joella

she/her | high school | wasian | enfp

"i breathe color into deflated rubber lungs, a latex fairy godmother"

formerly ★ white mountains ★

I wrote this piece a while ago (back when I was trying to write a piece a day). I originally intended it as the beginning of a novel but then decided it was too cliche...found it today and decided to publish it because I think it's kind of cute :)

feedback welcome and appreciated as always!

11
 TRANSCRIPT OF RECORDING; 00:15:23

Is it on?
    What does that red light mean?
Oh, it is on! 
    But I was supposed to start!
It’s okay. We’ll just pretend this part didn’t actually happen.
    Okay, this is the actual beginning. Ignore the part before. Anyways, hi, future selves! Hi, future Jaycee!
And future Elinor!
    So, today in Mr. Ross’s class we read a book called The Time Capsule. It was about a boy who finds a time capsule his grandfather buried in his yard. And then Mr. Ross told us to write a list of things we would put in if we made a time capsule for our grandchildren. 
That’s not what he said!
    Yes it is! Anyways, we decided to make one, but there’s nowhere to bury it because our apartment building has no backyard like the boy in the book. So we asked Elinor’s mother for ideas, and she said she had a voice recorder and that we could make recordings for our future selves.
I taught Jaycee how to use it so we could make it.
    I already knew how. I just didn’t know which button made it start.
No you didn’t. 
    It doesn’t matter, okay? Anyways, we’re making this first recording, and our grandkids will be able to hear about our lives.
So now we’re going to tell you about us right now. My full name is Elinor Barbara Johnson.
    And my full name is Jaycee McAdams. 
I’m named after my grandma from my mom’s side and my great-grandma from my dad’s side. My birthday is on the first day of September, so it just happened. We’re going to have a party next week because that’s when my grandma, the one from my dad’s side, is coming to Chicago all the way from Rhode Island. 
    And my birthday is on June twenty-first. It’s not for a long time. 
I know.
    You’re supposed to say how old you are now!
Oh, right. I’m eight years old now.
    I’m older because I already turned eight.
And...Jaycee, what’s next?
    I’ll say it because I remember better. We are in third grade this year, in Mr. Ross’s class.
In the Blue Room!
    That’s baby stuff.
I like blue, Jaycee.
    Well...I guess I do too. Never mind. Anyways, our class has twenty-three kids, which is a lot, I think. Our friends in the class are Amy and girl Nicki and boy Nicky and Emma and Danielle and Deborah. And David and Molly sometimes. 
You forgot Sky.
    She’s not our friend.
Fine, but she’s my friend.
    Not your best friend. That’s me. 
I know, Jaycee.
    Anyways, our enemies in the class are: well, first Lisa, because she’s the worst. And the meanest. She thinks she’s so cool, but we don’t like her.
Also we don’t like Elmira and Kiki because they’re her friends. 
    Them too. And we also don’t like Jason and Quince and Michael.
We call them the stinky boys.
    But we really like Kaden. 
     [giggles]
Yeah. He’s nice.
    He thinks I’m pretty.
He never told you that, Jaycee.
    I can just tell.
He’s my neighbor, not yours.
    I know!
Anyways, we’re going to share him, right?
    Right. Okay, so those are the kids in our class. 
Not all of them.
    Most of them. 
     [unintelligible]
    Elinor, your mom is calling you.
I don’t hear anything.
     [unintelligible]
    She said it’s time for dinner, Elinor!
Okay. I guess we’ll record more later.
How do you turn it off?
    Like this.
It’s still on! 
    Maybe it’s this butto– 

-END OF TRANSCRIPT-

• birthdaycandles

Aww this is the sweetest thing! I love the transcript format, it’s different from anything I’ve seen before, and I love it! I agree with Mia, I could definitely picture this in my head, reading it was like having a mini movie play through my mind :)

This is really funny, and certainly cute. It really makes me think of two third-graders and how kids behave in general.

• mia_:)

Can I call you Jo? :P

• mia_:)

Aww, those were the good ol' days! That was so cute! I can totally picture this! Haha, this had me smiling and daydreaming about those school projects. Wow, Jo, every time you transport me to somewhere different! Great work!!! <3<3<3

aghhh so nostalgic! oh how i miss being 8 and young and careless. “ Fine, but she’s my friend. Not your best friend. That’s me. I know, Jaycee. “ GAAHHH THAT WAS SO ADORABLE!! a delight to read as always jo!!

This is so well written ,it reminds me of when I was this young doing things with my friends or sister.Its so cute,and I think you did a great job in speaking like they were 8! I really love this

This is so sweet!! It made me nostalgic for when I was that age.

• journal.screams (#Queenie's Halloween)

I love this so much! It's so cute! The dialogue feels super natural. I can picture Jaycee and Elinor making this. Omg, it's so good!

• Just_A_Memory

This was so COOL! I absolutely adored the characters! Adorable!

this is really cute! these eight year olds are really well spoken but that just makes them more adorable. brings me back to my childhood years (wait a second i'm still young tho lol). this was a fun and light read perfect for nighttime. also, thank you for the love on 'stardust human'! <3 <3