Ibex

as in Presbyterian Church in America
Female
Writer
Novelist
Poet!
Reader
Ambivert or something
Band nerd + Drum Major
Planet Earth nerd
etc, etc
Joined September 10, 2019

I would LOVE some peer reviews! I haven't edited this yet, and could use your feedback. Thanks!

Rescue

1
She dances in the shadows of the forest, accompanied by the melodies of rustling leaves and whispering sparrows. She doesn’t dare step into the open fields; she fears the light. Instead, she finds solace in the darkness, a secret haven. Here, she dances free.

The dragon watches her from its cave, smiling grimly. The longer she stays in the dark, the more blind she will become. When she can no longer see and gropes around in the darkness for a shred of hope, the dragon will spring upon her. For her, there can be no escape. It spreads its wings over her little patch of forest, taunting the world, Come, try to rescue her.

It laughs, knowing there are none who can.

And yet, the dragon’s knowledge fails it. There is another who sees her in her pitiful state, knows she dances in the night and fears the morning. He knows the dragon waits for her to fall so it might destroy her existence. He descends the mountain, enters the valley, and walks through the shadows to find her.

She is blind. She is dying. She cannot see her own hand in front of her face, much less the dragon circling overhead, a ravenous vulture waiting to devour her in savage flame.

And yet, there is the one who came to find her. He stands between her and the seething dragon, the only thing between her and certain death.

Blood must be shed. The dragon smiles and dares this brave soul to conquer it. The battle begins, dragon against rescuer. Meanwhile, she lies dying.

The dragon strikes with fangs laced with venom. Its foe stumbles and falls.

The dragon laughs. Its laughter rises to the sky as blood seeps forth from the lifeless body on the ground. It approaches its next victim, the girl groping helplessly in the darkness. Venom drips from its mouth.

Suddenly, the forest comes alive with a flash of light so great that the dragon must shield its eyes. This is no ordinary man who came to rescue the dying girl; no, this is the king who left his palace behind to save her. She ran from him to hide in the shadows, but he has come to bring her home. And he doesn’t fear the dragon.

He delivers the final blow, and the dragon falls, defeated. He kneels by her side, takes her hand. Suddenly, she isn’t blind anymore. She looks up at him and smiles. Raising her to her feet, he leads her out of the forest and into the light.

This is so good! It reminds me of a series I read years ago. I can't remember what it's called, but it has a character called Gaul the Shepherd and there's an arrogant flying horse.