inanutshell

she/her/illiterate

ok this was first posted a while back but idc I'm reposting it again bc it's still one of my most personal & favourite things I've written

3 ways i need to let go

PROMPT: Enumeration

9
3. ghosts inhabit this house, drifting along the concrete floors. we sway when the wind breaks in, shifting closer but never together. sometimes, i place my hand on the cracked walls of this house and feel for an absent pulse. sometimes, i wish we were a home. sometimes, i let the wind carry me along, coursing through the aged bitterness saturated in the air. my feet have never known solid ground, but I'm okay with that. just as long as i keep floating. the harshest reality only comes if i ever fall.

2. stories intertwine with each other in this chapter, with words and paragraphs so jumbled together my brain fails to make sense of any of it. flipping through the pages, i find a tale of loneliness creeping into my bed at night, and in another tale, he just wants to be my friend. i plow through the remains of the chapter, eager to leave these tales behind. i become so focused on what happens next, spending chapter after chapter looking over my shoulder for the skeletons in my closet. but loneliness follows me into this next chapter, and i can't seem to shake him off, so he infiltrates my heart, my mind, and my soul, until i'm nothing but bare-bones on the run. but if there's

1. thing i know for sure, it's that i can never keep running. at some point, i'll have to stop and face the things that have been haunting me, pulling at my every thread and begging to be heard. i'm not ready for the freefall, not ready for the silence that comes when you let the past catch up to you. all i've ever known is the chase, the thrill of escape, but i don't want to keep living like this. when the dust settles and i'm left to fend on my own, i want to know all the ways i need to let go.
the numbers of the list are meant to be read in conjunction with the first sentence!

1

• V-Rose

I just submitted a review! You should get it in a few days.

i see that repost...and i remember this piece! definitely one of my favorites of yours, too. this deserves to be in a magazine. ps thank u for the love on my pieces <3 i also switch between modest dressing and more flashy things so i for sure toe the line lol

• journal.scribbles

Wow, I love reading your writing so much! "i find a tale of loneliness creeping into my bed at night, and in another tale, he just wants to be my friend" gave me chills.

I love the present theme of something haunting. You really bring it out in the first paragraph, and then hint at it in the last.

" all i've ever known is the chase, the thrill of escape" that is tattoo worthy, and all in all, such a great line. i love your three ghosts concept so so much! well done! (ps glad my footnotes could make you laugh lol!)