Cressida

she/her | mixed
aspiring scientist and writer | musician

status: constantly eating cheetos

joined: late april, 2020

So, I tried to write a sonnet, but on one of the lines the iambic pentameter got messed up, and the last line doesn’t even rhyme but at that point I gave up. TL;DR, this needs help, if you have any suggestions on the title and the rhyme and such, I’d be much obliged :)

chemically favored love

15
 i, serotonin purged and bleeding jars
of dopamine, peel back the fleshy walls
of my rib cage, marrow sticking like tar.
i rip out from my blushing flesh a small
morsel of this soft heart and call it love. 
tragic, isn’t it, that i cried those Mays 
in salt and spat those epinephrine doves,
yet in my dreams, electrical brain waves

only display your pallid face, fragile
crow wings, those jutting bones, those feathers ooze
i must confess that we are chemical
together, chemical waste degrading soon.
if only we weren’t so spontaneous.
if only our love wasn’t so entropic.
This originally was half art inspired half chemistry, but I decided to go all in on the chemistry. Might post the stuff I discarded later, might not.

• May 21, 2020 - 10:21am (Now Viewing)

• muirann

Looking through your profile, I've decided this is my favorite piece of yours! I've always found scientific words to be so, so poetic. Like in your other pieces, your use of metaphors is extraordinary!

• Currently Unavailable

Come check out my piece about all my followers and how awesome they are!!! :)

• mia_:)

I love it when someone weaves science into something so beautiful! It's so amazing that you're able to write a sonnet (i'm too scared to attempt anything other than free verse for fear of breaking one of the millions of rules!) and this is amazing! <3

boy do i love when people mix chemistry and writing. you do it so, so well, each and every line is so vivid and you sow the terms into your writing so well. argh, i’m such a nerd. amazing job!

• joella

I know a piece is out of my league when I need to look up words used...this is beautiful :)

• van gogh's girl

Whoa. You did a really beautiful modern thing with such a rigid classic form