Ahsan Nizaam

Sri Lanka

Just an ordinary guy who has no idea what is going around and confused as hell but trying to face everything head on with a brave face

Happiness is a choice and Strength comes from pain. What I am saying is 'If you choose to be happy in the face of pain, Strength is what follows'

Terrorism and Islam; Our side of the story #PrettyContest 3

7
The issue that is dominating in my mind nowadays is that how Muslims are seen. I know this is a weird issue and that it makes you uncomfortable just reading it. Nevertheless, I felt like wanting to share it with you.
 You can’t really charge a person for how they see or understand a person or religion. But I feel like they should know the both sides of the story. Yah! I’m going to talk about terrorism. I perfectly know that you know what terrorism is but now I’m just going to say the connection it has with Muslim or with Islam.
 But, first you should know what Islam means, translation wise; It means to submit to Allah or peace. I’m not going to explain it by telling the root words and all.
 Now you might have a question. Why does a religion with a translation of peace has its followers sided with violence and terrorism throughout the history?
 “History makes it clear however, that the legend of fanatical Muslims, sweeping through the world and forcing Islam at the point of sword is one of the most fantastically absurd myths that historians have repeated” Believe me these aren’t my words. They are from the historian De Lacy O’ Leary.
So, this being said we aren’t a wild bunch.
Now, we come to the word ‘Jihad’. Did it ring a bell? Most people even some Muslims think Jihad means ‘Holy War.’ But in truth Jihad means to struggle, strive or effort.
Prophet Mohammed (Pbuh) while returning from a war said “The greatest Jihad is to struggle with the insidious suggestions of one’s soul.” 
So where does the violence come in here? Violence is the last effort. I’ll explain it to you by an example.
Someone is irritating you, say pinching you. At first you’d tell them, then a harsh tone, a scolding, after that maybe the silent treatment. if they’re unrelenting you’d might walk away. If they come searching you and starting pinching you again a slap or a sound beating would suffice.
Likewise, the final measure would be the Military Jihad.
• Forcing people to convert to Islam
• Conquer other nations to colonise them
• Take territory for economic gain
• Settle disputes
• Demonstrate a leader’s power
A war with these intentions can’t be considered a Jihad. In truth it would actually be a sin.
The possible reasons for military Jihad are:
• Self-Defence
• Strengthening Islam
• Protecting Muslims against oppression, which could include overthrowing a tyrannical leader.
• Punishing an enemy who breaks an oath
• Putting right a wrong
So, now we come to how Islamophobias and terrorist says Islam means violence. They use a Qur’anic verse like a batch.
“Slay the enemy wherever you find them” (4:89)
But I don’t think this verse justifies any of their deeds or words. Because immediately on the next verse Allah commands.
“Thus, if they let you be, and do not make war with you, and offer you peace, god doesn’t allow you to harm them” (4:90)
These verses were sent during the time when Muslims were tortured beaten and killed. Allah merely tells them to defend themselves.
Most importantly killing a person except on some special conditions is completely forbidden.
“…If any of you slew a person-unless it be for murder or spreading mischief in the land- it would be as if he slew the whole people and if anyone saved a life it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people.” (5:32)
So, this is the issue which I’m putting forward more like our side of the story. Just a change of perspective would change a lot. No religion in the world spread violence, it only has compassion as its major element.
Words-630
I don't normally speak about it or worse write it. I felt like you were the most understanding people I knew. I have taken care as if not to offend anyone but if it does, it was unintentional and I'm sorry.

thank you for writing about this issue!

• Ella R. Baker

I really appreciate you writing this piece and having the courage to share a second perspective. I cannot express how much it matters to me that you have brought the topic of Islamaphobia to light. Where I live there is so much misinformation and hatred towards all kinds of people which makes me so sad.

• Currently Unavailable

Replying: lol. You should totally enroll in that! Also, thank you so much! You just gave me a fantastic idea for my next series. [blows a kiss]

• Currently Unavailable

Replying: Your prediction came true! The month hasn’t ended and I have 50 followers! Thank you for supporting me. I am so grateful. <3

• Chloe :) <3

Wow! There is a lot I can say about this piece! It is beautifully crafted and very powerful. I am not Islamic or Muslim however an Australian with Indian ancestry and have got to say this is super important! Terrorists are horrible people who do horrible things and any religion should never be associated with what they do!! Thank you for entering my contest and also for writing about something so important and a different issue - not very publicised!