journal.scribbles

Asian American
INTP-T

if i'm not writing, please force me to. if i'm writing, please yell at me to do my homework. it's the only way i'll ever get anything done.

May or may not be active during any given time in November because of school and NaNoWriMo (let's be buddies there! I'm these_scribbles)

“The road to hell is paved with adverbs.”
—Stephen King
(...welp. I guess I'm going to hell.)

“The most beautiful things are those that madness prompts and reason writes."
—Andre Gide

“Literature is strewn with the wreckage of men who have minded beyond reason the opinions of others.”
—Virginia Woolfe

Currently obsessed with folk indie music, TED talks, and the Tinker Bell movies (they're better than you remember)

Always obsessed with too many book fandoms to list, Hamilton, intellectual debates, and philosophical poetry

Congrats on having the patience to scroll this far.

For the French Fries #dramatize

12
I paused mid-chew as my mind settled on a decision. I had to do it. I had no other choice. I couldn’t keep going on like this. There was only one way to resolve the issue. I swallowed. My mouth was dry. Legs trembling from the effort, I stood. Then my legs stopped trembling. Because I wasn’t that weak anyway. Just. Lazy. 

I shook my head. No, I wouldn’t let myself think that way. I wouldn’t allow my thoughts to drag me into an endless, dark pit of horrible self pity. I needed to finish what I started. I couldn’t return to my french fries empty-handed. I couldn’t bear my look of disappointment and despair in the mirror anymore. I had to do it for them, but I also needed to do this for myself. 

I took one step. And then I took another. I forced myself to continue the entire distance to the object. It was large, taller than I was, and was covered in clips holding up pictures drawn in my childhood. My eyes filled with tears. I gently brushed a sketch with my hand, scarred by a paper cut from the previous day. Then I took in a sharp breath. I stepped back.

This large, shiny object had a force. The rest of the world had defined it as magnetism, but I knew better. It had defied gravity, stolen embarrassing snapshots of my past, and would win any day in a battle against my willpower. And I needed to face this terrible force to reach the prize of my struggles. 

Suddenly, decisively, I lunged forward. I grabbed the handle to the object. Echoes of my doubts snaked into my mind. You can’t do this. You’re no match for the dreaded Refrigerator. I ignored them, pulling open the door. 

I immediately slammed it shut again. I waited until my panicked breaths slowed and until I accepted this wasted chance at victory. In my hurry, I had pulled open the icy door to the Freezer. I shuddered.

Before I lost my confidence, I cautiously opened the other door. A wave of cool air hit me, sending me flying backward three entire millimeters. My fingers blundered through the shelves, avoiding slimy jars of expired food. I saw a flash of red as I bumped a bin of margarine out of the way. I inhaled sharply. Without thinking, I grabbed the bottle of ketchup. I staggered back to my french fries, leaving the Refrigerator door swinging closed. 

I squirted a generous helping of ketchup next to my fries. I dipped one in and placed it in my mouth. The sweet and tangy paste complemented the salty and starchy potato so well. My journey had been worth it. 

But with a sinking heart, I knew it wasn’t over. The french fries were missing something else. 

I needed to return to the Refrigerator. I needed to get mustard.
For Doodleninja’s user contest, Prompt 1. 

• Anlee

THIS IS SO FUNNY XD ok im dying from laughter

• Doodleninja

hello again! contest results are up!!!

• mia_:)

Haha, this is so funny! Plot twist! You made something so normal extremely dramatic! Great job!

This is awesome! =) Caught me off guard at the end but it just made me laugh!

• Karma's_Coming

Oh my god. I just read the story. I did not see that coming. That is absolute gold.

• Karma's_Coming

Replying: I’ve seen that! I don’t know if it’s true or not but regardless, those pictures scare the crap out of me. I’ve never been stung before but my oh my. That looks to be on a different level man. But at least the weathers holding up so far. I mean, yeah we’re getting a bunch of storms. But we were in the 80s today where I’m at. That is quite toasty.

• Doodleninja

I love how you capitalized the names of the Refrigerator and the Freezer XD
    this was awesome!! Thanks so much for entering my contest!

This is perfection