Dmoral

est. 2018
she/her | junior
semi active; chaotic life.
published writer + classics enthusiast.
[current read: collection of poems by e. dickenson]

pulled this piece outta the junk drawer--got clogged up with all my other published work

btw, some it fiction, some is true, some if slightly very much exaggerated

sixteen tragedies (one for every year of life)

29

i. teen pregnancies are nothing like tv shows it to be; no, your grandparents accept your blood mother's, while whispering harsh nicknames every time she complains about stomach pains. and oh no, crazy isn't a gene--unless you're part of that family tree. but don't worry honey, you aren't for we adopted you. that's what your now-family says to you but you know better, adoption means legally, it's biology that'll screw you over.

ii. you don't remember her first single motherhood years, you were too young to remember. all you know is that's when you met him, your father. blood isn't everything sweety, he's you father in the way that matters. that's what you're blood mother says every year you go and see her, asking about everything. and you know what she says is true (the only truth she's ever told), and you love him more than anything. daddy's little girl doesn't have anything to do with biology.

iii-v. your parents loved each other too much, that's why they separated. don't worry, it's not your fault-we'll take care of you, baby. and these words are covered in lace as they dance around your life, it seems they're naive to think you wouldn't be able to smell their toxicity and taste the ash on their lips.

vi. hidden in your back pocket are the secrets you hold when returning back to your family, visiting your blood mother isn't easy, but if you confessed what really happened while you stayed in her trailer, they'd never let you go back. six is young enough to cradle the desire of knowing your 'true' mommy but old enough to know her parenting is wrong.

vii. you don't remember these years & think it's for the best.

viii & ix. electronics become your friends when you grow up in a generation where they're shoved in your hands. typing came naturally, but you also learned to find joy in writing with that chewed up pencil, you found under the sink, two(?) weeks ago.

x. you're two digits into this thing called life and never felt more lost (wait 'til your a teenager and people shove the word future down your throat). divorce is normal and you've yet to figure out why your friends freak out when even the word is uttered. most days you get the hang of things and smile at your colorful bothers and sisters, while other days you wink at boys while still thinking they have cooties.

xi-xiii. preteens are overrated when you're that age and middle school is idiotic because no one knows what they're doing. but hey, at least you met somebody that letting the word forever slip doesn't sound like a fantasy. yes, young and in love, we'll call you two romeo and juliet-but without the stars.

xiv. highschool man, no one's ever truly ready.

xv. tattoos, parties, and everything else your mother won't ever let you have. i'm grown enough to know, you like to argue, but the rest of the words just stop at the barrier you call a tongue. immediately, she sinks her claws and opinions into your skin, scraping the idea of rebellion off your ego and scolding you with her words of fire.

xvi. freedom is a seven letter name that you crave. and yes, leaving is easy when you dream about it.
lowercase intentional.
Finished: 5/15/2020
Quarantine blues & tragedies, hope you enjoy the s t o r y.

2

• Wisp

You brought this story to life in a way that watching it in a movie never would. The title stole me away and your writing is just impeccable as always. Sixteen years is a long time, and here I am barely hitting my one five.

• Eblinn

okay, this was so true and real. it's so goood.
    (reply) yeah I have read The Yellow Wallpaper but I didn't think about that story when writing this. thank you for the comment and the followww<3

Omg! Wow! This just made my jaw drop

• erin!

i don't know if this was written for your birthday (in which case happy birthday) but i just love everything you write. the first line alone hit me and they just kept rolling. you're right, no one's ever ready for high school, but you write with a wisdom that makes me think you're ready for a lot of things.

• løne wølf

wow :O

• poetri

Sorry to bother but q&a answers are up!

• Cressida

This felt so.... intimate (for lack of a better word), and in an astonishing and stunning way. My favorite sections were i, iii-iv, and vii (probably for its one-sentence power punch). Have to admit, couldn’t agree more with xiv :). Overall, this was... wow (in a good way of course) and I can’t help but read it over and over again.

• CrazyNinjaKid

Replying: Omg thank you for all your lovely comments :))

• joella

hi! sorry for the spam, but q&a answers are up :)
    https://bit.ly/3cDOvZd

• BirdofPrey

woah

• Doodleninja

you have some amazing, hilarious, poignant one-liners in here like "high school man, no one's ever truly ready" and then "you're two digits into this thing thing called life and never felt more lost". I love it and I very much enjoyed the s t o r y :D

• joella

your ability to completely draw the reader into your pieces is incredible. this is amazing

• Halopoet

This is sooo proffesional and unique and sarcastic and i just loveeee it. Also the name is very cool(sorry im not good with adjectives)

• poetri

oh my god this is gorgeous