Brandon Gregory

King Leopold

The novel King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild is about the beginning of King Leopold the second taking over the Congo. During the time period that King Leopold saw that the Congo was open he took the opportunity to go and take it. It is a first come first served situation were Leopold saw the Congo as a good thing. Leopold used the Congo to his advantage to make money and also to make Belgium a state. King Leopold used his highly intelligent brain to use people to do all of the dirty work in the Congo, while he stayed away from it and dealt with the other states that get tried to get in his way. One of the first people King Leopold used was Sir Henry Morton Stanley. He was sent to the Congo to explore to find the right place to settle and to start their evil deeds. In the text King Leopold never really visited the Congo he just told the people to do what ever it takes to get the job done. This is the point where everything started to get worse and worse. The jobs there started with elephant tusk and then went to rubber after a man made a re-inflatable tier. King Leopold found out that the Congo had a lot of rubber so he told his people to start making the Africans retrieve rubber so it can be sold and again he did not care how it was done. King Leopold was a man with a lot of power and he tricked lots of people with his lies about the Congo on what he said he would do but he did not do. In the book Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad he showed the world what the Congo was really like. Joseph Conrad want people to know of all the cruel things that were happening in the Congo he did not want any one to be left out. He made the people that were European look bad because of all the bad things that they had done to the Africans. Joseph was not happy with any of this he exposed so much on how bad people were treated in the Congo and it was like he wanted it to change. Human nature is different for every one in the world people may see them selves as the better person and not care about anyone else so they everyone else differently.