Anne Blackwood

16
Poet
Singer
Theatre kid
Twin
Disabled (chronically ill)
Suspected autistic
ADHD
Highly Sensitive Person
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

Update (1/28/2021): This got a silver key in the Scholastics competition!!! Thank you so much to everyone who's ever interacted with me on this site. It sounds cheesy, but I literally would not be where I am without you all. And a huge shoutout to my best friend The Campbell's Kid. He never gave up on me, he made me join this site, and also HE WON TWO GOLD KEYS AND A SILVER KEY! As your mother, I tell all of you to shower him with love right now.

P. S. I got a few honorable mentions too.

Reviewed by Writers of the World
Reviewed by birthdaycandles

Who Looks Up (big news in message board!)

11

Lightning. One word from my dad and I am up and racing toward the dining room, blanket trailing behind me. I slide open the back door and step outside for just a moment before concerned shouts pull me back to safety.
    The sky is louder than it is bright, and the writer in me is already scrolling through metaphors to describe its anger. But as I continue to watch the spectacular show, I no longer see it in such a harsh light. I imagine the clouds as arrogant Labrador puppies, trying to outdo each other with playful growls. Then, one of them gets the idea to flash its teeth. Soon, all of them are doing it, lighting up the heavens with brilliant flashes of white.
    Or maybe the sky is lonely. There is a hint of blue in the corner of my vision. That patch of color is transformed into a small girl clinging to her childhood. She steps into the darker days of her life. She is afraid. The world is loud and unfamiliar, and she cowers. But still, she feels a song of strength rising from the depths of her heart. She sends streaks of light into her surroundings with a shout of defiance, and everyone shares in her joy.
    I don't understand the logical explanation of lightning my dad imparts to me as I take in this marvel of nature. And I find that I don't care. My eyes are full of wonder, and my hands hold symbolism like a colorful standard. I am a writer. I am the girl who looks up.

• Starlitskies

OMG ANNE CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You're such a talented writer, you definitely deserve it! And I saw this is not the only piece, so I'm gonna run off now to read the others. :)
    Re: Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my piece! And also I think I forgot to reply to another comment that you left earlier on another piece. So thank you for that too! Sorry about that, life's being quite hectic lately. <3

woah! that's huge! so proud of you! it takes a lot of grit and writing talent and you, of course, have all of that and more. this is also so sweet and just beyond words... keep writing, anne!
    <3<3<3

Ahh congrats on the win! i reviewed one of the pieces, but couldn't find time to do the others... Nevermind! This is absolutely beautiful, you deserved that key! And The Campbell's Kid too! And congrats on the honourable mentions too!

Not trying to be cheesy, but the site wouldn't be the same without you Anne!

also sorry for spamming your comments but...this piece...amazing. is it the one you entered? i have a vague memory of reading something that you wanted to enter--ngl i cant remember what it was or if it was even you (plz dont take that personally i have a *really* bad memory and life is stressful atm).

also i just read your message board! THAT IS AMAZING!!!!! Do you have a link so i can see the competition? Oh MY GOSH!!! YOu have NO idea how ecstatic (i never use that word lol) i am for you!!

you are basically the only one who picked up on that metaphor. even my teacher (christian teacher) missed it *facepalm* you have no idea how happy it makes me that you caught that little detail!!!

• Tushar Mandhan

I do agree sometimes the logical and scientific explanations must sit and give way for the poetic, artistic thoughts. To quote from dead poet's society, 'medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.'