HelpMe512

Artist, poet, writer
Ace
He/They
Transphobes stay out

"If I wait 'til my tomorrow comes, is the waiting all I've ever done?"
-Ben Platt

Check out my series "The Crown of Flowers"! Hopefully a novel in progress!

"It's alright, it's okay. You're not a monster just human and you made a few mistakes,"
-It's Alright by Mother Mother

A Walk Into Eden

7
High above the mountains, where the songbirds' songs are but a mere whisper, there is a place where woes can be forgotten. It's a simple place, a place of joy. There is a garden full of life, and a spring full of youth. Endless possibilities exist in this place. There is love to be found and laughter to be shared. This is the story of Eden, and the boy who found it.

Ben was only a child when he discovered Eden. Six years old, to be exact. He was playing in his back garden when lo and behold, a doorway opened. Why it opened in his garden, Ben didn't know, but he went through it nonetheless. It was a huge golden archway that spanned the entirety of his garden. When he went through, he found himself in a quiet place that teemed with flowers and plants.
    There was a huge fountain in the center of this place, and Ben ran up to the edge and peered into the water. It was crystal-clear, and he saw himself reflected in the gently rippling surface. He also saw two figures behind him - a man and a woman. The man was tall and skinny with skin as pale as snow. He wore a black cloak that draped over his spindly arms like a blanket. The woman was much more beautiful, with her olive-colored skin and honey hair that flowed over her shoulders like a waterfall of gold.
    "Hello," Ben said, turning around to face the pair. "Who're you?"
    The man smiled warmly. "I am Death, and this is Love. Would you like to walk with us?"
    Ben considered the man's offer for a moment. He recalled his mother's warning about Death. About how he had stolen Ben's father away. He knew Death was something to be feared.
    Ben shook his head at Death and turned to look at Love. He would walk with Love, for she was something he knew to be beautiful. A miracle, his mother had called her. "Can I walk with you?" he asked Love.
    Love did not smile like Death did. She raised one eyebrow and replied coldly, "Foolish boy, you cannot walk with Love without Death."
    Before Ben knew it, Eden melted away until Ben sat in his own garden. He waited for the golden door to reappear, but nothing happened. Disappointed, he went back in his house.

The very next year, on the same day, Ben saw the door appear once again. He went through it, and saw the familiar shapes of Love and Death waiting for him by the fountain.
    "Hello," Ben greeted, just as he had the first time.
    "Hello," Death said. "Care for a walk?"
    Ben stopped. Death was trying to trick him, for if he walked with Death, he would surely betray Ben and take him like he had taken his father. But he could not ask Love for a walk; he had learned his lesson last time. So he replied, "No, thank you. I'll sit by the fountain and watch the birds."
    Death and Love nodded and stood back. Ben laid back on the fountain and drifted off to sleep in the warm sunlight. When he woke up, he was back in his garden.

Every year after that, Ben visited Eden. Death and Love always offered him a walk, and Ben would always refuse. He longed to get Love alone without Death, but Death always seemed to be near.
    Many years later, when Ben was old and gray, he visited Eden one last time. He knew that if he didn't walk with Love now, he would never get the chance. He had lived his life without her in it, for fear that Death would take him away if he turned to look at Love.
    "Hello," Ben greeted as always.
    "Would you like to go for a walk?" Death asked.
    Ben looked to his side for Love, but she was nowhere to be found. "Where is Love?" he asked.
    Death smiled sadly. "You never got to walk with Love because you were too afraid of me. Love is never without me, but in the end, I always come alone."
    Ben's mouth opened, but no sound came out.
    Death stretched out a bony hand. "Walk with me," he commanded.
    And so they walked away from the fountain of life, alone.
For prompt 5 of lindsmariebuck's contest.
Some deep prose for you lol. If you couldn't tell, this is one huge metaphor.

• Villi V

I agree with the commenters below me <3

• Just_A_Memory

:O Gorgeous!

Woah this is amazing! That last bit really got me. Your descriptions give such imagery. *applause*

gahhh i love this metaphor!!!