Anne Blackwood

16
Theatre kid
Singer (soprano)
Poet
Twin (fraternal)
Spoonie
Disfusive
Highly Sensitive Person
Living oxymoron
Kindness Krusader: Blueberry cotton candy
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

For everyone who's sat on a tree branch and thought for a while
Or someone who wanted to

Mom to FantasyOtter12, lochnessie, mindfruit, Rohan's Defender, & all
Sis to happy butterfly
birthdaycandles & happygiggles are my apple juice Jesus sisters

Dating Kristoff? He's got a reindeer, good sense of self... He's got it all.

My profile picture is my "personal crest" I designed and commissioned.

keepsunnyaroundfoundation.cake.org (credit: happy butterfly)

"I was born singing. Most babies cry. I sang an aria."
~ Fairest (book) by Gail Carson Levine

Anxiety must-reads:
https://bit.ly/2YUyome
https://bit.ly/2TsNYSa
And pray. That's the only reason I'm free now.

Dear Future Self #cherry

10
Dear Future Self,

I remember writing that phrase a lot in my journals from 8th grade. Funny, I'm feeling nostalgic writing a letter that will be completely nostalgic when I read it in this in the future.
Anyway, when you (me) read the year that this was written, you're probably going to think about COVID-19. Is it shallow that I think more about my own “mystery disease”, friends, and concerns for the future more than I think about the global pandemic? I can’t tell if it’s a coping technique (escapism?) or if I’m just that shallow. I worry about everyone a lot, but it’s so draining. Not that focusing on my individual issues isn’t exhausting, but at least I’m not taking on everyone else’s panic as my own.

The reason I'm saying "you" instead of "I" is because I know I'll be so different in the future. Right now I'm listening to "The Man I Wanna Be" by Jake Scott (who you should rediscover ASAP), and it's making me hope that I understand a little more about life in the future. I want you to be able to look back at me and wish I'd known what you know. Jake just came out with a new song called Learning To Love You, and I’ve listened to it about a hundred times. If I ever get married, I want to sing it at my wedding.

My favorite musical artists I listen to are Antonio Cipriano, Jake Scott, Sara Bareilles, Alec Benjamin, Ben Platt, Kelsea Ballerini, and my friend Brooke Morgado. I wonder how many of those names you remember. I hope you're still friendly with Brooke and that she is chasing her dreams.
In January, I showed The Campbell's Kid my poem Poetry Is, and he all but forced me to join Write the World, the teen writing program I’m sure you remember. It has been so foundational in my writing journey. I’ve improved so much since I joined, and I got to know WhispersOfGray, Two Heartbeats and so many others from it.

I'm in tenth grade by the way. That must bring on a whole bout of memories. I got a mystery disease in the fall, right as my first job at Bradford's Farm and Fun was ending, my first dog died (remember how her name was spelled Holley instead of Holly?), Mom fought and beat cancer, Eric and I became better friends, the mystery disease was healed, I joined Write the World, I found out I'm sensitive to every food on the planet, I started working out, the mystery disease came back in a slightly different way (in March), and that sent me to the ER (where I got tested for COVID-19 [negative]).

I really enjoyed my drama class experience this year, despite it being so different from any other drama class I’ve been a part of. Mrs. Brocks is much more relaxed than my previous directors, which took some getting used to, but she’s amazing at motivating the class, and I love her. I got to know Mary and Opal, and being a narrator with Chase was very fun. The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon was a hilarious show, and even though I was terrified, it ended up being a fairly smooth run (aside from Scott almost dropping/killing Alex in front of a live audience).

Anyway, how are you? I'm guessing you've figured out your career by now. Maybe you could time travel and tell me so I can stop stressing out. And also tell me if this sickness makes me fail tenth grade since my foggy brain won't let me do most homework. Except I might not want to know the answer to that. Oh well.

Well, I can't think of anything else to say.

Your past self,

Anne Blackwood
P. S. I changed all the names except for Brooke's because she is amazingly talented and everyone should go check out her Instagram, Brooke.morgado. I promise you won't regret it; her original songs are beautiful.

I love how you are so honest and yet really sweet in this entire piece. That's so cool that you have a friend who sings!

• The Campbell's Kid

Replying: <3 Thanks Buddy! You always know how to make me smile!

• mia_:)

Replying: Heck yeah! Huffleclaws for life!

• birthdaycandles

Aww Anne this is so sentimental, I hope your future self will look back and smile <3 Actually not I hope, I know you will look back and smile and appreciate all you've overcome! You are such a strong person clearly, and obviously a fantastic writer. I listen to Kelsea Ballerini sometimes also! My favourite song of hers is "la" it's about connecting to a place, especially in a city like L.A. where there are so many people that live there but you only hear about the ones living in Hollywood and starring in reality shows, YouTube and films, the "regular" people going unnoticed hence why she says "I've got a love and hate relationship with L.A" Anyways you should give it a listen, didn't mean to give an analogy of it oops ahaha. I also love Ben Platt singing the soundtrack of Dear Evan Hansen, which is ah just such an amazing soundtrack!

• joella

reply: lol! it's an unofficial term that combines "white" with "asian". basically, I'm american and korean. I should probably clarify that in my bio.

Replying: lol I know right? There's a reason why we're triplets! It's so cool to see how people you haven't even met are so similar to you! I just realised that the doritos thing came out wrong.I meant the dark blue packet I think it's like a chilli flavour lol

• happygiggles

I really like this piece, it really highlights that if you look closely, you can find a positive to every negative! I listen to Jake Scott too and find his music very relatable and calming! I hope your mum is doing better now and recovering with each day, I know how hard it can be, my own mother beat cancer this year too. I also hope that you're feeling better now too, don't feel guilty for worrying about your own problems, sometimes we all just need some time to focus on ourselves! (:

• mia_:)

Love this! Writing to your future self is such a good idea! Is this for a comp? If so, I have to try it! Also, about Padlet, I still haven't gotten a chance to ask about it, but will ASAP! :D <3

• A Certain Type of Decisive

I couldn't help but smile as I read this- I'm so soft for letters, no matter who they're to. This is so deeply personal and real (that's probably the prompt but I'll check that out later), I keep re-reading it. It's like a cross section of a universe, the layers of an existence. It's beautiful.

• Tushar Mandhan

I think it would help; to change title and without losing likes, comments-
    I know you know how to change title. So after clicking save title, go back and then reload.....wolah......the new title with all previous like and comments!
    P.S.- sorry for ''wolah' but I was watching this cookery show and couldn't resist imitating the chef......I thought it was funny