Emi

Child of God
American
Patriot
Diecisiete
Ravenclaw
Rider of the Rohirrim
Narnian
Prydain
District 12
Chef
Gardener
Writer
Artist
Seamstress
Homeschooler
Romantic
Nerd
Archer
Rifler

"And even when you think you're finished, it's not over yet," for KING & COUNTRY, "It's not Over yet"
"All of my dirt, all of my shame drowned in the streams that've made me born again," Jordan Feliz, "The River."
"Scars come with livin,' you are not alone," TobyMac, "Scars (Come With Livin')"
"I might bend but I won't break, I'll fight the elements," TobyMac "The Elements."
"Stand tall but above it all, fix my eyes on You," for KING & COUNTRY, "Fix My Eyes"
"Run wild, live free, love strong, you and me," for KING & COUNTRY "Run Wild."
"One by one we will call for a ceasefire...one by one, reaching out to our enemies" for KING & COUNTRY, "Ceasefire."
Currently reading Dubliners by James Joyce

Reunions

7
    The two of them sat there, awkwardly, as if they didn't know what to say to each other. They didn't. The boy, half-drowning in a sweatshirt, thumbs fidgeting to tap out texts on a screen, faced the man, whose button-up shirt looked stiff and unwelcoming in its perfect pressed condition.
    The man cleared his throat, taking a sip of coffee as he looked out into the busy New York sidewalk.
    The boy looked like he wanted to speak, but he only slumped back, tapping his empty coffee cup aimlessly. His eyes didn't meet his father's.
    "We need to talk," the man said. "Gabriel, why did you do it?"
    "I did it because I don't give a rip what you think," he snorted.
    "Well, I can tell that," said the man. "You don't give a rip to what anyone things."
    "You don't care anyway..."
    "What makes you think that?" the man said.
      "Everything!" Gabriel exploded. "You harp on my grades, you insult my friends, you hate everything I love, and you treat me like I'm some stupid hormonal teenager!"
    "Well, now, you're certainly acting like it!" his father snapped. "You know what I think when you show up unrepentant and blaming me for all your problems? Reckless hormonal teenager!"
    "You are the cause of all my problems!" Gabriel retorted.
    His father froze. He remembered long office days, where he came home irritable and unpleasant to everyone. He remembered his son's pleading face as he begged him to come to one—just one—sports event or school presentation. He remembered the family nights he'd missed due to late nights, and not seeing Gabriel's face in more than a week.
    Gabriel remembered this too, but he also remembered other times. His father teaching him how to throw a football, taking him to the park, buying him ice cream on the sly. His father painstakingly saving every penny so he could someday go to college if he wished, and then pleading with him to get good grades so it would be worth it all. And what had he done? Nothing but gripe and talk poorly of the man who had given him life, the man who cared for him.
    "I'm sorry," they both said at the same time, and Gabriel felt a tear drip from his face.
    "I was stupid, Dad," he burst out. "Immature, reckless, whatever you said. I–it's my own fault if I'm failing school, you try so hard to keep me going, and I waste it all. You're too good of a father."
    "No, Gabriel," his dad replied. "I need to be there. Be present in your life—that's a good father. I try, but I'm always failing you and your mother. Because even if I can provide for you fiscally, I need to remember to provide for you emotionally."
    "I guess we're even then," said Gabriel, cracking a smile. He stepped around the table and embraced his father, something he hadn't done in a very long time.
    And his father hugged him back.

500 words

• The Ravenclaw Dragon

Oh! This is so good! Short and sweet, it's a great and creative piece. Keep on writing!

• JustAnotherDarling

part of this felt like you wrote about My life lol and it was sweet to see both father and son's perspectives coming together :)
    Re: honestly, by my logic, every act is selfish, but i decided to point out that writing is especially selfish...for even if we write for others...we write because we expect a reaction from them ;)

Re: thank you! per request of stone of jade, i'm publishing the next part, just for fun. i have quite a bit more, but it's so hard to whittle it down to 1000 words... and the formatting was fairly important to the story, and that gets removed when i publish here.

• Bhavya's Treasure

Re: Thank you, Emi! Yeah, I'd imagined the trees as witches only and their leaves were the cauldrons. XD

awww i loved how you were able to fit so much emotion and story into this short piece and still give it a circular ending. <3

• Tushar Mandhan

'hormonal teen' we have been there, at some point. also i loved ur quote in message to reader, the one that is ur own.

• bookmagic

Re: thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even notice.

Re: Yep I'm definitely not sick like that anymore. I feel like maybe this is a regional thing about ginger ale because I think Beth was saying something similar about it as you were, but I've never heard anything about it being helpful lol. I usually drink mint tea, but that's an Arab thing (That generally helps a little, but definitely not when it's as severe as it was before I wrote that. When it gets that painful there's nothing to do but wait it out). Oh, and I'm assuming ginger ale has sugar anyway, and I can't have that rn.

Chapter 20 is out for Traitors and Rebels!

• Ree Sethu

Replying: Thank you ,Emi! <3