Emi

Child of God
American
Patriot
Diecisiete
Ravenclaw
Rider of the Rohirrim
Narnian
Prydain
District 12
Chef
Gardener
Writer
Artist
Seamstress
Homeschooler
Romantic
Nerd
Archer
Rifler

"And even when you think you're finished, it's not over yet," for KING & COUNTRY, "It's not Over yet"
"All of my dirt, all of my shame drowned in the streams that've made me born again," Jordan Feliz, "The River."
"Scars come with livin,' you are not alone," TobyMac, "Scars (Come With Livin')"
"I might bend but I won't break, I'll fight the elements," TobyMac "The Elements."
"Stand tall but above it all, fix my eyes on You," for KING & COUNTRY, "Fix My Eyes"
"Run wild, live free, love strong, you and me," for KING & COUNTRY "Run Wild."
"One by one we will call for a ceasefire...one by one, reaching out to our enemies" for KING & COUNTRY, "Ceasefire."
Currently reading Dubliners by James Joyce

16 Amazing Writers We Should All Aspire To Be

PROMPT: Enumeration

25
1. J.R.R. Tolkien. 
I'm sorry, Stephen King, but you need to move over. Tolkien has been the Emperor of Fantasy since the Lord of the Rings was published. Tips to learn from him: don't forget about poetic description, and don't be afraid of writing long works.

2. Robert Louis Stevenson
Master of adventure and battles on the high seas, this author surprisingly suffered from ill health and was stuck at home most of the time. Tips to learn from him: excitement and drama will draw any reader in to a story.

3. Louisa May Alcott
Her books were based off of her actual life, though tweaked a little to pacify her publishers. Her family-oriented novel Little Women does not shy away from teaching important lessons. Tips to learn from her: semi-autobiographical work is beautiful when done with realistic emotions, yet sometimes changed circumstances.

4. Lucy Maud Montgomery
Mother of girlhood stories and pure-hearted, romantic novels, most of her novels were nostalgic love letters to her beloved Prince Edward Island. Tips to learn from her: a story about someone's life can be both emotional and a page-turner, so long as it is done with a proper amount of a romantic spirit.

5. Suzanne Collins
Though her character Katniss is negatively compared with Bella from Twilight, Collins still captures readers' attention with her impressive sci-fi novels. Tips to learn from her: characters can be tough and yet pure-hearted at the same time, and readers still buy it.

6. Charles Dickens
He wrote of what he saw; he wrote realistically, and his characters are often caricatures of important social issues. Tips to learn from him: social issues can be addressed through your writing, and many times a character's personality can be described through the objects and people they surround themselves with.

7. Lewis Carroll
Author of the quirky Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, he shows a superb power of wit and punny language. Tips to learn from him: sometimes it's okay to be clever with words and write pure comedy.

8. William Shakespeare
A playwright, Shakespeare wove deep meaning into his plays, disguised with comedy or tragedy, and had characters that we both root for and hate. Tips to learn from him: sudden turns in plot will wake your readers up and have them anticipating your next move.

9. James Fenimore Cooper
Best known for his The Last of the Mohicans, Cooper wrote his first novel on a dare from his wife. His epic saga about the hunter Natty Bumppo and his companion Chingachgook are still beloved to this day. Tips to learn from him: romanticism can be coupled with action to make a powerful novel.

10. Jane Austen
Esteemed romance writer (probably the best) who is still making fangirls out of us up to the present day, her novels poke fun at social conventions. Tips to learn from her: a good romance need not be steamy, and through the guise of a story one can be satirical about stupid social conventions.

11. Mark Twain
I know, probably all of you in public school aren't allowed to read his stuff, but it does have some merit, even if the satire goes over censors' heads. He really understood people and how they think. Tips to learn from him: a good laugh can make a book great, and never shy away from colloquialism.

12. Fyodor Dostoevsky
A deep, dark Russian writer whose novels include murders by axe, patricides, affairs, and enough implied sordidness to keep everyone satisfied. However, through it all he shows that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Tips to learn from him: subtlety in a theme can sometimes be much more powerful than a rant.

13. C. S. Lewis
His beautiful, innocent Chronicles of Narnia is more than just a children's book series. For older readers, I would recommend his Greek god retelling Till We Have Faces or his surreal Space Trilogy. Tips to learn from him: symbolism can bring a powerful message to any tale.

14. Herman Melville
Sailor of the high seas and writer of the whaling ships, Melville uses his personal experiences and old sailors' tales to craft stories of whales or mutiny aboard ships. Tips to learn from him: an old yarn can be the best inspiration for a story.

15. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Clever creator of Sherlock Holmes, the ingenious detective. Tips to learn from him: it's very handy for an author to have both a skill with words and a quite-witted mind.

16. Edgar Allan Poe
Moonstruck writer of the murkiest depths of his soul. He was also an alcoholic because he never got over his wife's death. Tips to learn from him: sometimes it's okay to write the darkest parts of your mind.

• Bhavya's Treasure

Re: Thank you, Emi! I'll keep tossing these characters in my mind, to try stringing up some stories... :D
    Yes, Paro is that minor bad guy. XD
    And well Renuka is a slightly exaggerated version of a real life person in my school. *smiles sadly*
    Just a pinch of turmeric, enough to make milk look like butterscotch.
    Well, actually the first time you'll have it, it might not taste good but now I'm pretty used to it. :)
    In Indian households, you'll spot obsessively caring mothers forcing turmeric milk down the throats of their repulsive children who just got their knees scratched by falling from cycles or bikes... So, just try a small cup of it. The rest you can decide. XD

And I just noticed Savanna's quote in your message box. :D
    Good day!

• Rachaelgrace

AHHHHH agree, agree, agree... lol
    I especially love the description of Jane Austen, Edgar Allen Poe, and JR.R. Tolkien

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

Re: aww, i appreciate your feedback and comments more than you know. and yeah, odysseus was not a hero. penelope and telemachus were way better people in general. i haven't read the iliad, though.

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: haha, welp idk that that’s really what it was. Maybe he was just staring for some reason? But thank you for the encouragement!! I’m kinda afraid to go back! XD

• Bhavya's Treasure

Wow! This page is full of legendary people!!!
    And it reminds me how much more there's left for me to read and re-read. :D

Re: Thanks a lot, Emi! I think i had read Lewis Carroll but that was almost 5 years back and now I've forgotten it... I've to re-read so much! XD
    And I love this word, 'winsome'.
    Yes, I am pretty well too. :)
    Thanks again!

• bookmagic

Although I believe Edgar Allen Poe and Jane Austen should be higher on the list, I totally agree with you. (Sorry, Stephen KIng, your writing is good, but I'mma have to agree with Emi. Move over!)

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

amazing! must have been hard to pick, though... because there are SOOOO many great authors. j.k. rowling, for one, john green, the bronte sisters, oscar wilde, rick riordan, jennifer donnelly (the quotes from her book stepsister just tear me apart), christopher paul curtis, cornelia funke, isabel allende (although i don't recommend copying her writing style, it's pretty elaborate), anne lamott (!), ray bradbury (intense social commentary), homer (questionable lessons in the odyssey, but still a joy to read in the fagles translation), malcolm gladwell (nonfic), andy andrews (fic and nonfic), shannon messenger, james riley, madeleine l'engle, margaret atwood, stephanie gerber (never read a more spellbinding, enchanting, seductive, darkly fantastical series—the words felt like shivers of magic slipping through my soul). hey that was semi-poetic!
    ok, stopping now...
    love this list still, i only regret that i haven't read more of their works...

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

YESSSSS!! Tolkien and Collins are my favorite authors currently!! And Dumas! :) thank you for writing this!

part 2 for grocery aisle romance

Yes yes yes! All these authors are amazing! Louisa May Alcott is amazing! Another one you could put in would be Agatha Christie.

Replying to the Ravenclaw Werewolf's comment: JK Rowling's books are amazing, and I will never shy away from being a Potterhead, but her recent comments about the Trans community is why I don't think she would've earned a spot on this list. Her books are truly amazing, but we need to look at the person too....

wow, yes amazing! i especially love l.m. montogmery, austen, and luisa alcott. yay! you should add the bronte sisters. they really added a lot to literature from jane eyre to the tenet of wildfell hall (which i can not wait to read). oh, and if you really want to go all feminest-y, add Mary Wollstonecraft. she wrote the vindication of the rights of women and was like the first major feminist lady. totally check her out. this is a quote from her book which i think is so powerful and amazing: "“My own sex, I hope, will excuse me, if I treat them like rational creatures, instead of flattering their fascinating graces, and viewing them as if they were in a state of perpetual childhood, unable to stand alone.”
    yeah.... so great job and sorry for rambling about stuff that's not that related! <3 <3 <3

• (sk)eyesofocher

yes yes i agree with every one of them! especially the first :)

This is true!! these are such amazing writers!!

• The Ravenclaw Dragon

Another good one could be J.K. Rowling. Tip to learn- change what people think of dark and scary, make a saga about it, and the world will go through a whole new writing period. This is really creative! Keep on writing!

Re: Thanks!
    Okay that is just pathetic. Katniss is a boss.

Can I add Agatha Christie to this list? I aspire to write in a way that will leave the reader needing more and to leave them shocked--but satisfied--at the ending.

• birthdaycandles

My heart did a little backflip whenever I saw Montgomery on this list.
    I'd put Mary Shelley on this list too, for Frankenstein. I think for me she proved that women can have an interest in science and anatomy. She also is similar to Cooper who wrote his novel because of a dare. Shelley began Frankenstein when she was in Switzerland with a group of other famous writers, where they were all challenged to write a horror story when the rain was so incessant on their trip. She really stepped up to that challenge! Love this list Emi!

Wait a sec who's shading Katniss?!

• Halopoet

I was litterally looking out for Oscar wilde to be at the start of the list.

• Elissa

These authors are amazing and they have such great works! There are a few that I don't know yet, but I want to look more into them.

• julia*

I literally adore every one of these authors!!!!! they made so many amazing works