birthdaycandles

Ireland

Just an 18 yr old aspiring to be something like a living, walking (and writing) hug.

Pfp is art by Vanessa Stockard <3

Things close to my heart:
God, my family + climate change

-Joined Sept 2019, active since March 2020-
prev. AutumnRain

"In the end I think you're gonna wish you loved yourself a lot more, and craved love from everybody else a lot less."
- a song I can't remember the name of

Current reads...
- Shatter Me

A friendly reminder that your number of published pieces doesn’t define you as a writer. Some people work more quickly than others, and for some it takes time. Work at your own pace, you’re doing great.

13 things that make me remarkably happy

PROMPT: Enumeration

23

1. Receiving a letter in the post
It makes me feel kind of important to have my name written with “Miss” in front of it. I hope letters are still such a novelty when I am older.

2. The smell of a new book
Flicking through the pages and inhaling the woody scent of a new book, I can’t help but smile. No other smell like it in the world.

3. Walking along a beach
Shoes, or barefoot is fine too. There’s something so healing about being next to such a vast body of water and walking, thinking, listening, just being there.

4. Ice cream and jelly
Okay but it just hits different when you're not eating it in a hospital. Don't call me childish, this will forever be a legendary food combo, for all ages.

5. Looking up at a starry sky
A starry sky on a clear night makes me wonder of future opportunities and dreams. I could look at it for hours, and still wouldn't be bored. It makes me love the world, and what lies beyond it.

6. Finishing the last sentence of an essay/any piece of writing
This should definitely resonate with a lot of you on this site, considering we're all writers. You've got to admit the satisfaction you feel when you put that final period to a piece you've put so much of your heart and soul into. It's quite amazing.

7. Blowing out birthday candles
"Make a wish!" This is definitely one of the best feelings in the world, even though everyone gathered round is singing happy birthday out of tune, something about it feels a lot like magic.

8. Watering plants
Maybe it might be considered boring to some people, but I kind of consider myself as a bit of a plant mother so it's not that boring to me. I have lots of plants I've grown including an aloe Vera, peppers, beetroot and green chillies all growing on my windowsill in plant pots. I am very proud of them and water them everyday. It's so rewarding watching them grow!

9. Sleeping in a bed with freshly changed sheets
I never have as good a night's sleep as the first night I sleep with freshly changed bed sheets. Even though I kind of have to wrestle the duvet to get the cover on properly, it is so worth it for a perfect night's sleep!

10. Listening to rain falling on the roof
Rain on the roof makes me feel at home, well the sound of it does. I am so lucky to have a roof over my head protecting me from the stormy weather.

11. Hugs
A good tight hug. You can use them for multiple purposes really; to say you're sorry, to show someone you care about them, to let someone know that everything will be okay. 

12. A good cup of tea
Introducing the all not-new cure for almost any bad feelings: tea. Biscuits sold separately. Batteries not included. Terms and conditions don't matter.

13. Cake
Lol were you expecting an explanation for this one?
What little things make you happy? 

• Jasmine khawar

It put a smile on my face, I love these things, I felt so positive and happy reading this, this is such a joyful piece.
    And I love the smell of new books the most! :)

• dovetrees

this is gorgeous! i had a smile on my face while reading it, though i know this was from may, i'm glad i stumbled across it! the point about the letters is so true, i know people who couldn't care less about receiving them! number 5 is also unbelievably true, the fact that constellations just so happen to exist astounds me every night!

I love most of these! Especially plants...I am so in love with plants. Ice cream and jelly though...hey, I'll try it. Tea's okay, too, but I'm your typical American coffee drinker.

• sophiethesinger

Yesssss CAKE!!!!!!And yess the smell of a new book is literally amazing!

• ~wildflower~

I agree with literally everything you said. Yeah, I’m that weird person in the corner of a bookstore who’s not reading the books but smelling them... and oh, I can’t even begin to describe the feeling of new sheets in a bed *chefs kiss*. Letters are the best!! Thanks for this uplifting piece :)
    (P.S I only clicked on your profile because I completely loved your profile pic and username! (The month autumn, soft rain and flowers are three of the best, natural things in life.) But I’m so glad I did because reading this made me so happy!

• lindsmariebuck

This is amazing and I agree with almost everything but ice cream and jelly. That just seems like a weird combo. And I've never really liked tea. But number 1 getting a letter is always so amazing and I love it.

• ect.13

Love this! I completely agree :)

• ElsaRee

Wow!!! This is amazing!

also, about the polaroid picture thing, thanks so much!
    honestly, was undecided about the title, and you def helped <3

Replying:awe thanks so much.Im glad you're back<3

Replying: yay!!! Girl I'm so glad you're back!
    and thank you for your words of encouragement, they mean so much, I'm so happy to have found a friend in you here <3

OH MY GOSH YOURE BACK!!!!

i wrote about you in my appreciation post!: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/171791/version/339942

• joella

i just saw your message box and have to say, i completely understand you. your presence is definitely missed already and i can't praise your talent enough, no matter your vote count. take your time <3 i miss you!!

I love this list so much! It's the little things that we value the most.
    I'm so sorry that you feel like writing is a chore. I can totally relate to the recognition aspect of that. Please do take this break, it's incredibly important for your mental health. And come back whenever you feel ready, my friend :)

• .amelia.

And, I'm so glad you're taking a break. Checking notifications can get horribly frustrating at times, and not winning a comp can get quite demoralising at times. So take however much time you need and don't stress yourself too much. Based on experience, it really improved my writing standard. :)

.amelia.

• .amelia.

This is so aesthetic. One thing for me would be to lie on my bed, typing out stories around 1 to 3 am. No one will interrupt and no one expects anything out of me then. :)

btw results are out!

• ava09 (angels, auroras and sad prose #holidayvibes)

I agree with all of these...getting something in the mail is the bestttt, new books (and old ones - just books in general) smell so good and rain is the best sound (thunderstorms and rain help me sleep :) ) and just yes to them all lol.

dearbhlá (thank you for telling me your name, by the way. it’s lovely.) i’m so sad to see that you’re not feeling well! i just now saw your message box, and i’m so sorry that you feel like you have to take a break. i hope things get better, and you’re very very missed! i know that you can get through this, and hopefully, writing will bring you joy again. i truly love your writing, and i can’t wait to see you when you come back. best wishes!! stay amazing, alright?

Replying: No, no, I'm sorry. I was just frustrated, and what you said shouldn't have triggered more of it, but it did, and I shouldn't have taken it out on you.

Replying: I really appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not joking when I say that I literally can't. My brain won't let me focus enough to do schoolwork, and I'm too exhausted to even participate in a ZOOM rehearsal sometimes. So while I thank you for trying to encourage me, saying that I can do anything if I put my mind to it just sounds like I'm not working hard enough.

This is so sweet and a little magical in its own way! How you described your list made me smile as I read. I feel the same way about night skies and rain!!