Anne Blackwood

16
Theatre kid
Singer (soprano)
Poet
Twin (fraternal)
Spoonie
Disfusive
Highly Sensitive Person
Living oxymoron
Kindness Krusader: Blueberry cotton candy
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

I keep forgetting to republish this! I wanted to let you all know that I emailed the author about this issue. She explained that the comments were made because the main character was insecure about having gained weight. She also apologized profusely and promised to keep my points in mind in future writings.

Not a (feminist) rant - READ MESSAGE BOARD

24
Okay. I don't generally align myself with the label "feminist", and I'm not going to really go into the details why not. But there's been something bothering me ever since I wrote the piece "Why do people think that skinny girls don't need comfort?" This discomfort was brought to mind when I was reading a book yesterday. It's a wonderful book with a great message, but something about this one part was somewhat upsetting.
The main character meets a thin girl, and she says to herself that the girl "looked as though she frequently dined on ice cubes and lettuce leaves." While this line is fairly funny, I couldn't ignore the thought plaguing my mind: Is that what people think about me? So many people are under the impression that skinny girls are completely secure in their body image, but it's just not true.
Another thing I noticed was the crazy lack of tips and tricks for thin girls. This seems like it's not a big deal, but when my feed is swamped with curvy girl hacks, it's frustrating that I can't find any videos to help me present myself in the best way. Googling skinny girl fashion hacks, I only found a few videos, and only one channel had them in English.
The worst part about this is we've come so far in the movement of body positivity, but there's a double standard. If someone said that a plus size girl looked like she dined on pasta and chocolate cake, that person would be mobbed, and rightfully so. But no one cares when it's a joke about a skinny girl.
"Because we're on the wrong end of the spectrum / to be embraced for who we are"

• July 28, 2020 - 8:29pm (Now Viewing)

• RemovedUser1

I’ve never thought about this before. I was typing in the “MINI” series, and this page came up, and it looked interesting. I’ve never been a skinny girl, always curvy. But, this makes sense. If you can be too big, why can’t you also be too small? Well, in their minds(those people who do this sort of thing) Thanks for this piece! And it’s also really cool that the author talked to you.

• Dmoral

replying~
    bw, u don't even know. metamorphosis the book made my SKIN CRAWL and it was a rough read. i'm a junior and that book made me uneasy reading it now, i cannot imagine reading it at a younger age than even now. not even last year or the year or..... *shivers*

• Dmoral

@Anne Blackwood
    no i don't live there, just visit my grandparents up there (in MN) on vacation

• Lights.B (#holidayvibes)

Wow! This is so powerful and soooooo true!!

• books4life

yasss!!! preach!

also thanks for representing the skknny gurl community.
    oh my gosh major deja vu...i swear ive commented

i swear i liked and commented on this before so idk what happened but anyway...
    also i can now kind of understand the author but still...its really cool that she replied to you,and that you even wrote to her!

• Currently Unavailable

So true!

replying: i had to look up semi-rustic to see what it looked like! i’m a boring suburb/city girl who only knows stuff like “modern/contemporary” house styles lol. but anyways for what’s it’s worth xO i don’t think you’re scary at all LOL it’s probably just the “untouchable” aspect

ah anne did you edit/republish this? i swear i’ve read this before and left a comment but? anyway i came here from sid’s appreciationpost LOL oooo Anne’s so scary *insert white eyed half blue faced :O emoji* (also, i was assigned “cottagecore vibes” which is absolutely gorgeous, but i feel like it fits you more than me lol. if you’ve never heard of it, u should check it out! either on google or Pinterest)

This is an important reminder that there are so many body types, and people can be (and often are) insecure in all of them. I really appreciate this; I'm not skinny, I have a pretty curvy body shape that most people would be proud of, yet I can really relate to still being insecure about it, like you are even though people might want to be skinny. I really love this piece!

• Tushar Mandhan

No why would someone judge your diet from your body? It's body type, nothing to do with diet but then yeah, there are some stupids. This googling thing, I tried during my freshman year in high school and ended up with nothing XD because I couldn't find a teen channel and men fashion channels were too much for me!

• joella

reply: thank you for your concern! I emailed wtw because I wasn't sure what they found problematic.

• Charisse Marison

YESSS! SPREAD THE MESSAGE!
    I can't relate though, I look more like the girl who dines on pasta and chocolate cake XD

• Chloe :) <3

I love the message in this!! It is so powerful and I loved to read it! Thank you for sharing and entering my contest!!

• birthdaycandles

This really opened my eyes, now that I think about it I definitely think you’re right that there is a clear lack of “tips and hack” videos for thinner girls. This was interesting to read. :)