sunny.v

she/her | asian
wtw community’s official older sister
running off into the sunset with circe
est. april 27, 2020

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
satire sorceress, lady knight

she clasps peonies, allure, & love

i’m a bird! boogie woogie. when the doctor first told me what happened to me before my surgery, i was already thinking of this. in the months during my recovery, i’m just now emotionally stable enough to really put it out there. nyehehe.

wings, once broken, eternally clipped

21
it’s just so comical, isn’t it, how easily a bird’s wing will break

take those feathers between your fingers, ignore how hope is pressed between the tufts, and tighten until the ligaments will snap
desperation is a fluttering thing, and it nearly shoved me out of mother’s nest before i properly learned to fly
and i was aching to soar, i was! i was a starling flirting with the wind, and the sky was my wingman

it’s just so comical, isn’t it, how easily a dream never quite gets to roost

my bones are hollow; they barely made a sound when they were crushed
ironically, they groaned a funeral song when i became a flightless thing, a lifeless taxidermy trophy

and wounds will heal, and feathers will regrow, but a bird once broken is a bird that never flies quite as high
a bird once broken never soars quite the same, quite so prettily in the sky
and a bird once broken always, always, in the end, kisses the world of flight, of the sun and the morning, of the wind and the glory, that they used to love, that they used to know, that they will never taste again—goodbye
-birds have hollow bones for flight! or so i’ve heard. who knows? the government lies to us on the daily. *eyes pigeons*
-i tore my ACL some time ago. i’m now recovering, and i won’t be able to continue playing soccer for a while. what i know, though, is that most players aren’t ever quite the same level as they were before their injuries. took me a while to come to terms with that.

• May 27, 2020 - 10:14am (Now Viewing)

if you want a visual of this piece check out my ig! : https://bit.ly/2BPfjrS

• sun_is_still_shining

Replying: Yessss!!!! Sun buddies! That is very cool:)

• sun_is_still_shining

This is so beautiful! I love the metaphors, and you have such raw emotion- it's amazing. You're a great writer!!:)
    Reply: Oh why thank you lol

I love the symbolism in this...I feel like it really makes me think of lost freedom, how the bird lost its ability to fly. I'm sorry you hurt yourself! I hope you get better and are able to perform at (or above!) your level of abilities soon.

• inkandstars

first off
    beautiful
    second off
    my mom recently had acl/mcl/miniscus surgery, i know how much that sucks. sorryy!! she has recovered and is running now, so there is hope for you

• Achref Bennani

Hello! I liked your piece. Honestly I don't play soccer and I don't even like it; but I love how you wrote about your injury using the bird's wing metaphor. I hope you get better soon :)

• delete

I love this run-on metaphor that you create here, Sunny! You can possibly link the idea of the bird with the broken wing with trauma or mental scars, how when someone does something bad to us or says something hurtful to us, we never forget it and even if we heal, something will always change to not make the wings fly quite the same way. You’re such a talented writer and just reading this piece was so emotive and would do well for being spoken, I could just picture a character in a play saying this as a soliloquy or monologue to represent their inner turmoil.
    P.S. I know we don’t know each other well but I am sorry for your injury, and I can see that contextually this could have inspired this piece. It would be unrealistic tor me to say I hope you get to play soccer soon, but I hope you heal well and get to know your leg again, so that you can be back to kick soccer’s butt in the future! ;)

This gorgeous, I love your use of metaphorical language. I'm sorry you tore your ACL, and I'm glad you're recovering, I bet it's hard adjusting. <3

• Tomb of Jade (#spookified)

Even tho this has such a mournful tone, the way you write it makes it a little hopeful too. I absolutely love the metaphor of the bird flying--it fits so well I can't even pick a favorite line.

• joella

reply: wtw emailed me and said that it was the line about drinking lighter fluid...they thought I meant it literally...:/

• And_The_Stars_Laughed

Wow, I love this piece so much!! Your writing never ceases to amaze me, and the description here is so vivid!!! I love love love the lines "and wounds will heal, and feathers will regrow, but a bird once broken is a bird that / never flies quite as high /
    a bird once broken never soars quite the same, quite so prettily in the sky." I agree with @white mountains, this metaphor is incredible!!

I play soccer myself and I can only imagine how much it would stink to tear your ACL, I hope you feel better and are able to play again soon!!! <3

• mia_:)

Just, wow! I totally agree with jo and chrys. I don't know how else to put it! WOW! Stay strong and hang in there! You're amazing! *regifts you some of your donuts as a peace offering* <3<3<3 *dragon finger dance*

• joella

your writing. is incredible.
    I feel like chrys said it better than I could've but wow! the bittersweet tone you utilize here really brings your struggle to life...this metaphor is everything.
    tearing your ACL sucks, especially for an athletic person. you're strong <3

i'm glad you're feeling better, emotionally at least. :).
    that first line though. the narrator's voice completely blew me away and it was carried through gorgeously through the rest of the piece.
    the way the first stanza shifted (?) in tone around midway before being abruptly cut down (much like the bird) by the 2nd line.
    that entire 3rd paragraph??? what???? this?????? favorite lines definitely.
    and that last paragraph (stanza... thing....) just tied it up so well with the overarching themes of the whole piece! (dunno if the rhyming scheme was intentional but it was brilliant)
    i love this so much. i feel like i just can't appreciate the way you write enough.
    btw, if you're annoyed by that big letter at the beginning, just hit enter before you type out a piece :).