HelpMe512

Ace
He/Him
Transphobes stay out
Joined September 2019

"If I wait 'til my tomorrow comes, is the waiting all I've ever done?"
-Ben Platt

"It's alright, it's okay. You're not a monster just human and you made a few mistakes,"
-It's Alright by Mother Mother

"One page of the bible isn't worth a life,"
-The Village by Wrabel

"I thought you had me in prison this whole time, but I'm the one holding the key,"
-Intro III by NF

"A hundred bad days makes a hundred good stories and a hundred good stories makes me interesting at parties,"
-100 Bad Days by AJR

If you have any other song lyrics to put on the quote board shoot me a comment and I'll gladly put them on!

Evelyn

12

Evelyn. Joshua.
    Those names had been with Salem since the day she was born. One would kill her, and the other was supposedly her soulmate. Obviously, Joshua was the soulmate, so whenever Salem went to a new place, she would have her ears open for that name. Joshua, whoever he was, slowly became her obsession. She stalked all three of the Joshuas in her school on social media, but it quickly became clear they were not her soulmate. Each of their wrists read a name that wasn't hers.
    Most of Salem's friends had met their soulmates already. When Meghan excitedly called Salem up to tell her about Mark, Salem had smiled and said she was happy for her, but she always felt that twinge of disappointment. Meghan and Mark seemed so happy together, and Salem longed for Joshua.
    Her junior year, Salem switched schools. Her father had found a job as a pastor at a new church in California. Salem told her friends how much she would miss them, but she was secretly excited to go to a new place. Maybe in California, she would meet her Joshua.
    The moment she stepped into the school, she started asking around about Joshua. She made friends fairly quickly, and they would soon gossip about who Salem's soulmate could be. Salem's obsession became their obsession. There was one Joshua in their school, and it wasn't long before Salem was sent out to talk to him.
    He was in Salem's geometry class, and after the day's lecture, she took a deep breath and jogged up to him while he put books in his locker.
    He smiled slightly at her and waited for her to say something.
    Salem's breath caught in her throat and she anxiously fiddled with her bracelet. "Uh, hi. You're Joshua, right?" she started, her words a hurried mess.
    The boy raised an eyebrow, smirking. "Yeah," he confirmed.
    "Uh, well, I was just wondering…" Salem tripped over her words and had to take a second to cam herself. "Well, I have your name on my wrist and…"
    Joshua seemed to understand and his eyes lit up. "That's cool. What's your name?" he asked, as he rolled his sleeve up to look at the names printed just below the vein. As if he hadn't already memorized them.
    "Salem," she said in a breathless whisper.
    Joshua looked up at Salem and then back down at his wrist. He bit his lip and Salem deflated. "Sorry," he said to her, his tone sympathetic. "My names are Elizabeth and Tonia."
    "Oh," Salem couldn't hide the disappointment in her voice. "Sorry for wasting your time," she said meekly, turning away.
    Joshua opened his mouth to say something, but Salem didn't hear him. She ran to the bathroom to hide the pathetic tears that sprang from her eyes. It was stupid, she knew that, but she just wanted to find her love. Was that too much to ask?
    As if on cue, the bathroom door creaked open. Salem tried to stifle her sniffles, but the girl had probably already heard her. Great, even more embarrassing than crying in a bathroom over a soulmate was someone hearing you cry in the bathroom over a soulmate. Salem wiped her eyes and hurried out of the stall she was in, turning the sink on for some cold water to splash on her face.
    The girl who came in wasn't in a stall, though. She sat on the counter by the sinks, looking at Salem with concern. "You okay?" she asked. Her voice was soft and she seemed to genuinely care.
    Salem nodded, afraid that speaking would prompt more tears.
    "Is it about your soulmate?" the girl asked, sliding down from where she was perched. Her hair was cut short, and her eyes were a sea green. She wore a black leather jacket and baggy pants. To Salem, it was an odd fashion choice, but that was the last thing she should be thinking about.
    Salem looked at the girl in shock. "Um, yeah," she said against her better judgement.
    "I'm sorry," she said. "I know how that feels."
    Salem appraised the girl once more. She didn't look to want to do any harm, in fact, she looked caring. "Thanks," Salem said, sniffing.
    "Who's your names?" the girl asked, and then blushed at the seemingly intrusive question.
    Salem didn't mind. "Joshua," she said. And as an afterthought and added, "And Evelyn. My name's Salem."
    The girl's eyes widened in shock. "You're… Salem?" she stammered.
    Salem looked at her, confused. "Yeah. I can't seem to find a Joshua though," she lamented. "What about you?" she asked, suddenly curious.
    The girl sucked in a breath. "I'm… Evelyn. My names are…" she paused to read them from her wrist, as if in disbelief. "My names are Madeline… and… and Salem."
    Salem gasped. "You…? We…?" She struggled to get the words out.
    Evelyn looked at Salem, and then broke out into a grin. "I thought I'd never find you…"
    Salem's face stayed stoic. This couldn't be. Evelyn couldn't be her soulmate: she was a girl. Her parents had always told her that Joshua had to be her soulmate because it would be wrong if Evelyn was. This couldn't be happening.
    Evelyn's smile faltered when she saw Salem's expression. "What's wrong? We've finally done it! We've found each other!"
    Salem stared at Evelyn. "But… You can't be my soulmate," she finally managed to say. Instantly she cringed at how offensive that sounded.
    But Evelyn didn't bat an eye. Instead, her smile grew once more. "I know you are," she said, leaning in closer to Salem. "I just know. And I think you do too."
    Salem's face flushed red. Evelyn was right. She leaned into Evelyn and she knew that everything was going to be alright. "I do, but my parents will never let us," she said in a small voice.
    The two girls smiled and clasped their hands together. "Then we can tell them together," Evelyn said.
    Salem looked shyly at Evelyn and then wrapped her in an embrace. An embrace she had longed for since the day she could read those names. An embrace of two soulmates.
Prompt: Everyone is born with two names on their wrists: one is their soulmate, and the other their killer. They do not know which is which.

1

• Spade

You need to continue this! How does Joshua kill Salem? How do Salem's parents react to their daughter's soulmate being a girl? I need answers!

• Just_A_Memory

This is so cool! You could turn this into a mini series! x3

• Cheshire Cat

wow this kinda made me cry it's so good maybe u could write chapters about this

• CrazyNinjaKid

holy holy holy....

i have no words other then amazing, beautiful, fantastic...

(sorry im not very original)

just know i think this is incredible!

• Anjali Gandhi

Awesome concept!! Just loved the way you wrote it..

AHHH! I LOVE THIS CONCEPT! the soulmate or the one that kills you...man. they’re so cute! i love this! i love them!!

• mia_:)

AAAAAAAAHH! First of all, this is such a good prompt! Imagine living in that society, though! I loved how you used body language to convey emotions when Salem was talking. This is such a good story! I LOVE IT! The ending had me breathless (that didn't really make sense, but I think you know what I mean!) AMAZING JOB!!!!!! :D:D:D