mia_:)

13 || she/her || wtw's resident adoptee :)

let's be friends! :) <3

mochi waffle :D

est. march 5, 2020

I would LOVE feedback on this! Also, it's for Round 2 of K-9crazy's challenge, which is why I'm back! Haha, that lasted, what, 24 hours? I'll still be publishing, but MUCH less until I can fully commit once school is over.

i will survive #ekphrasis1 #126(4) (feedback PLEASE!!! <3)

18
your arms enveloped me,
    billowing waves of toxic cloth
        embracing me, hugging me.
            choking me. killing me.

you snapped your key to my heart that night.
    i changed the lock, rendered your seductions useless,
        needle and thread whipping around the frayed hem
            of my broken heart. you abandoned me, but i had
                shut you out long before. all the pain had swirled 
                    down the drain long before you snapped, before
                        you filled my ears with venomous slander. 
                            the sound of the final deadbolt clicking into place,
                                my fingers pressed against the underbelly of the door,
                                    it was like a blow to the rib cage. but, as my skeleton
                                        splintered, my spirit could finally fly free.

but it still stung.
    stings. present tense
        is an agonizing truth.
            it aches. your absence aches.
                but i will survive.
                    you can't grind me into nothing that easily.
                        i refuse to let you in. you won't hurt me again.
                            i unlock my chains and weld the shackles into
                                a new idea. mutual love, a delicacy that i'll save
                                    only for the worthy. which you are not. you never were.

your cobalt-blue eyes still haunt me,
    holes threatening to swallow me.
        flares of anger smattered throughout
            hypnotic iris, stormy seas that no ship
                dared sail. the docks remain full,
                    leaving you to drown in your own hatred.

i douse myself in music to numb the ache,
    the empty hole in my heart that your 
        coveted presence used to fill.
            i stir jazz into my coffee.
                country sits by me as we watch the 
                    sunset from my porch, filling the void.
                        rock and roll, noise pollution, and heavy metal
                            keeps me up at night, daring me to fall asleep.
                                i resist slumber's tempting lull, afraid of what 
                                    will find me once i render myself defenseless
                                        against your lingering demons.

but you are no longer the missing piece
    to my puzzle, the letter filling the crossword slot
        at an intersection. i've crossed off your name,
            sworn at your intentions, and written you out.
                you and i will play this game no longer.
                    i throw down my hand, hearts and spades
                        spilling onto the coffee table. not a forfeit.
                            no, you won't have that victory. more like
                                a demonstration, a testimony to my worth.
                                    a vow that, through fire and ice, from
                                        sunrise to dusk and back again,

i     will     survive.
this piece is based on I Will Survive, by Gloria Gaynor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARt9HV9T0w8

words: 2 (abandoned), 6 (music) and 8 (anger)

also, I don't hate rock music! In fact, it's my favorite genre! There's this AC/DC song that says something about rock and roll and noise pollution, so I kinda drew inspiration from that :D

1

Wow this is amazing! I love how you took inspiration from a song and made it into your own thing! my fav line/and one that hit deep: as my skeleton splintered, my spirit could finally fly free.
    That evokes such imagery!

Replying: Yeah, it's for cherryn's comp. No worries about Padlet.

• delete

Fantastic how you drew such inspiration from these songs and was able to weld such an effective and romantic poem! The content is so dramatic, pulling the reader in to your speaker’s chaotic and troubled mind. Perhaps you could say that the speaker is stubborn for not letting their interest in. Also, I love the downwards shape of your poem. Looking at all the verses together shapes the poem like a spiral or tornado, sort of another theme of chaos there. Fantastic, I hope you get a good result!

• OpalDove

The competition results are out! Go check em out!

• lianhabanana!

Also Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

• lianhabanana!

Replying: Sorry I meant to delete the May 31st bit. They are due June 12. :)

• inanutshell

omg i love this! especially the stanza about music "i stir jazz into my coffee/country sits by me as we watch the/sunset from my porch, filling the void." so simple yet effective.

• Just_Those_Christmas_Memories (#Holidayvibes)

Replying: Thunderstruck is my favorite too! My dad always played it when he drove me to school lol. Sad that my brother will be doing it from now on (When we get out of the house finally that is). P.S. Thanks for the vote of confidence! x3

OMG! AC/DC IS AMAZING! XD Sorry. I had to say it first. Gloria Gaynor has some wonders too. Love it, mia_:)! Can't wait to see more from you

• joella

my peer review still hasn't gone through :/ *send virtual donut to compensate*
    I hope you get it in time for the challenge!
    also, thanks for all the love <3 <3

• birthdaycandles

Wowowowow this is so powerful, “a testimony to my worth”! Such a power booster of a poem! This poem does the song justice :)

Replying: Yeah, collaborating sounds awesome!

• OpalDove

Response: The results will be coming out ASAP. My schedule's a little tighter than it used to be, but it will definitely be out before Friday. :)

• Madeline Harper

‘i throw down my hand, hearts and spades/ spilling onto the coffee table. not a forfeit.’ Omg WHERE do you get all these ideas from? Aren’t you 13? I love this line so much, especially the fact that you chose hearts and spades, kinda like hearts representing love and spades like death (burying a dead relationship? Idk that’s ow I perceive it anyway). The small details really make your work come to life. You’re going places.

• Writers of the World

replying: mia_:)
    no the survey isn't required but it'd help a ton if u took it--plus, it's anonymous! also, do whatever makes you comfortable!

Replying: Thanks! And you're allowed to plagiarize your own piece lol. <3

“ you and i will play this game no longer.
    i throw down my hand, hearts and spades “
    i love these lines! such a nice almost (?) play on words! your hand, as in a hand of cards, and the hearts and spades! beautiful and clever as always!!

Replying: Fingers crossed!!

Replying: No worries! My parents are fairly strict, too. I'm allowed this and Facebook. I begged them for Padlet so I could talk to Dylan Riley (Two Heartbeats) and WhispersOfGray. I use it strictly as a way to message them. My dad did a ton of his fancy "is this secure" checks on the site, and it's great. Don't stress if you're not allowed, though.

• Dmoral

replying
    i would very much love my prizes! because if i choose not to come back, i will save all my pieces & reviews i got to my computer so i can access them on my own!

Replying: Do you have padlet? I'd love to talk to you outside of comments sometime.

Replying: Girl, what would I do without you. Your support never fails to make me smile. Thank you. <3

• OpalDove

Response: Yes, I got your link. I just didn't want to target Anne :P

• poetri

Replying: the deadline is the twentieth! Go ahead and enter that piece, I can't wait to read it :)

• elliem

Also, this piece is STUNNING! I don’t know how you do it, girl. You are a clever little writer and I want your secrets >:)

• elliem

Replying: thanks so much again, Mia! <3 I’m really glad you liked it, and of course you’d be able to do something like it if you want! I’d be honoured. :) If you do, make sure to send me a link so I don’t miss it because I’d love to see it.

• joella

reply: okay, so first I just have to say- I LOVE donuts. I think we'd be good friends irl- I'm so glad that we're getting to know each other better too!! also, tyyy for all the love on my recent piece. it honestly made my night <3 <3 <3 I'll probably get the peer review started tonight and finish tomorrow. I hope it goes through in time for the comp!

• joella

good luck with the competition :) I'd be happy to write a peer review if you haven't submitted this yet (because otherwise it's kinda unnecessary.) this is amazing!!
    also, ofc you can call me jo :)

Oh. My. Gosh. "i stir jazz into my coffee." WHAT. And that entire last stanza I looked for my favorite line but it was just the whole thing.