time here will still be amazing. Perhaps one day we'll be back and active. Perhaps.

Announcement, PSA, Etiquette, Common Courtesy, & Advice: Updated

26
Okay, so this account does not really take part in controversial events or trends. Like asking us for Q&As is a no-no as is posting about essays and nonfiction. Then there's posting about tips/guides, which we don't know (but aren't dissing other writers for doing so! we actually like that you're all putting your voices out there to be heard!). Anyway, we just chose to avoid this because it might lead to chaos and arguments. 

However, I feel as though it is time to make a stand. Ever since quarantine started I felt as though there's been a shift/change here on WTW.

For one thing, the crazy amount of contests occurring. I feel as though many people are losing sight of what WTW is really about. And that's writing, not contests. I'm not hating on people or their contests, I'm just actually concerned. There's already a lot happening and now all these contests keep popping up. So many writers are stressed, confused, or annoyed by them. Plus, it's hard for people to find real pieces to read and not contest information. Now, I loved a good user-hosted contest as much as the next person, however, I do have one suggestion: Please avoid starting anymore until this trend has gone down. Because not only will you not get a lot of entries as you want, but a lot of people who want to enter-won't, when if you waited, they could have entered later. Now, you can still do whatever you want--I'm not controlling you, just please, think about this.

Another thing, is just to advertise and agree with Anha's psa - this is meant to be a safe space, because she talks about a topic I was going to hit. But she does it so perfectly that me reiterating would be pointless.

Third, yet still equally important if not more, is plagiarism. This is a problem I know Dmoral13 faced (with her works, she didn't do it) and the contrarian feared so she removed her pieces. This account, Writers of the World, struggled with it ourselves (our work, again, we didn't do it). I'm sure others have struggled with this, but they are unknown to me. Anyway, some writers lately have been taking ideas, concepts, and formatting (all at once) so unique and using it for their pieces. Please STOP this. It does go noticed and simply causes anger, annoyance/irritation, and debates/mini-arguments. If you love their idea so much, comment on the piece and ask/talk about it with them. (crow_e had a prompt for his contest that focused on this idea!). If they say 'no', be respectful enough not to publish anything. If they say 'yes', still-out of respect-give them credit in the footnotes (Link their user or the piece of inspiration or something). It's really simple just to ask, "Hey, I loved this piece! Can I...". Now, I will not call anyone out, for both respect purposes and I truly do not wish to be mean, so to everyone--please be careful & respectful. Also, check out, Plagiarism, Citations, and Other Fun Things You May Have Forgotten in English Class by poetri!

Here's another advertising and agree piece, Just An Important Note On LGBT+ Rights/Discrimination! Republished. by the contrarian. Discrimination against any person, even green aliens from out space, is not okay in my book. So this adds to the constant idea I've been saying in this piece: respect.

Lastly, this account does A LOT for you writers, whether you notice it or not. And I know this might not be humble, but it is blunt. So please, be patient & considerate with us. I started this account to help others, not to be everyone's servant. But lately, we've been hit with disrespect, impatience, and slight anger. I cannot tolerate this much longer. I know it isn't everyone, but this is a case where "a few people can ruin it for the whole class". So I'm sorry to say but if this continues, I'm deactivating this account. I have a life outside WTW, I have a website I'm running, I have a contest page that constantly needs updating, I have monthly Must Reads!! that need attending. And as much as I enjoy doing all of that (which I really do-honest), it can still be a lot. So when certain people cry for me to do more, work harder, or be "faster" is rude. Plain and simple. Now, please don't go looking for these people or anything, just read this and move on. People will know if this is for them or not, so leave it at that. Just be more mindful, please.

Feel free to check out these pieces--(but they are helping spread more messages)
a thing that frustrates me (and one that frustrates others). writer ad/vice. by the_enclave 
an overall message to the write the world community (shout-outs, tips, how i think the community could improve) by r|A|i|N
advice no one asked for by N. 
Now, I'm not telling anyone how to live, act, or what to say--everyone's there own person, so do what you want. But please, keep this in mind.

Thank you for all that you do! Your hardwork is truly appreciated! :)

• Sanjana Sunilkumar

Lots of thanks from all of us here in WtW.

• ajamwal

thank you so much for this account, even though i haven't been that active, i still find your account to be super helpful. i didn't know you had a website/blog, but i just checked it out and it is amazing. just ignore those who disrespect, just a waste of your time and energy,

Thanks so much,you are very appreciated <3

• poetri

reply: Those links are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

we don't deserve how kind and generous the people that run this account are, quite honestly. thank you for everything, and please, please take a break if you need to. <3

• joella

thank you so much!! wtw appreciates you immensely.

• Brielle P. Chor

Thank you for writing this. You really should take a well-deserved break. However, such things will be expected when you start something to help others. The world isn't all rainbows and sunshine, and when you give people a little bit of help, some may unwittingly choose to take advantage of it, whether intentionally or not. Therefore, my advice is (if willingly heard) that you simply ignore it. Helping others is important (and comforting to note), and there must have been a definite reason for your starting this account, but sometimes when we cannot help it, the only other option is to turn away, and focus on why we wanted to do this again. If you should choose to deactivate, I would definitely support you (to be honest, I can't stand it when people grow entitled, which is why I try to be grateful for even the smallest things). Please take a break, and look after yourself. You never did owe anyone anything on this site, and by creating this account, it should be us communicating our gratitude for you. I'm quite new to this site, but I think that you have done a lot for this community of young writers, so don't be too hard on yourself. On a somewhat lighter note, I also agree that the contest mob is absolutely insane. I wonder when this site started to change, but at least, there will still be the veterans to faintly remind us of what Write the World used to be.

Thank you once again for all your efforts. Please rest well:)

this is a brilliant compilation of everything that's needed addressing in the past few weeks. you're an absolute life saver - be blunt!! you do so bloody much for this community, and you deserve a break, but then i'm afraid that whole plagiarism issue would flare up again by impatient members of this community who don't value you to the extent which they should. if you choose to deactivate, i'll stand behind you all the way. it can't be said that you didn't warn them.

• black_and_red_ink

It's weird to me that Write the World doesn't have a discussion forum like most other writing sites do. It would be great to have a place where we can post things like contest info, Q&As, and general reflection pieces on the site without it getting mixed up with all the other posts.

Okay! Yeah, there is like a contest mob out there.

Thank you for saying this!! I appreciate you so much.

• jaii

yes yes yes. wholeheartedly agree with everything.
    honestly, after all this plagiarism stuff, i think i may begin to be a bit more wary myself. this is ridiculous.

• Samina

Hey, it is very sweet of you for doing so much for this community. You are a blessing to us. Thanks a billion!

• mia_:)

Thank you so much! I've also noticed an explosion in contests, and though I joined in the few weeks before quarantine, I felt the shift too. I want to thank you so much for running this account! I'm sorry if I was guilty of any of this and didn't realize it. You do so much for the community and I really appreciate it! <3<3<3

• asta

honestly, it's so nice of you to use your time and energy to help us, i can't imagine how much time it takes to run this. thank you so much!

<3 thank you for your hard work.

(i like the addition of poetri’s piece) and i’ll say this again: thank you thank you thank you! you’re very loved for all that you do!