sunny.v

she/her | asian
wtw community’s official older sister
running off into the sunset with circe
est. april 27, 2020

swordwielding protector of all minority groups
satire sorceress, lady knight

she clasps peonies, allure, & love

my ap exams are upon me! feedback is very loved (reposting bc i keep forgetting to check the dang peer review option)

actually, my name is

46
i offer my name to you as my crown jewel
wrapped up in simple english syllables and tied up in familiar sounds
it is my name and it is what you will call me
and you will accept it, and you will savor how it fits so easily in your mouth

actually, my real name is of my mother language, of dusty mahjong tiles
and knowing this, you hold my name on your tongue like liquid lead
well: anything that an english-speaker cannot pronounce is fool’s gold
so i will smile and i will tell you my american moniker and i will apologize and admit that my real name is nothing but pyrite

actually, my name is nhu-ngoc, and it is an ugly, ugly gem
you will laugh at the way i present it, so i will cover it up and translate it into english to suit your palette
please stop laughing, in english it is “jade”, and jade is beautiful, considered semi-precious, and i cannot bear to be ashamed of this, too
i will smile and i will end up hurling my jewels far from me like i am skipping worthless stones across the water

actually, my name is made of precise facets
it is the artificial cuts of a manufactured diamond
and i have perfected how i display it for so, so long in the hopes that you will buy it
i will smile and i will show you only one face of the gem, and that is how you will call me, and you will think it is beautiful, and you will be satisfied with its luster

actually, you’re right. that is my name.
-asian kids who go by their english name instead of their other one MAKE SOME NOISE BABY
-please still refer to me as Sunny, despite the irony, that really is my name. no one calls me Nhu-Ngoc or Jade
-POC people who can never get their names pronounced right *blows kiss* this is for you
-yell at me because i’m writing instead of preparing for my next AP exams

• May 19, 2020 - 8:06am (Now Viewing)

• pineapples

literally so true thoughhh (i don't go by my 'american' name but yeah, nobody pronounces it correctly on the first try....)
    and, it kinda sucks that some people are like,,, make your name 'american' i can't pronounce it.... hello? excuse me, no thank you...
    i have a korean classmate whose name is ~pHoNeTiC and EaSy tO pRoNoUnCe~ and people were like, okay, we gotta get you an aMeRiCaN NaMe,,, like,,, no, we don't it is fine, i will try to pronounce your name if you want me to... your name doesn't have to be easy for me to say,,,,
    okay, sorry this comment was rambly and venty, and it didn't really make sense lol

• løne wølf

This is so powerful and beautiful!
    i got laughed at when i was younger because no one could pronounce my middle name, and substitutes had to say my middle name because there was another girl in my school district with the SAME exact name as me-

• Hiba Shaikh

Thats so beautiful...!! Shoutout to all the weird names in the world (including me) who are nothing but beautiful gems..#onelove

• asta

beautiful!

• delete

Hey, Sunny! This is such a creative and original piece. I’m so blown away with what you’ve come up with and how you use the idea of jewels to represent a name, showing that it’s precious as it makes a person who they are. I’m not Asian myself so I cannot relate so well, but I can understand the implications of racism because where I live and especially in my school there are many people with different ethnicities and have names that come from their native country, and some of them cover it up with an English nake because they feel people won’t understand or get their native name. Unfortunately, that’s the truth. A lot of people in this day and age are still ignorant of other cultures and people from other countries. Many people do laugh or make fun of someone with a different name to what they’ve heard before and it’s sad really. Another note, I really enjoyed the cyclical structure to tie it all together. The first verse and the last verse start and end the same, talking about names as a precious jewel, whereas in the middle you contrast this with exploring names as tarnished and ugly. Really good job!

• N.

replying: don't worry just yet, i care too much about this platform to leave at this point :) at the moment, some of my other writing is will be on wattpad @LunarMood but i haven't published much yet. i'm glad you're interested though, and i'm glad my tips helped! also, best of luck on your ap exams too!

• jun lei

hello! in response to your comment on my contest post, if you submit your entry by the 20th, it shall be accepted. thank you for your interest!

• N.

sooo glad i took the time to read this. every metaphor and simile is masterful and heart-wrenching. i can't say i can personally relate to this (though my grandmother had a chinese name that she never shared with my family because she assumed we wouldn't be able to say it) but the detail, diction, and repetition make your emotion clear and powerful. beautiful work, and welcome to wtw! :)

• Kayden

Replying: Oh hey no problem! I really enjoy reading your work so there's no need to thank me. If anything I should be thanking you for giving me such cool stuff to read! And actually I'm part Vietnamese. My mother is half Vietnamese and half Iranian and my father is American.

• efflorescence

"well: anything that an english-speaker cannot pronounce is fool's gold" and "that my real name is nothing but pyrite" hit very hard, especially as someone who also has a second name (except it's in Hebrew). i also adore the motif of precious jewels/stones running throughout your piece; it ties the stanzas together seamlessly. welcome to wtw, it's great to have your skill here

For some reason this almost made me cry. It's beautiful.

• birthdaycandles

Okay this is very relatable and very amazing. I think your name is pretty and unique! My name is the complete same with the wrong pronunciation thing, I wrote a piece about it for a prompt actually if you want to check it out! I also wanted to say thank you for your comment on my most recent piece, it meant a lot to me... but now I'm waiting for you to write a 'romance' piece so I can tell you that you ARE good at writing in the romance genre! I really love your writing, there's something refreshingly honest about it that makes me want to come back and reread your work. Awesome work :) *virtual high five*

• mia_:)

Hard to believe, but a surprising amount of people mis-pronounce Mia! So, I kinda understand this, though not to the same degree. Now, my Hebrew name? If I went by that, I would have it butchered constantly! This piece is beautiful! Good luck on your exams! <3<3

• inanutshell

this is written so well! i'm fortunate to be born in an Asian country where it's pretty common to give children official English names and Chinese names, so my english name is pretty standard but my Chinese name isn't, and sometimes people still make fun of it. sometimes i hide my Chinese name or do my best to say it right and just hope it doesn't draw a snide remark from others. so i really relate a lot to the line "i have perfected how i display it for so, so long in the hopes that you will buy it".

• Kayden

Sunny it is then! Although Jade and Nhu-Ncog are both still beautiful.
    I got really lucky with my name. My grandma is Vietnamese and when I was born she told my parents that they should let her help pick my name since I was their first child. Knowing that my grandma would pick a name that would be hard to pronounce, my parents decided on Kayden before she could do anything about it, and saved me from the fate of having my name be pronounced wrong for the rest of my life. Needless to say, I am very thankful! XD

Oh, Jade is such a beautiful name, whether in English or another language! I can completely relate; people are always pronouncing my last name wrong because it is Spanish.

• joella

reply: feel free to read it whenever you like! should've clarified; what I meant by the fiction thing is that I sometimes think that I might be fictional already (I don't really believe it, but it's a fun thought to entertain). either way, I'd love to be written into a story. that would be so cool! also, here's me yelling at you- GO STUDY NOW

• joella

this metaphor is exquisite! "well: anything that an english-speaker cannot pronounce is fool’s gold" and "i will smile and i will end up hurling my jewels far from me like i am skipping worthless stones across the water"...your writing is incredible <3
    sending u virtual stamina for ur ap exams...good luck lol!

replying: chinese! if you scroll through my works, a lot of my titles have chinese characters ehehe. not to mention the '99 ranch' thing in my bio (an asian supermarket). my username is kinda tied to my roots too. i'm really milking it lol.

• cherryn

Although my real name is short, I find that many people pronounce my name wrong. At first, it's okay, but then it just gets really annoying when they keep saying my name wrong. Sometimes I wish I had a more common name. I don't know why I'm saying this, but I guess I just wanted to comment this, because I sort of understand what you wrote in this piece. Anyways, thank you for writing a piece that many of us can relate to.

boy am i glad my parents gave me an official english name. my native-language name is virtually unpronounceable by western tongues (simply because the sound of the vowel isn't in the english language). beautiful piece that i'm sure a lot of people can relate to!

• Quarkoala

I love how this piece shows how complicated a question like "What is your name?" can be.

P.S. You should be preparing for your AP exams! Or sleeping, depending on which time it is for you. By the way, which AP exams are you taking this year? I took AP Calc.