Quarkoala

My Passions:
-Physics.
-Writing.
-Math.
-Reading.
-Music.
-Computer science.

My Large Collections:
-Books.
-Tabletop games.

Who here's good at solving riddles?

SOLVED/CLOSED Late Night Riddle (or Middle of the Day, Depending on Your Time Zone)

1
It's kind of late (in my time zone), and I have a riddle for you:

One day, many articles were published about how the average chance of dying below the age of 50 had increased by 100% since last year. Other articles said that this chance increased by 1% since last year. All of them were correct. These articles were published on the same day, they were both about humans on Earth, and were written by humans on Earth. What was the chance of dying below the age of 50 last year, and what is it this year?
Leave your answer in the comments, along with a link to one of your pieces. First person to get it right gets a follow and a comment on their piece.

• Cressida

Could you comment on this piece?
    This was an interesting riddle!

if it had increased by 100% since last year, that means it’s doubled. but it’s also increased by 1%, so...argh!

• Cressida

Oops my answer was the same as @best at procrastinating guess I got it wrong

• Cressida

Dying below 50, that is :)

• Cressida

The average chance of dying this year would be 1 percent last year and 2 percent this year (right?)

• journal.scribbles

Hmm... I'm stumped. This is going to keep me up all night! :)

• journal.scribbles

Wait, sorry, just reread the question. 1/100 died last year, and 1/50 died this year? Cool riddle btw.

• journal.scribbles

Last year 0 people below the age of 50 died, and this year 1 person below the age of 50 died??? https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/161620/version/316238